Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Proffessor Rapeface posted:

I need a recommendation not for books but ways to keep track of books you've read and/or own. I've really enjoyed using Criticker for movies, both in terms of keeping track of movies I've seen and its recommendation system, and wanted to know if something like that exists for books.

Shelfari is quite good as well. Nice interface and very easy to use, there's also a pretty good community. Free and no limit on books you can add. They're affiliated with Amazon last I checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
What should I read when I finish up the Song of Fire and Ice series? I'm only halfway through the first book at the moment, but I read pretty quickly, so I'd like to have some good recommendations lined up for when I finish. Does anyone know of any other good fantasy series that's pretty close in quality and scope?

I've already read through as much of the Wheel of Time series as I can stand, so we can skip those. :)

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I'm trying to figure out which of these to grab with my SO Kindle deal. Narrowed it down to:

The Aquariums of Pyongyang: Ten Years in the North Korean Gulag by Chol-hwan Kang
Roots by Alex Haley
Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing
Dancing in the Glory of Monsters: The Collapse of the Congo and the Great War of Africa by Jason Stearns

Help me out? I prefer a less dry writing style, if any of these tend towards that.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
So, is The Hangman's Daughter any good? I ask because I've got a chance to get a free copy of this and the sequel The Dark Monk in exchange for reviewing both books, but I don't want to have to slog through two terrible books if they're not worth a read.

As a general rule, I'm not much into mystery novels, so I'm a bit iffy on the whole thing.