Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Danger Mahoney posted:

You know when people in sitcoms used to talk about "trashy romance novels"? I'm looking for some of those. Not classy romance novels. Trashy ones.

As an added twist, if you made a scatter point graph with "popularity" on the y axis and "author's writing skill" on the x axis I am specifically looking for the books that would occupy the upper left corner. Terribly written, inexplicably well received by the intended audience. The Transformers of bodice-rippers.

I am going off memory of my mother's bookshelf, so none of these are particularly recent, but you might try:
Judith Krantz
Jackie Collins
Danielle Steel
Kathleen Woodiwiss

First three were all 80s glam and corporate power struggle themes, last one was weepy bodice rippers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Offhand the only other Chinese-inspired fantasy I can think of is the Seven Brothers trilogy by Curt Benjamin. It's set in Not-Quite-China and -Tibet. It takes itself way more seriously than Bridge of Birds, but I enjoyed it.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

citybeatnik posted:

Any advice on weening myself off of my bad habit of reading mostly short-reads and articles as opposed to long-forms and novels? I used to be a voracious reader but I've fallen out of the habit hard. It's mostly been replaced by listening to podcasts and the like.

You might try switching from podcasts to audiobooks. A lot of libraries have digital audiobook options now or if you sign up at audible.com you get a couple free books to start. If you start a series or lengthy book by listening it may give you incentive to continue it by reading.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

ChickenHeart posted:

I've been playing a bunch of Duke Nukem 3D so I'm wondering if there are any excellent science fiction novels that basically amount to 800 pages of "and then I kicked the other alien square in his space-balls and said a relevant one-liner to nobody in particular." Bonus points if it's actually readable.

My friend let me introduce you to John Ringo.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

paragon1 posted:

Is there any military sci-fi that is both A)Good and B)Not written by an awful human being.

Edit: Okay it can be written by a terrible person but it better knock my socks off.

Seconding Drake and the Slammers series.

Tanya Huff's Valor series was surprisingly enjoyable, and as far as I know she's not awful. And some of Lois McMasters Bujold's Vorkosigan books may meet your criteria.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Solitair posted:

Recent things I've read online make me want to find as many sci-fi and fantasy books where queer people do cool things and don't suffer and die for being queer as I can. Bonus points if the author is themselves queer.

Tanya Huff is a good source for this. She has written tons of short stories and fiction ranging from Space Marines to urban fantasy to vampire romance mysteries to High Fantasy. Lots of queer characters doing stuff and not treated any differently than non-queer folk.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Old Man Mozz posted:

hey ya'll - life has been kind of crappy lately so I'm looking for any suggestions for gay wizards escapist trash books.

I guess they dont HAVE to be gay wizards, but gay wizards prefered

Diane Duane's Door Into Fire series has some of those gay wizards. Not sure I'd call it escapist trash, but maybe?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

deathbot posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for fantasy or sci-fi that is inspired by non-Western settings/traditions? Rather than "European middle ages with dragons!" For example: Something similar to Bridge of Birds, Yoon Ha Lee's Ninefox Gambit, Cixin Liu's books or Nnedi Okorafor's Binti.

I liked Curt Benjamin's Seven Brothers trilogy, though I didn’t care for the follow-up novel. They're set in Not-China and Not-Tibet.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

spacetoaster posted:

I'm looking for a good, fun, science fiction book (or series).

I really enjoyed John Ringo's Legacy of the Aldenata series and would like something similar if it exists.
Other John Ringo that's not completely cringy:
Empire of Man series (starts with March Upcountry)
Looking Glass series (starts with Into the Looking Glass)

David Drake's Hammer's Slammer

Tanya Huff's Confederation series (starts with Valor's Choice)

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Sindoril posted:

Hello. This will be a little vague, but I'll try to be as clear as possible. I'm looking for a solid vampire book not by Anne Rice or Stephen King, having already read [and wholly enjoyed] Salem's Lot, Interview with a Vampire et all. Ideally, I'd like something romantic and genuinely so with a good overall story in it, but if the romance is really good I can overlook the amazing story. Thank you.
I really like Sunshine by Robin McKinley, but I seem to recall it was a little polarizing when it came up before.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

lordfrikk posted:

Earth Abides looks very much like something I had in mind. I'm definitely looking for more of a hard sci-fi than fantasy, humorous or satirical stories. I've read Canticle for Leibowitz ages ago but that always seemed to me more philosophical than what I'm trying to find, which I would even go as far as to say could be a speculative guidebook to restoring progress/technology/civilization from the ashes, e.g. can't reuse scavenged materials or existing facilities. Imagine a guy having regular layman knowledge of the current state of technology suddenly finding himself on a pre-civilization Earth, something like that.

