Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Millow posted:

I really like Vonnegut and Murakami and have read most of their offerings. Any other authors (and specific books) I should check out?

Check out George Saunders if you're looking for someone comparable to Vonnegut. He's sort of satirical and sort of heart-warming (or heart-wrenching). He's a little more vocal about his politics than Vonnegut was, but I wouldn't say his politics get in the way of his storytelling.

He has three short story collections and a novella. Of those I've only read through CivilWarLand in Bad Decline and I liked it a lot. The Braindead Megaphone is his latest collection of essays -- I'm reading it right now and it's enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

I've already got:
Black=Native Son, Richard Wright

Have you read Wright's Black Boy (it's a very loose autobiography but reads like fiction)? Also, check out Invisible Man if you haven't already.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I've been reading Paradise Lost, and while the annotations in my edition are certainly making sense of things, I think it's finally time I cracked open the Bible. I'm told it's been quite influential. :)

Now, I understand there are special "study" editions of the Bible geared towards scholars -- ones with annotations, attached essays, etc. I'd like to get one of these, something that's fairly non-denominational in its analysis. I guess I'm looking to read the Bible for the questions it posits, not the answers it provides.

Any recommendations, or are we all still reading The God Delusion? :dawkins101:

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Facial Fracture posted:

Someone started a thread with a similar question a few days ago, so check that out if you haven't already. The consensus choice seems to be the The New Oxford Annotated Bible http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Revised-Standard-Apocrypha-Hardcover/dp/019528478X

Wow, I totally missed that thread. Thanks for telling me about it, and the quick and dirty rec!