Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I am a huge fan of Martin's SoIaF series and Martin's writing style in general. I enjoy space based Sci-Fi and loved Heinlen's Time Enough For Love as well as SPIN which won some awards a few years ago. A friend recommended Blood Meridian to me and while I wait for it to arrive I wondered if you guys might have a suggestion for someone who likes adult themed books with really good characterization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Just finsihed Clavell's Shogun and really liked it. I enjoyed the contrast between European and Japanese culture, even if it was a bit simplistic.

Looking for another historical fiction recommendation, bonus points if it deals with differences in culture/religion as a major theme.

Edit: Excellent recommendation, thank you!
VVVV

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 23, 2016

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Red Nails and Beyond the Black River are both so rad. The Black Stranger is also pretty awesome.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I'm looking to read some fiction about modern day (1980s and onward) mercenaries / private military contractors. Can be any type (thriller, adventure, mystery, etc). Tried doing some searching and couldn't find much that fits these parameters. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Virtues of War is really good too. Pressfield goes into pretty good detail on unit tactics and the psychology of the soldiers.

Agincourt by Cornwell is also pretty good historical fiction .