Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StroMotion
May 8, 2009

timeandtide posted:

Need some non-fiction and fiction recommendations on these topics:

1. Non-fiction: The West, the frontier, gold rush, stuff leading up to the Civil War, etc. Basically, any major stuff in American history from 1820-1850, specifically about the West though. I did pick up "The American West" by Dee Brown, but couldn't find too much else.

2. Fiction: Westerns. What're the major ones in the genre I should read? Any cross-genre stuff like the Dark Tower?

I don't know about #1, but for #2, Lonesome Dove may be the best American western ever written. Larry McMurtry wrote a bunch of others in that series, including Comanche Moon and some others I can't think of, but Lonesome Dove is definitely the place to start. Incredibly well fleshed-out characters and a great backdrop of the West in its prime. It's a long book, but if you make it past the first 100 or so pages you will be absolutely hooked. It also moves fairly quickly, although widely fracturing storyline can occasionally be frustrating, if you get really into one character and then the book switches for 75 pages.

Also excellent is Cormac McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses . The movie's great, the book is better. Again, a great backdrop, and John Grady Cole is a classic badass protagonist.

Finally, check out Jim Harrison's Legends of the Fall . It's a mini-epic in [100 pages, but it covers a lot of ground. It usually comes in a book with two other short stories, Revenge and The Man Who Gave Up His Name . I was never big on Revenge but the Man Who Gave Up His Name is one of my all-time favorites, although it's not a western in the traditional sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StroMotion
May 8, 2009

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

Does anyone know of any books that describe in detail the structure of the Mafia? I've never quite understood how it worked, and am interested in a book that highlights the different levels (e.g. capos, etc.) and the roles they play.

There's one by the undercover cop who spent like 2 years in the Mob gathering evidence. It's called Donnie Brasco: AKA Joseph K. Pistone. It's pretty awesome, although there is obviously a lot of attention paid to the law enforcement perspective.

StroMotion fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 17, 2009