Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down
I'm looking for a book similar to Bret Easton Ellis' Less Than Zero aside from Bright Lights, Big City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

Archibald Cox posted:

Be warned that Play It as It Lays is an almost uniquely unpleasant book to read.

What do you mean by unpleasant? Personally I love unpleasant moments in books. Like the part in Less Than Zero where Clay and Julian go to that Hotel Room. That poo poo rules.

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down
edit: wow i hosed that up

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

ru5tyb1ke5 posted:

So I'm reading Hitch-22 (Christopher Hitchens' memoir) and very much enjoying it. This is really the first memoir I've ever read, and I'm wondering if I've been missing out; does anyone have any particularly interesting memoirs to recommend? They don't have to have been written by people like Hitchens, anybody with an interesting life would do.

Although I've personally yet to read it, I have only heard good things from my friends and critics about Agusten Burrough's Running With Scissors.

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down
I'm kind of looking for a book similar to "On The Road" or "The Motorcycle Diaries" but set on a continent that's not North or South America. The thing is, I just saw the movie "Encounters at The End of The World;" and hearing this woman talk about driving the length of Africa in a garbage truck made me want to read another travel book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

Rubber Biscuit posted:

I'm considering visiting LA (UK goon here) again in the near future, and i'd like to read a few novels that capture something of the spirit of the place. It's vague I know but when I think about it I don't think i've ever read a novel set there. I'm not sure what this says about my taste or what. Nyeh. So yeah, Los Angeles.

Alhough I've never actually been there; and if what I've heard is true. Then Bret Easton Ellis "Less Than Zero" Should be what you're looking for.