Sorry for not being able to articulate my thoughts in a clearer way.
Have you read Eric Flint's 1632 series? There's a supporting publication called the Grantville Gazette that is 50% short fiction, and 50% nonfiction essays about how to do things like re-invent a treadle sewing machine or how to produce stainless steel with 17th-century manufacturing capabilities. Some of those essays might scratch that itch.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Kangxi posted:

Any good fun sci-fi or military fiction with a woman protagonist? I'm travelling next week and need some light beach reading.

I like Tanya Huff's series about Sgt. Torin Kerr, I think the first one is Valor's Choice. It starts off with a cliched Rorke's-Drift-in-space plot but overall pretty decent light reading.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I haven't read the book, but I watched a PBS program this week based on Maria Rosa Menocal's "The Ornament of the World: How Muslims, Jews, and Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance in Medieval Spain" and thought it was an interesting perspective.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

tuyop posted:

I read this first as military sci fi and wrote: Kameron Hurley, Lois McMaster Bujold and Ann Leckie off the top of my head. Depending on what you think Oryx and Crake is, there’s also Margaret Atwood. Hell, I think maybe a bit of Le Guin would qualify.

But now I see you’re asking for dad-fic and I’m also at a loss.

All the 'airport thriller' type books I can think of with woman authors are firmly in the 'romantic suspense' circle of the Venn diagram. Catherine Coulter, Iris Johansen, Suzanne Brockmann all have series with lots of derring-do by military and FBI types, but they're written for the "women's market" so there is a different kind of formula they have to follow.

Which is too bad, I would like to read more Forsyth/LeCarre/Clancy-style books regardless of author gender.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Circutron posted:

I’m looking for some fluffy sci-fi/fantasy, preferably with a gay/bi male lead? Something really escapist. Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet’s been suggested several times in this thread and it sounds like something I’m looking for.

I guess I’m also trying to find some stories with a big cast of fleshed out supporting characters, possibly with a really well-realized setting. I’ve been reading through the Gaunt’s Ghosts series by Dan Abnett and that’s kind of been hitting me with the feeling of what I’ve been wanting.

I recently started rereading Diane Duane's Middle Kingdom fantasy series (The Door into Fire, The Door into Shadow, The Door into Sunset) and you might enjoy them.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Sarern posted:

My one weird trick for Clancy is to stop after Clear and Present Danger. That's still the one I like best from early Clancy, I feel it did the best job at the things he was good at

Or you can do the Dune thing and stop whenever you get bored because after a certain point each book gets worse.

Wasn't that made in the 80's? If I recall correctly Highlander was another 80's classic where Sean Connery played... an Egyptian pretending to be a Spaniard.
I remember lots of articles at the time quoting Connery about how his accent was so thick as a young man, people mistook it for Russian or Polish. But really I think it fits right in with that whole era of "all 'bad guy' accents sound British".

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I like to watch procedural-type TV shows, especially those that feature some kind of "special consultant" working with the cops. Some examples of shows I have enjoyed: Castle, Forever, Psych, The Mentalist, The Listener, and F.B.Eye. Obviously I am not concerned about realism, I just like stories where the cops aren't (all) bastards and they work regularly with outsiders to solve crimes and theres a happy/satisfying ending.

Does anything like this trope exist in book form? I have read a lot of private eye mysteries, which have a similar vibe, but in those usually the cops are either bumbling around while the PI does the work, or if they work together it's all under the table or bribing the cops to look the other way. Some of the closest examples I have found are romance thrillers, which is fine, but if there are examples where the relationship aspects aren't the main focus I think I'd prefer that.

Any suggestions? Am I looking for something too specific? If so I will also gladly take recommendations for procedural-type mysteries without the "consultant" angle.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Thanks for the mystery suggestions, and yeah I should have mentioned that I have read pretty much all of Christie. I did add a few things to my read pile (Nero Wolfe has been on the list forever but I have bumped him up). To reciprocate I will mention that I recently came across MC Beaton and have enjoyed what I've seen so far of Agatha Raisin and Hamish Macbeth.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Saul Kain posted:

I read Harry Potter as a young pup. I have no desire to revisit those novels.

I think I read the first one of those. Do they get better?

