Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Looking for some decent horror books in the vein of Stephen King, Clive Barker, Richard Laymon, Joe Hill and such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Casimir Radon posted:

Does anyone know of any scholarly books on the occult? I've been looking around but haven't found anything outside of the pseudo-scientific.

I don't know how scholarly they are, but you can probably read Montague Summers's stuff.
The History of Witchcraft and Demonology, 1926
The Vampire: His Kith and Kin, 1928
The Vampire in Europe, 1929
The Werewolf, 1933
A Popular History of Witchcraft, 1937
Witchcraft and Black Magic, 1946
The Physical Phenomena of Mysticism, 1947.

I've read Vampire in Europe and History of Witchcraft and Demonology and they were pretty interesting. Lots of folktales and legends and that kind of thing.

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Industrial posted:

I'm trying to find a gore or horror book/series/author/whatever in the style of Edward Lee, Richard Laymon, Jack Ketchum, etc. but without the sexual elements and child abuse. Just a straight up horror adventure I guess.

That's going to be hard. Clive Barker?

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I've heard good things about ''The Things They Carried'' by Tim O'Brien.

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I'm interested in reading some fiction taking place in Alaska. Any suggestions?

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Casimir Radon posted:

Is this what you're looking for?

No :(

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I'm looking for interesting horror, probably something written in the last 10 years (I'm open to old stuff, but I've mostly read everything).

Suggestions should take in account I'm a seasoned horror reader, so avoid the usual suspects (Lovecraft, King, Barker, Machen, Leiber, Tessier, Joyce, Masterton, Howard, Bloch, etc).

Thanks!

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Harcourt posted:

Being as specific as I think I was, I thought I'd have an army of readers chomping at the bit to tell me what books I should get. Unfortunately, other than CommunistMojo, no one's replied to my post. I ended up choosing Boneshaker as a gift for my gf and she loves it (so much so that I'd highly suggest it to anyone who thinks a post-apocalyptic/steampunk/zombie book sounds interesting). Anyone give me some more suggestions?

You have my word that, if you suggest a book she raves about and loves as much as some of her favorite works, I will buy you a beer :cheers:

Maybe something by Charles de Lint? Should work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I apologize if this has been posted. I only checked the last 3-4 pages.

It has recently come to my attention that I lack any real practical survival knowledge. If, god willing, there is some kind of apocalypse be it zombie-based or whatever, I would most likely starve/freeze to death. I am looking for a good book on survival knowledge that is also an interesting read.

I have come across the Army's survival guide (the one for civilians).
http://www.amazon.com/US-Army-Survival-Manual-21-76/dp/0967512395
It is too boring, watered down, and from the 1970's. I don't need info on how to grow a mustache and disco dance.

I know I am being vague, but it would be cool to know how to forage, hunt, build/repair electronics and mechanics, cook humans, etc. I know that this can be found in several books, but it would be nice to read something informative and fun in one nice package. Does this exist? If not, give me the best you have read.

EDIT: I know I mentioned zombies as a joke in the post, but I have already read Max Brooks' books.

I bought The Green Beret Survival Manual and so far it's an alright read and has useful information.

http://www.amazon.com/Mykel-Hawkes-Green-Survival-Manual/dp/0762433582