Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
I’m looking for mystery thrillers that are like any of Gillian Flynn’s books (Gone Girl, Sharp Objects, and Dark Places). Super dark, twisty, well written, twists you don’t see coming, wholly and utterly consuming.

I’ve read some other thrillers lately that just haven’t done it for me (Verity, The Silent Patient, a few by Kristen Lepionka). I’ve read the Girl on the Train and the Couple Next Door and felt pretty meh about them. I think I’ve read one or two by Ruth Ware that didn’t really do much for me. I thought A Flicker in the Dark and The Girls Are All So Nice Here were pretty bad. I liked I Have Some Questions For You (new by Rebecca Makkai) but thought it was kinda slow in the middle.

Dunno if it was the time of my life that I read the Gillian Flynns but I’ve been searching for that feeling again to no avail. Any suggestions?

edit: felt this way about The Push recently too even though it's not really a mystery thriller in the same way, but I tore through it and it hosed me up afterwards, so something like that works too

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Looking for historical fiction about healthcare providers, preferably nurses and even more preferably nurse-midwives or other repro health providers. One that I loved was The Pull of the Stars by Emma Donoghue.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Not sure if it was on the recommendation of this thread or the “I just finished” thread but I picked up House of Leaves and am about 100 pages in… and… like… when does it get scary? Am I reading it wrong?

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

100 pages into House of Leaves and I think I'm throwing in the towel. I'm not into it at all and not finding it at all scary. Kinda disappointed I didn't even make it as far as any of the weird formatting stuff (unless you count the constant footnotes/endnotes and font changes).

Does anyone want to advocate for me trying a little bit more

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Any recommendations for where to start with Stephen King? My recent failure to read House of Leaves made me realize I do want to read some horror and who better to start with? Any other beginner horror recommendations welcome — I’m just looking for accessible and page turners as criteria.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Memoirs of life in Gaza, anyone? Or the West Bank but preferably Gazan writers.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

My husband is a history buff (and current international events buff). One of his recent faves is Vincent Bevins "Jakarta Method" and he's currently reading "The 100 Year War on Palestine". He doesn't read a ton of fiction but has really enjoyed China Mieville and the Shadow of the Wind series. He's very CSPAM-brained. I'm trying to come up with ideas for his birthday, any suggestions?

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Eric Hobsbawm’s Ages tetralogy is an amazing history of the modern era written from a Marxist perspective. I recommend it heartily. Just thick tones chock full of economic and historical analysis, if that is his thing.

Thank you; these all sound great but this series especially seems right up his alley. Appreciate it!

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

tuyop posted:

For fiction:
The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu is an epic “silkpunk” fantasy about an opportunistic bandit rebelling against a corrupt empire. Set in a fantastical medieval SE Asia, lots of leftist themes and ideas played with brilliantly.

Radicalized by Cory Doctorow is a series of short stories about radicalization. I believe I understand your husband based on your description and he’ll find these very enjoyable.

How Beautiful We Were by Imbolo Mbue is about a village that has its water poisoned by an oil company in a fictional West African country. The surreality of the experiences of the villagers is complimented with some light magical realism.

For non-fiction:
Necropolis: Disease, Power, and Capitalism in the Cotton Kingdom https://www.hup.harvard.edu/books/9780674241053
This is an incredible book about how capital captured public health in New Orleans and let Yellow Fever roll through the population for 100 years. Olivarius coins the term “immunocapitalism” to describe the system of privilege and perverse incentives that made this so stable and destructive. The parallels to the present are clear.

The Condition of the Working Class in England by Friedrich Engels
I think the blurb is perfect:

It’s public domain and available as audiobooks through Librivox so I wouldn’t buy it anywhere but it’s an excellent look at how far conditions can decline for us.

He’s likely read it, so it’s last but: The Dawn of Everything by Davids Graeber and Wengrow is an ambitious work on the history of anthropology and modern political philosophy, based on new breakthroughs in archaeology. I’ve probably ruined it, but in there is the story of how Indigenous North American political economy fueled the Enlightenment and the foundations of liberal philosophy (which, of course, led to the age of revolutions and the independence of the US). It’s written beautifully and cites hard evidence from all over the world that you don’t need violent hierarchies to run any kind of society worth living in. It’s kind of a masterpiece and the only issue is there were supposed to be three volumes but Graeber died of something.

Thank you, these all sound great! I bought him Radicalized and am noting the others to tell him to put on his list.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

Are there any first hand accounts of the experience of dementia?

Still Alice? It’s fiction, and I don’t remember if all of it is from her POV, but I remember some really moving passages and descriptions of her experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

FPyat posted:

Other than the Bartimaeus books, what's the best YA fiction from around 2000 to 2007? I was obsessively reading Artemis Fowl, Alex Rider, Scott Westerfeld's Uglies, and Mortal Engines back in the day.

How’s Uglies? I had it on my list ages ago but forgot about it.