Dresden does get quite a bit better by book 3 but that is arguably a low bar. If you skip ahead to book 3 and still bounce off, it's probably not your cup of tea.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

IBroughttheFunk posted:

I'm currently looking for some historical mysteries for the winter months ahead. Also, as much as I have been enjoying the Brother Cadfael series from Ellis Peters, I'm actually particularly interested right now in historical mysteries that take place outside of Europe - for example, My Name is Red, Elsa Hart's Li Du trilogy, etc. However, if anyone has a title that they think is just too good to not recommended, then of course I'll be happy to disregard geographical setting (and a quick note in advance - The Name of the Rose is Already on my eventual to-read list).

Kinda similar, any recs for historical *fantasy* mysteries? I am thinking like medieval beat cops like Simon Green's Hawk and Fisher, or PIs like Randall Garrett's Darcy. Not opposed to romances if they're decently written.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Thanks for the suggestions! I keep meaning to add Mieville to my to-read pile, dunno why I haven't yet. And yeah, I should have mentioned I've already read Discworld. I also love the Five Gods series, I have really enjoyed how LMB puts out smaller P&D novellas frequently instead of having to wait a couple years for the next book.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Ropes4u posted:

Before I find this book can I get an idea of what happens?

The main character thinks the whole thing is a hallucination so he rapes a woman . This was enough to make me put the book down and walk away, but others have said it's worth sticking with it, YMMV.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I like The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold, which stands alone nicely but if you like it there's one sequel and a bunch of prequels.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Emelius Browne posted:

This might be a hard one (or maybe something more fitting for the romance thread, idk):

Looking for a suggestion for something to get my spouse to read on an upcoming relaxing beachside holiday. He already reads a lot, but the thing is... he reads exclusively gay-themed fanfiction, usually from fantasy or sci-fi IPs (I know, I know).

So uh, I guess I'm looking for gay-themed romance that isn't too raunchy? And maybe with a fantasy bent to it (not a sexual fantasy, but like... fantasy the genre).

Big shot in the dark here but :shrug:

Check out TJ Klune for fantasy with gay characters that isn't necessarily "gay fantasy."
E: Or 13-year-old me suggests the Vanyel saga (Magic's Promise, etc.) by Mercedes Lackey, but I honestly don't know how well that's held up.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Selachian posted:

Kind of. The Years of Rice and Salt is set in an alt history where the Black Death was much more severe and virtually depopulated Europe, so when the Mongols show up they can just stroll in and take over. The rest of the book is examining how history developed from there.

As for other Black Death books, I liked Connie Willis's Doomsday Book, although reaction seems to have been more mixed around here.

I liked Doomsday Book too, for what it's worth. I thought it gave a nice grim depiction of how the plague might have affected a small town, and I liked the counterpoint of the modern epidemic.

Though I completely misunderstood the sections about bell-ringers and thought they were ringing handbells. So the rehearsals where everyone was dipping at the knees and swaying their whole bodies seemed unnecessarily dramatic.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Captain Monkey posted:

Personally I had about a year of the abridged children's version of classics (I forget what they're called) and weird stuff like Tom swift and hardy boys between those.

Yeah in that age range I pretty much wore the covers off the Bobbsey twins, Tom Sawyer, Heidi, and The Swiss Family Robinson.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

ahobday posted:

I'm coming to the end of the Vorkosigan saga by Lois McMaster Bujold, and I'd like more of it (sci-fi, to be clear). But I don't really know how to describe what I like about it.

Probably that it's so focused on fun characters. And interesting stuff happens. It's got decent world-building. But I don't find the books slow. The action happens at a decent pace.

Something I've seen recommended but haven't tried yet is the Honor Harrington series. Are those similar to Vorkosigan in the ways I've mentioned?

The earlier books maybe, but the further you go in the series, the more bloated they get with multiple character viewpoints and long drawn-out political infighting.

I like the Lt Leary series by David Drake for some decent swashbuckling. I don't think he's got the same character skills that Bujold has, but he can write a good battle.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

evilpicard posted:

My town used to have short story vending machines!

Mine too! He sat in the end booth of the VA hospital cafeteria. You gave him a dollar for a slice of pie, he'd give you a handful of wartime anecdotes.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I'd also suggest Robin McKinley, specifically The Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword. Deerskin is set in the same world but I'd say it's too adult/heavy for a young reader, as it features incestual rape and resulting trauma (spoiler for tw).

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for my wife. What she reads today is mostly autobiographies or self-help / self-help-adjacent books, but she wants to try to get back into fiction. The last fiction series she read and really enjoyed was Harry Potter nearly two decades ago. So this may be a challenge.

Based on her likes / dislikes, I think a light-hearted romcom in a magical setting would be a good bet. Or maybe a high-level mystery / thriller where the stakes aren't too high. If it gets too in-the-weeds, serious, or grim-dark fantasy, she'll bounce off. I don't think she'd be opposed to YA, but she did express wanting to try adult fiction.

