Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Looking to learn more about chinese mythology, but I'd like to stick to fiction, ie telling a story in that world vs a dry breakdown of it if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Saul Kain posted:

I’m looking for either a fantasy or sci-fi series with a good audiobook narrator. I’m coming off of the latest Joe Abercrombie novel and think that Steven Pacey is one of the best narrators in the business.

I prefer audiobooks as I commute about 45 minutes one way and also like to listen while I walk.

I enjoy the Expanse Series, pretty much everything by Sanderson, Joe Abercrombie’s novels.

I’ve read Three-body problem and enjoy that sort of harder sci-fi as well.

I’m just at a loss on what to read next, I pretty much take a series all the way to completion.

The guy who does the Witcher books is good

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Prose only or are you open to graphic novels? Because there are a lot of good Godzilla comics, and Giant Monster was pretty cool

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kvlt! posted:

I've never really read comics or graphic novels but I suppose I'd be open to giving them a try. What are your favorite Godzilla ones? I'm a massive fan of the movies

50 years war is probably the big one, Godzilla in Hell and Rage Across Time are both very cool as well

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

IBroughttheFunk posted:

I'm currently looking for some historical mysteries for the winter months ahead. Also, as much as I have been enjoying the Brother Cadfael series from Ellis Peters, I'm actually particularly interested right now in historical mysteries that take place outside of Europe - for example, My Name is Red, Elsa Hart's Li Du trilogy, etc. However, if anyone has a title that they think is just too good to not recommended, then of course I'll be happy to disregard geographical setting (and a quick note in advance - The Name of the Rose is Already on my eventual to-read list).

No idea if they're any good or not but the Medicus series is on sale right now and sounds pretty good

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I upgraded my kobo because the new ones had integrated library access, but so far every single book I’ve looked for hasn’t been in the catalogue and the rare ones that have been there I’ve had on hold for the last 6 months because we seem to have about 2 licences. It’s a nice idea, at least

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's got to be a lot of free Agatha Christie out there, too

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

dexter6 posted:

I’m a 37/M and I’ve never been a big reader. I somehow got through highschool and college by just paying attention in class and reading the cliff’s notes.

As a result, I don’t read very well. I read forums and articles but anything longer and my ADD kicks in.

At one point, I read a lot of the Harry Bosch novels but I found them all to be super slow until the last 25% and then the story picked up. It would take me months to read one book. And over the last 3 or so years I’ve really found any story that glorifies cops as pretty distasteful.

The only book in recent history that I found engaging and actually made time to read was Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson.

In general I consider myself a tech geek, I love music and I watch a lot of YouTube videos about technology, engineering, transportation, etc. But I’m a weird nerd who doesn’t really like sci-fi or fantasy (never got into Harry Potter or LOTR).

But, I really want to become a good reader. I would love to read for an hour or two a day instead of just watching TV or playing sudoku. (Side note: it takes something really interesting on TV for me to not be multitasking, too…)

Pls help me become a reader!

(Or maybe I just need Adderall?)

I'm going to prescribe you some Stephen King and Michael Crichton

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ScienceSeagull posted:

What are some entertaining nonfiction books about controversies in science and academia? Such as The Linguistics Wars by Randy Allen Harris (the new edition of which is on my to-read list). I'm primarily interested in stuff related to linguistics, cognition/neuroscience, and biology, but other fields are welcome too if the more technical aspects are explained in a way accessible to the general reader.

Jesus christ, my degree is in linguistics so that sounds interesting and I took a look, and the EBOOK version is $55!?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

PantsBandit posted:

I'm interested in finding a sci-fi horror book, something in the vein of Alien. It's a surprisingly sparse niche as far as I've been able to tell!

Frozen Hell is what The Thing is based on, not exactly what you're looking for but close

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

roomtone posted:

does anyone have any suggestions for contemporary novels? i mean written and set within the last 20 years but preferably even just the last 10.

i've been having a bad run of starting books and dropping them halfway through because i'm just not interested lately. a lot of it is i think that i seem to keep picking up things with a lot of cynicism in the writing and i just don't buy it half the time. cynicism has to be earned by wisdom for me now, otherwise it comes off as a bunch of bloviating bullshit.

I just finished Before the Fall and it was great, I didn't even know Hawley wrote any novels. Definitely has some cynicism but it's pretty balanced too

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Senjuro posted:

Any hard sci-fi books that heavily focus on the technical details as much as The Martian and Project Hail Mary? Preferably from this century. Closest I've read are Aurora and Blindsight. Seveneves was pretty good until the focus started to shift towards politics past the half way mark.

