Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Fallorn posted:

Can any one give me some good mind numbing/or not urban fantasy/paranormal romance since they seem to be just about the same thing these days? I've read the Sookie Stackhouse books, Kim Harrison's books, and quite a few others. What is at least an entertaining read, please help me book barn, your my only hope!

The Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn is fairly good, as well as the Kate Daniels series by Illona Andrews. Bareback (Benighted in the US) by Kit Whitfield is also worth a read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I just finished DMT: The Spirit Molecule - can anyone recommend any similar books that go a little deeper into the stuff about near death experiences and windows into alternate realities, even if it's talking about how it's all bogus.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

quote:

I'm not sure if it was in this thread or another but someone recommended a book containing anonymous suicide letters and I wanted to read it but I can't remember the name and an Amazon search didn't bring anything up but a book with celebrity suicide letters which I really don't give a poo poo about, anyone remember/know the name of that book?

Is this it?

I bought this book by accident :downs:. Still haven't read it.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Impermanent posted:

This is all pretty wordy but I guess what I'm trying to say is that I feel like I need a breath of fresh air, novel wise. I like the humor of Adams and Pratchett but the themes and more in-depth character work of Tim Powers. The work doesn't need to be fantasy or sci-fi, but it just needs to be engaging and surprise me and be at least a little funny.

If I'm interpreting your requests properly, then you might want to try the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde, starting with The Eyre Affair. Very meta, but also very enjoyable if you like that kind of thing.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Looking for non-fiction regarding apocalyptic scenarios: ice age, meteor strike, nuclear war, etc. A look at the likelihoods, survival rates, etc. I would prefer speculation with scientific basis to "this is what we will do if zombies attack."

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Fame Throwa posted:

I'm looking for some books about werewolves. The vast majority of books involving werewolves seem to be some crazy woman's sex fantasy so its hard to find something decent. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Bareback aka Benighted by Kit Whitfield is fairly solid. I like the Kitty series by Carrie Vaughn as well, but that's probably a little more chick-lit than you were looking for.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

oceanside posted:

I really dig creative non-fiction like Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto and Consider the Lobster, or anything else by D.F.W. or Klosterman.

Can you guys recommend anything similar or of this calibre?

Sex, Drugs, Einstein and Elves and The Beginner's Guide to Immortality both by Clifford Pickover are both fairly interesting reads, if you're into that sort of thing.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

regulargonzalez posted:

Need recommendations for short stories of a specific type, that I'll probably fail pretty badly in describing. But essentially it's where, when you're done reading it, you marvel at how perfect the ending is, how it is the only possible ending, yet you never saw it coming. I'm thinking of stories like "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale" by Philip K. Dick, or "The Dead Past" by Asimov. "The Nine Billion Names of God" by Clarke is one that tries to do this but is less successful in my opinion (maybe because in this case I saw the end coming).
And to clarify, it doesn't have to be science fiction. If you can think of any short story writers who excel at this type of story, don't hesitate to recommend them no matter the genre.

Try All You Zombies, by Heinlen

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

wheatpuppy posted:

Thanks, dream owl, Hecuba, and funkybottoms! I have a lot of favorite YA authors from my own youth, but I don't know much about anybody from the past 20 years or so. I appreciate your help.

If she likes sci-fi as well as fantasy, try the Hex trilogy, by Rhiannon Lassiter. A little hard to find, if you don't want to use Amazon marketplace, but it's still one of my favourite series.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Bob A Feet posted:

Can someone recommend me another Vonnegut book to read?

I've read Slaughterhouse Five about three times, Breakfast of Champions once, and Cat's Cradle once. I'm going to reread the last two again but I want another one to move on to!

Mother Night is quite good - it's probably my second favourite after Slaughterhouse-Five. Sirens of Titan is also not bad.

I don't know what happened there, but I was beaten three times, with the same book recommendations.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Anyone know of any good books on Ethnobotany? I have Food of the Gods but I would like to know what else is out there. Similarly, I just finished Oaxaca Journal and was looking for recommendations on travel books that looked into some similar concepts, e.g. botany, history, culture, etc. I hope this isn't too vague.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

boonsha posted:

Today I caught my girlfriend reading Twilight, so I feel the need to get her
something better. She doesn't read much, but she used to really like Virginia Andrews books, and she's read a whole lot of Nicholas Sparks as well. She likes vampires, but is hesitant to read Dracula because it's "too old and predictable".
So if anyone can recommend some type of modern vampire story or just general girly romance stuff that would be awesome, thanks!

Try the Kate Daniels books by Illona Andrews or the Kitty Norville ones by Carrie Vaughn. Both are more werewolf centred, but they don't take a very romantic view of vampires, if that's what you want to encouragw. The Hollows series by Kim Harrison might also work too.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hey guys and gals, I'm trying to find good examples of meta-fiction, preferably novels but any sort of book is fine, as long as it deals with the meta aspects of writing.

So far I've read The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster and have House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski and Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar on my Amazon Wish List and know about stuff like Don Quixote, The Handmaid's Tale, Locos: A Comedy of Gestures and Pale Fire

I'd be looking mainly for newer works but any recommendations relating to sort of stuff like this at all would be helpful. Thanks!

My recommendation for metafiction will always be the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde. They're quite fun if you like that kind of thing, and it definitely helps to have some knowledge of literature.

Patrovsky fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

ArcticZombie posted:

Is John Marsden's 'Tomorrow series' any good? I recently saw the film on TV and I really liked the plot but I thought some parts seemed a bit flat, such as that religious girl breaking and shooting a bunch of people. I mean I knew it was going to happen eventually but it was very sudden and completely ignored for what was left of the film, among other things. Are the books any better? They're also YA novels which puts me off a bit but then again I love The Hobbit and that's a children's book so whatever. If they're junk are there any good books with this sort of invasion theme?

I think the books are much, much better than the movie. The events are explained a little more, and the characterisations aren't quite as 2D. There are some parts of the movie that I really liked, but I can read those books over and over again. Take that as you will. The scene you refer to didn't happen in the book, but there's a scene in the third one that's handled a lot better. For the most part, the movie seemed somewhat diluted.

Patrovsky fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 6, 2012