Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I'm reposting this from a separate topic I made in the forum, not realizing that there was a topic already devoted to recommendations:

I just finished gorging myself upon the 70 or so official Sherlock Holmes stories. My thirst for mystery is not yet satisfied, however, and I'm looking for another hefty mystery novel or collection of mystery stories to occupy my time. I'm not sure what I'm looking for more - extraordinary conundrums, unique, colorful detectives or vibrant historical settings. All three brought me to Sherlock Holmes in the first place. Psychological mind-benders are also welcome.

How is Agatha Christie? Is she actually a good mystery writer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
What are some good books about Wall Street? For the past few months I've been educating myself on the 2008 financial crisis, but I find myself still unsure what certain concepts, financial mechanisms and Wall Street Jargon mean. Do you guys know of any good, comprehensive introductions to Wall Street and Investing? Something that explains how Derivatives, Hedge Funds and other aspects of the street work?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I asked for a recommendation earlier in this thread but got no replies, so I'll dare to ask for one again:

What are some good books on the Israel-Palestine? Books that at least aim towards being unbiased? Some people I know have recommended O Jerusalem...I was wondering if you guys know of any other texts?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

TFNC posted:

You'll probably have better luck with this request in D&D's book thread.

Thank you! I suppose this is not the best place for discussion of nonfiction.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Does anyone here have a recommendation for books about the dot-com bubble? They can be memoirs, general non-fiction or even fiction set during that time.