I haven't read either but Buzz Aldrin cowrote one called Encounter with Tiber and Chris Hadfield wrote The Apollo Murders. Both came out recently and have been compared to Weir's stuff

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Somewhat related, I was thinking about Embassytown the other day and how well Mieville is able to create a portrait of a future that's truly removed from ours, to the point that it was unsettling and made me nauseous in a kind of temporal-vertigo way. I really liked that but I'm not sure where to look for similar sci fi stuff. Maybe Niven? I loved Ringworld and World Out of Time (the first part, at least) as a kid specifically because of those queasy far-flung elements. Some of Ted Chiang's stuff is also really good about forcing the reader to occupy an alien mindset (the one where angels and hell are real comes to mind). Would love any recommendations.

Dune, kinda. It's supposed to be our future but it's sometime in the 10000s

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Senjuro posted:

Found some review complaining about too many technical details in The Apollo Murders so it sounds perfect actually. Thanks!
I'm surprised how difficult it has been to find other books similar to Weir's work. Surely he didn't invent the "explaining in detail how a smart person continuously sciences their way out of problems" genre?

If you want some dry science inexplicably showing up in the middle of the action you can't go wrong with Crichton

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Looking for non-traditional post apocalyptic fiction, stuff like post apocalypse but in an alien or fantasy setting. Anything like that out there?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yep! Good suggestion though

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Those both sound good but not sure they're quite what I'm looking for. I'm thinking like post apocalypse stuff, Mad Max/Walking Dead etc, but on a world with wizards or something. I'm reading Last Exit right now and that's probably what put it in my head, stuff like that

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Handful of Goosebumps

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dysthymia posted:

Thanks! I’ll put Capitalist Realism on my shortlist and keep the other two in mind for later.

If you're looking for more core stuff Here is an online collection

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Azran posted:

Any good horror books recs? I really liked the movie/tv adaptations of Annihilation and The Terror, especially the "people out of their element and something is hunting them" bit. Same with stuff like The Thing or Alien.

We have such sights to show you

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I remember Big Trouble being good if she wants something more comedy based

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Chris Miller's The Damned Place is supposed to be that. I haven't read it but I liked the book of his I did read

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ScienceSeagull posted:

What are some good collections of microfiction, flash fiction or short-short stories? I'm not totally clear on the cutoff points for those terms, but I mean like a page maximum in length, maybe only a few sentences. I'm especially interested in fantasy, horror, and weird fiction in this format.

Maybe try some back issues of sci fi magazines. There were a few that were all stories, and since it’s magazine format they have to be pretty short

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Has anyone read any Chet and Bernie books and are they ok for a 10 year old? My kid picked one out at a book sale here, I took a flip through and it seemed ok but be nice to get an informed opinion

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Looking for a book on Oliver Cromwell and all the history around him, preferably something fiction. That is, still true, but told as more of a story, not a fan of dry history.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

White Noise is my favourite book and it’s 330 pages, maybe you could find a small print version that cuts it down.
Otherwise off the top of my head, Gunslinger

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You’re going to be stuck trying to find them at used book stores or paying too much online, but Give Yourself Goosebumps is good for that age. Ryan North also wrote a Hamlet Cyoa that’s good for an older crowd, but it might not be as funny if you aren’t familiar with the play.
If attention is the issue strips might be good, Calvin and Hobbes worked wonders for my kid.
When in doubt, buy Bone.

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 15, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The horror book thread has several good ones in the OP

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

He writes a lot of character stuff too but I absolutely love Nathan Ballingrud's world building

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Howls From the Dark Ages has some good stuff in it. But seriously, read 2 Fires

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dune does as well, though not really in ways where you feel the expanse of time

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's not exactly that but if you haven't read Fantasticland you might enjoy that one

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

7 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If you're ok with comics, Miracleman gets into some interesting ideas about that when Gaiman takes over

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Try talking to the library, they're usually pretty good and filling gaps. There's been a few times where I'll make a request and they track down a copy pretty quick.
Beyond that I just check the sales page on kobo's website every once in a while, but at this point I have around 250 books in my reader so I try not to add more unless it's something really good

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's also always :filez: but they tend to have formatting issues, I find I'd usually rather pay the $2 when they go on sale so I can have proper chapter breaks

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

tuyop posted:

purchasing direct from the author or publisher if I can.

You'd be surprised how often this works too. I couldn't find a copy of Carrier Wave that wasn't locked to kindle, so I emailed the author to ask about buying it directly and he just gave me an epub

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My kid is very into Percy Jackson right now and Riordan seems like an ok dude

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

One of the only textbooks I kept from university was my grammar book, I believe it was Essential English Grammar except now I can't find it. Was definitely a yellow textbook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I want to fill in some of my Shakespeare gaps, wondering if there are any good novel adaptations. I don't mind reading them as plays, and it's fine if they're using the original lines and everything, I'd just prefer more of a prose story to a script. Specifically Othello but I'm open to others