Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I enjoyed Winter’s Orbit by Everina Maxwell. It’s gay, was clearly once fanfiction (very tropey, but is well written), and is more science fantasy than straight-up fantasy, but the main focus is on the characters. Romance tropes abound as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newts
Oct 10, 2012

DreamingofRoses posted:

So, I don’t know if it was here or in the fantasy thread, but there was a brief list of recommendations for ‘homey’ fantasies, and I can’t find the thread again but something small-scale and reliant more on character interaction with a fantasy bent instead of uber powerful artifacts/world saving quests sounds really nice right about now.

I’d also recommend Sunshine by Robin McKinley. It’s relatively small stakes. There are some scary/gory parts, and some people really don’t like McKinley’s tendency to ramble on about baking, but I loved the characters and the small world she created. It’s a big book, but the scale stays small-town focused throughout.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Can I please get some book recommendations?

I mostly read sci-fi or sci-fi adjacent stuff lately. I'm waiting for my library's e-book copy of Children of Dune to come available in 8 weeks.

What I'm after most at the moment is something like Douglas Adams, Tom Holt, Terry Pratchett, Christopher Moore (but his latest stuff is not great), Jasper Fforde. Amusing, quirky, clever, and somewhat mindless.

Stuff I don't want right now: difficult to read, understand, deal with writing or subject matter (I save that stuff for winter); Philip K Dick, Margaret Atwood, Harry Harrison (although I love Bill the Galactic Hero and the West of Eden trilogy), or hard scifi.

Don’t know if this will fit what you’re after because it is rather long and convoluted, and not really mindless. To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis was a delightful, fun read. And very sci-fi adjacent, rather than strictly sci-fi.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Can anyone recommend a book series similar to Patricia C. Wrede’s Enchanted Forest series? My daughter loves these, but she’s almost finished with the last book.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Thanks for the recs! I’ll rent a few of these for her and see what she likes. It’s hard to keep her in books, she reads so fast.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

caspergers posted:

Need something similar to King's IT or Langan's Fisherman, but more in the way of its history. What I loved most about these is the investigatory nature of the books, "So and so told me..." Doesn't have to be horror. Also my favorite plot in thread in Game of Thrones (didn't read the books) is Ned's investigation into the King's lineage, so something along those lines as well. I guess maybe detective stories are the way to go?

Maybe House of Leaves? I read that quite a long time ago and I remembered the investigatory history was a big part of it. I know it’s popular here, so maybe other goons can chime in.

Also, a little different, but I always recommend the Charlie Parker Mysteries by John Connolly for anyone interested in Stephen King’s forays into the sordid history of small towns. The way Connolly writes reminds me a lot of that. The first is the the weakest, but then they pick up. I’d call them horror or supernatural mysteries.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

I'd rather read something best-in-class than something that's "pretty good." I don't have as much time to read as I use
I really like the idea of a detective story taking place in the Balkans or other Eastern Europe/Soviet satellite country, with an underfunded, understaffed, corrupt, and overworked police agency, with a lone detective doggedly trying to detect and solve crime. Geographical location can be anywhere as long as it has that tired, borderline-defeated vibe.

I really enjoyed The Yiddish Policeman’s Union by Michael Chabon and it fits a bit with the vibe you’re describing here.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Any recommendations for a ‘fun’ math book?

My 14 yo daughter is very interested in math and I’m trying to find her something that’s more interesting than a textbook, but maybe still on the technical side. She’s more math-minded (and probably more talented) than me and I have a PhD in biology.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Thank you, all! I will pick a couple and report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Thank you again! These all look interesting.