Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FortCastle
Apr 24, 2009
I know this is pretty broad but it's a cool topic to me as a whole so any recommendations on Pirate books, and no I'm not 12 and I'm not looking for children books, fiction or non-fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FortCastle
Apr 24, 2009

DreamOn13 posted:

I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for since I've just starting reading books more often, so here goes...I really liked The Art of Racing in the Rain and would probably like any other racing or car books. Documentaries or fiction would work I suppose.

Also my friend gave me the Harry Potter series to read and I like them so far (about to start the 5th book), but I'd pretty much take any recommendation on other types of books to figure out what I like and good places to start. I know that's a bit broad but I have to start somewhere.

If you're just getting into reading one of the things I would recommend staying away from is reading the classics first, a lot of people will say you should jump into Ulysses, Moby Dick, or A Tale of Two Cities but you should read around some of the things you enjoy before getting into those or else you will find them painful. I don't know about any racing or car books but some good books I would recommend for anyone who is starting to read and trying to find out the genres they enjoy are The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (a light science fiction comedy), Ender's Game (slightly more science fiction but not hard sci-fi), The Hound of the Baskervilles (an easy Sherlock Holmes book that almost everyone would find enjoyable), or The Lord of the Rings (kind of big and daunting but pretty much the fantasy book that everyone who likes fantasy loves and not too bad if you are already on the fifth Harry Potter book). Those are extremely general suggestions but it's hard to recommend things without knowing your reading levels and preferences but just remember to read books you enjoy before moving on the ones you "appreciate" like the classics and such.

FortCastle
Apr 24, 2009

7 y.o. bitch posted:

Don't don't don't do this, stop denegrating the classics as little things that you put on pedestals and throw in closets, and that classics are not as enjoyable as books with lasers and elves and poo poo. This is the entirely wrong way to read books. If you are not enjoying a book, you shouldn't read it, however, if you can only get enjoyment out of things that go bang bang and cheap philosophy and poor wit (all those things that simply make you feel comfortable), then perhaps you should remove yourself from the body politic because you are doing nothing for yourself, those around you, or society at large.

My advice to DreamOn13: Don't read for entertainment. If you just want to be entertained, don't change your consumption, just consume whatever, in any media. If you want to read because you think reading will "make you better," or has some sort of "value" within itself, you must choose to read things that have genuine value and make you a genuinely better person. Genre novels will not.

If you like books about cars, read On The Road to start you out, if you haven't read it already. Read some Tom Robbins. Neither of those are really top-notch, but they're good places to start with literature. If you want sci-fi/fantasy, read A Voyage to Arcturus or some of the old Arthurian romances. None of that stuff is difficult, but it'll put you in a position where you see reading as a unique experience and will want to do it more often and search out your own reading lists. It will make you put thought into your reading, and any time a person thinks hard about their cultural consumption, she is improving herself.

I didn't mean it like that at all, I meant that going from zero to sixty isn't a good way to get into reading. Of course they are enjoyable but to get their full effect you need to read around to be able to appreciate what they are. Maybe it's only me because I am only speaking from my own experience in loathing the A Tale of Two Cities and Moby Dick the first time that I read them but I think that I tried to go too deep too quickly. They are amazing books and I feel that he will be turned off by them if he starts his reading experience with hem but maybe I'm wrong, read what you want, read what you enjoy.

edit: Maybe my explanation was poor but I just meant that he needed a good starting point to jump into deeper stuff, the same reason I would not recommend someone who wanted to become better at math to read a Calculus III textbook, while that is eventually where you want to go and where the deep fun stuff is at, it can be a brutal experience if you are a beginner.

FortCastle fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 8, 2010

FortCastle
Apr 24, 2009

7 y.o. bitch posted:

I genuinely know of no one who would recommend someone who is just starting out reading to read Ulysses or Moby Dick. They might suggest A Tale of Two Cities, although they're more likely to suggest Great Expectations (I don't like Dickens except for Bleak House and Hard Times). But people in general have a very narrow conception of what the "classics" are (ie. whatever they read in hs/college), and I don't think it's helping anyone to suggest reading genre fiction before reading literature. However, I do think it's funny that what you suggest he start off with are the recognized "greatest works of the genres" and these are supposed to be easy to get in to, as opposed to the greater difficulty of regular literature. In any case, Lord of the Ring is boring as hell, and the reason Harry Potter is so popular for the general populace of kids rather than just fantasy nerds is because it's 1)more like a traditional novel, and 2)made for an ADD generation.

Fair enough, I thought they were books that beginners would enjoy but you have shown me the light, I did not mean to start an argument in the recommendation thread of all places

FortCastle
Apr 24, 2009
Which books in the Ender's Game series are worth reading after Ender's Game? I'm considering Speaker for the Dead next, is that the next logical step in the series?