Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Tea Bone posted:

I'm well aware that I'm probably chasing a dragon here, but I want to feel the same way I did when I was a teenager and first read the Ted The Caver story. In that I felt like I had fallen down a rabbit hole and was learning about something terrifying just below the surface of every day life.

I've read most of the things that normally get brought up with Ted The Caver (House of Leaves and Dionaea house), I've tried Lovecraft and some contemporary Cosmic horror but tend to bounce off of it a bit.

The subject matter isn't that important, it doesn't need to be about monsters or dark spaces, it's that feeling of suspended disbelief that I'm looking to recapture.

Have you tried The Hike by Drew Magary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

FPyat posted:

Anything amusing about corporate or bureaucratic incompetence?

I mean, Catch-22?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Jimbozig posted:

Anyone have recommendations for British boarding school fiction that is NOT cozy. Anti-cozy, even. Hazing, bullying, nasty teachers, neglectful parents, etc.

Will also accept recommendations for memoirs/non-fiction on the same topic.

My one defining memory of Stalky & Co by Rudyard Kipling is that they shoot a cat and then play with its corpse. So maybe that?