Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Radio Talmudist posted:

I'm reposting this from a separate topic I made in the forum, not realizing that there was a topic already devoted to recommendations:

I just finished gorging myself upon the 70 or so official Sherlock Holmes stories. My thirst for mystery is not yet satisfied, however, and I'm looking for another hefty mystery novel or collection of mystery stories to occupy my time. I'm not sure what I'm looking for more - extraordinary conundrums, unique, colorful detectives or vibrant historical settings. All three brought me to Sherlock Holmes in the first place. Psychological mind-benders are also welcome.

How is Agatha Christie? Is she actually a good mystery writer?
No. :braces self: She's occasionally amusing, to be fair (I particularly love The Big Four, which is basically Poirot vs pastiche criminal Illuminati), but overall don't bother.

There's a really good (and old) series of collections called The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes by Hugh Greene that should be dead easy to get hold of and collect detective stories from ACD's contemporaries - plenty of weird and gimmicky crimes and detectives in those.

If you like conundrums go for John Dickson Carr (aka Carter Dickson)'s books, his Gideon Fell books are full of locked-room mysteries and how-did-he-do-that? stuff. Ditto GK Chesterton's Father Brown stories.

More eccentric detectives: Edmund Crispin's Gervase Fen books - [b]The Glimpses of the Moon[b] is my favourite, and has a wonderfully lunatic supporting cast as well; and Gladys Mitchell has a wonderful mad-old-bat heroine in her Mrs Bradley mysteries - Mrs Bradley is an elderly, ugly and terrifying consulting psychiatrist who enjoys scaring the crap out of people. She's the kind of old lady I want to grow into. (These were filmed with Diana Rigg in the starring role, who is a terrific actress and looks amazing in 20s fashions but was terribly miscast.)

Sarah Caudwell wrote 4 books about a firm of lawyers and their old tutor who keep getting themselves into ridiculous situations involving murders - eccentric, funny and recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Timelord posted:

This poster wants the exact kind of books I am looking for, I did not see a response to him. Are there any books/authors of this nature that we would enjoy?
Some William Hope Hodgson might hit the spot if you've run out of Lovecraft and Poe - particularly The Ghost Pirates. Don't go by the title, it's not yo-ho-hoing revenants; it's about a sailing ship that's being hijacked by something malicious and hostile. If you like that try The Boats of the Glen Carrig (more episodic and more monster-of-the-week, but still fun). His other novels, The Night Land and The House on the Borderland are more cosmic horror than subtle horror, but still well worth a go, though for the love of your dinner skip the opening setup chapter of The Night Land; it's the ghastly apex of Victorian sentimentality and induces projectile vomiting in lab rats. Synopsis of said chapter: Narrator's true love dies, he goes nuts and starts having visions (or are they :dun dun dunnnnn: ) of Earth's far future when they'll be reunited. It's just a framing device for the novel proper and can safely be skipped. Carnacki the Ghost-Finder is a collection of short stories, some of which are very effectively creepy.

I think Arthur Machen was recommended earlier; him too. The White People and The Novel of the Black Seal are two of his best short stories - his short stories are best; his novels don't do much for me (except The Three Impostors, which is a sort of metafictional fix-up with embedded short stories).

e: f, spelling.

e2: vvvvv Enjoy! vvvvv

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 13, 2009

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Skutter posted:

If you want good urban fantasy, try China Mieville's books. His Bas Lag universe is a mix of that plus some steampunk. They're very good.

Can anyone recommend any good steampunk novels? I've read Whitechapel Gods, Clockwork Heart, a few others that I can't remember right now and I'm currently working on The Court of the Air.
Good luck with that fucker, I had to give up on it halfway through. How the hell did the author make it such a grind to read when it sounds so promising?

The only really good ones I've found so far have been Philip Reeve's Larklight series, which are hilarious pseudo-Victorian space fantasy. Marketed at kids, but don't let that stop you - they're awesomely good fun. e: come to think of it you can read the first chapters of all 3 at http://www.larklight.com/larklight.htm and see if they're for you.

Stephen Baxter's Anti-Ice and Colin Greenland's Harm's Way are decent too, and I'm just about to start George Mann's The Affinity Bridge, so I'll report back on that one.

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 21, 2009

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

markehed posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions along the line of Blink, the Undercover economist, Freakonomics and Mumbo jumbo? Easily digested facts combined with some humour and a lot of interesting examples. A book perfect for a day in the sun and for those of us who doesn't really like fiction.
I've just finished Risk by Dan Gardner; enjoyed it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

saigon_15 posted:

I would like to hear about any and all books about time travel, specifically about travelling backwards, and preferbly ones that cover original or unexpected ideas on the subject.

To add to this very weird and specific request I'll add that books revolving around time in general might be of interest, both fiction and non-fiction.

Edit: I'll add to this that I am in no way a sci-fi enthusiast (I haven't even read Dune, to give you perspective), so even "obvious" titles are of interest.
The Time Machine by HG Wells is the obvious daddy, and still holds up really well.

Replay by Ken Grimwood is a nice take on the "going back to when you're younger" trope.

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis does the "historical researcher going back in time and getting trapped" thing really well, as does Howard Waldrop's Them Bones in a different way.

I haven't read Kage Baker's Company stories or Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveller's Wife, but other people think they're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ApplePirate posted:

I'm looking for pop science books, preferably in the fields of medicine and biology in general. I've read a lot of Sagan, Dawkins, and the like, and several books I've loved have already been mentioned - A Short History of Nearly Everything, Stiff, and Mind Wide Open. I really loved both of Atul Gawande's books as well; sometimes it seems it can be difficult to find books by physicians that aren't a thinly veiled account of how great the author thinks he is. It would be nice to find authors dealing with the same sort of subject matter who write in a similar style, entertaining and informative without being condescending.

Even more specifically I'd love books about the history of science and disease. Two of my favorite books are The Coming Plague and Plagues and Peoples, so anything along those lines would be very much appreciated.
Oldies but goodies in that field - Hans Zinsser's Rats, Lice and History (a "biography" of typhus); Theodore Rosebury's Life on Man (about parasites, microbes and icky stuff in general), and I've just been rereading Howell and Ford's The Ghost Disease, which is 13 well-varied cases of historical medical detective work.

Books by physicians: Oliver Sachs, if you haven't read his stuff (though he does sometimes seem to succumb to Look At How Clever I Am Syndrome). I like Harold Klawans' collections of essays on clinical neurology better; they're not as self-consciously "well-written" as Sachs' books.