I've recently been rereading the Penric and Desdemona series by Lois McMaster Bujold so I will throw my rec in for that. You don't really see any romance in the first few books but they're short, fun, but with some occasional serious undertones.

For more modern UF style- maybe the Riley Thorn series by Lucy Score. Contemporary mystery romance with supernatural elements (psychics and ghosts).

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm back with another request!

What's the best book to get if I want to read about elves, specifically the Silmarillion / Lord of the Rings type of elves? I don't strictly want urban fantasy elves with guitars, and I don't want fae - I want high fantasy elves.

That said, they can be in space! I've read all of CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series (dark elves in spaaace), and I've enjoyed some of the Drizzt stuff. (His origin trilogy is great) So any elf will do, as long as they're, y'know, fancy and better than us and ethereal and poo poo.

Other books in this vein I'm looking at (but haven't read yet): Gav Thorpe's Path of the X (Warhammer 40k Eldar trilogy), that Starcraft Protoss trilogy.

Tad Williams's Dragonbone Chair series might scratch that itch for you.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

sbaldrick posted:

So I’m really tired of the grim dark, rapey turn fantasy has taken recently (GRRM, Abercrombie, the Malazan books, I’m currently reading the most recent Kagen book and if he talks about rape in the creepy way he has again I’m going to throw my phone across the room).

What are some good less creepy fantasy novels, assuming I’ve read most of the major stuff.

Have you heard the gospel of Bridge of Birds?

I like the 5 Gods series Lois McMaster Bujold, starting with The Curse of Chalion. She's also got The Sharing Knife quartet, which is a different vibe but has some great worldbuilding underpinning a romantic storyline.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

boquiabierta posted:

Looking for historical fiction about healthcare providers, preferably nurses and even more preferably nurse-midwives or other repro health providers. One that I loved was The Pull of the Stars by Emma Donoghue.

My first thought was Call the Midwife. It is a memoir, not fiction, though.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

regulargonzalez posted:

Is it worth reading if I already have the reveal spoiled for me?

I would say yeah. The first time I read it, I got to the end and immediately flipped back to the beginning to re-read, and really enjoyed looking for any clues that foreshadowed the twist.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

wheatpuppy posted:

Have you heard the gospel of Bridge of Birds?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Leraika posted:

The Young Wizards series is pretty good if you're looking for a more sci-fi take on magic. The series started in 1983, last book was published in 2016 (+ short stories published later), but the author's gone back and updated the first few books (edit: all the books published at the time) around 2012 iirc.

Honestly a lot of older "YA" books are probably a good bet for someone easing back into reading. Most of Diana Wynne Jones's catalog would fit the prompt (though Homeward Bounders is, imo, a real downer). Or The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper. They aren't really modern, but I feel like they are kinda timeless?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Skippy McPants posted:

Just looking to read the texts as they are, as much as possible, to absorb the source material. I'm not opposed to a bit of additional context, but I'm not looking for commentary, philosophy, or wider considerations. And no, I won't be adopting any faith unless I stumble upon a coupon for billion-dollar bills that give blowjobs.

I haven't read the Quran, but from my experience reading the Bible, you may absorb the source material a lot better if you choose an annotated text or something like Gnoman suggested. Otherwise it's real easy to get bogged down in all the begats and miss out on the underlying cultural context.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Tom Tucker posted:

Also yeah Watson is a suave, brave, capable partner to Holmes while the entire point of Hastings is for the reading to wince as another masterful Poirot insult goes entirely over his oblivious head. There was some portrayal of Watson back in the early 20th century where he was bumbling that caught on but luckily newer adaptations have gotten back to him being a total badass. I think Kate Beaton did a comic on it…?

She did a couple:

New Watson Likes Jam
Gay Watson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Fat Jesus posted:

You know how some people seemingly get stuck reading just the one author? The Aged Parent (87) reads nothing but books by some woman named Danielle Steel. She has every single one and I suspect they're all the same book with the names changed. Everything else I've bought her, like Patrick White and Peter Carey she don't like, and other books I bought 2nd hand for her look just like those Steel books to me, but are too saucy or something. Who else is there that writes similar drivel without excessive boot knocking?

Maybe Jackie Collins or Janet Dailey? My own AP had a few books by all three so I would assume they are similar.

Nora Roberts is similarly prolific (in fact, now that I think on it, Janet Dailey may have plagiarized her?) but does tend to have frequent sex scenes.