Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulstan
Apr 29, 2008

LICENSED SARAH PALIN WHITE KNIGHT

Fame Throwa posted:

Okay, which book of Terry Pratchett's should I read next? I decided to start at the very beginning, and I'm half-done with Color of Magic and it is awesome.

There are several different sub series in the discworld books, which don't tie in together all that tightly.

There's the Nightwatch series (excellent) and the Rincewind series (also excellent) and then other books (Monstrous regiment, etc).

I guess what I'm saying is, don't worry *too* much about getting the order right. I only worried about the order for the night watch series and after that just read them as I laid hands on them, and it seemed to work out all right.

Wikipedia has a pretty good breakdown of all the story arcs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulstan
Apr 29, 2008

LICENSED SARAH PALIN WHITE KNIGHT

Radio Talmudist posted:

I just finished gorging myself upon the 70 or so official Sherlock Holmes stories. My thirst for mystery is not yet satisfied, however, and I'm looking for another hefty mystery novel or collection of mystery stories to occupy my time. I'm not sure what I'm looking for more - extraordinary conundrums, unique, colorful detectives or vibrant historical settings. All three brought me to Sherlock Holmes in the first place. Psychological mind-benders are also welcome.

How is Agatha Christie? Is she actually a good mystery writer?

Agatha Christie has some good ones and some bad ones. I primarily listened to them on audio tape - if you have a good voice actor to get all the Poirot accents right, it helps. Murder on the Orient Express is good, a classic even, so at least read that.

If you just finished Sherlock Holmes, I would recommend Lord Darcy. It's basically a parallel universe where Magic developed along with the industrial revolution, and Lord Darcy is the Sherlock Holmes of the day, only instead of Watson being a doctor, he's a magician, and together the two of them solve many magic related crimes. I found it interesting because it tried fairly hard to imagine a systematized and institutionalized magic system co-existing alongside industrial England, which isn't unique in and of itself, but the mystery slant was a new one to me.