Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

GrandpaPants posted:

Looking for urban fantasy along the lines of Neil Gaiman, Charles de Lint, Glen Cook's Garrett PI series, Dresden Files, etc.

Edit: I'm also interested in books of or on mythology, either the actual myths themselves (especially for anything that isn't Greek myth) or academic interpretations of myth, like Claude Levi-Strauss or Joseph Campbell's works.

If you want good urban fantasy, try China Mieville's books. His Bas Lag universe is a mix of that plus some steampunk. They're very good.

Can anyone recommend any good steampunk novels? I've read Whitechapel Gods, Clockwork Heart, a few others that I can't remember right now and I'm currently working on The Court of the Air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

Also, what are some good books taking place in Japan (pretty broad, but I dunno what I'm looking for, maybe some horror or whatever)?

If you want a good series that's heavily based on Japan, try Hearn's Tales of the Otori. There are three books, plus a prequel that I didn't bother with. I also enjoyed The Legend of the Five Rings series, which is based on a tabletop RPG that's also based on Japan. I loved it, but it's out of print now and may be very hard to find. It took me months to track down the fourth book.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Captain Q posted:

I really like Sci-fi, but only when it doesn't take itself seriously, a la The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The same way with fantasy. Any writers you guys can recommend?

A. Lee Martinez does this with both sci-fi (The Automatic Detective) and fantasy (Too Many Curses); Charles Stross' Bob Howard series; Tim Scott's two books; some people may not agree with me putting this here but Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson is pretty funny; definitely the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett; the Myth series by Robert Aspirin; and one of my favorites, Jim C. Hines' Jig the Goblin trilogy.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Blurred posted:

Can someone recommend me a good book about dinosaurs? Looking for something relatively in depth, which covers theories about their evolution and biology etc. rather than just a book with pretty pictures. Most of the dinosaur books I can find on Amazon seem geared towards children. :(

My hubby keeps recommending Raptor Red to me. Here's a quick Wiki quote:

quote:

Raptor Red is a 1995 fiction novel by paleontologist Robert T. Bakker. The book is a third-person account of dinosaurs during the Cretaceous Period, told from the point of view of Raptor Red, a female Utahraptor. Raptor Red features many of Bakker's theories regarding dinosaurs' social habits, intelligence, and the world in which they lived.

It's not necessarily about the evolution and science, but kind of a world-building thing. I have it on my reading list but I just haven't picked it up yet. It sounds really fascinating though. Let me know how it is if you get it.