Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isurion
Jul 28, 2007

The Aphasian posted:

Can anyone suggest a book (or even tell me the proper term) for whatever the opposite of alternate-history fantasy/sci-fi is? I'm thinking that all the main historical points up to now are the same, but the details are different--Hannibal crossed the Alps on Dragons, or WWII with laser rifles, or the Apollo moon landing actually involved enlisting the aid of the god Apollo. Something that explores how the more things change, the more they stay the same, or that, at least politically, escalation would assure similar outcomes whether with atomic bombs or magical plagues. I read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and liked it quite a bit.

I am not looking for a book where the protagonist has the magical/alien nature of our history revealed to him (all the tech advances of modern times where from the Roswell crash all along!), I want it to be general knowledge, and not "what if the conspiracy theories were true".

Have you read the Temeraire series? It's the Napoleonic wars with dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isurion
Jul 28, 2007

sewermancer posted:

Harry Turtledove's Timeline-191 series is pretty good too, but Turtledove isn't really that creative and it shows (the books are just a reshuffling of history in the end, but fun popcorn stuff) they begin with How Few Remain.

This series starts out ok but it gets really bad as it goes on.

Isurion
Jul 28, 2007

Vexer posted:

The types of movies I enjoy most are things like 'Body of Lies', 'Black Hawk Down', the 'Bourne' trilogy is absolutely amazing.

These movies are all based on books why don't you try one of those? Except Black Hawk Down if you want fiction because it's not.