Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm interested in finding a book (or series) where a murder or mystery is investigated with unusual techniques, such as intuition, psychic abilities, dream logic, etc.. I'm looking for something similar to the TV series Twin Peaks or the movie The Gift (2000), directed by Sam Raimi. I'd prefer a small-town setting with eccentric characters, and an underlying supernatural element if possible, but whatever's fine. I enjoy horror, dark comedies, mysteries, thrillers, so anything in that vein would be appreciated. I'd also like it if it had some substance to it, nothing too cheesy.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can throw me some ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, guys! I'll look into both of them.

I do have a Kindle, so I'll be trying the Jeff Resnick one first.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and it's been on my to-read shelf for a while. I have read Pynchon's Inherent Vice, and The Crying of Lot 49, both of which I love. I've read a quarter of V. but my copy was falling apart and losing pages, so I had to stop reading it.

I'll check out Wild Sheep Chase as well. Do you think that Don DeLillo or Neil Stephenson might be close to what I'm looking for as well? I have them recommended to me, but I've never read them and really don't know where to start.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

While not exact here are couple that might work:

Pines - Blake Crouch. It is a fast fun read that is influenced by Twin Peaks.

Like you I really enjoy small-town stories with eccentric characters. Yesterday I just finished a book by one of Stephen King's favorite writers, Stephen Dobyns, called The Burn Palace, and loved it (small town paranoia and pagans).

These sound like exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sentientcarbon posted:

Edit: ^^^^Does Salem pick up at some point? I know I'm still in the first ~5% of the book but I'm accustomed to King hooking you in more or less right away, at least when he's on his game

It's been a while, but if definitely is worth the build-up. He spends a while building up most of the town, characters, the local legends and hinting at backstory. But by the time you hit 100 pages it should be rolling smoothly.

'Salem's Lot is a pretty important landmark for modern vampire lit, from what I understand. It's what really started getting me into King and is one of his best earlier novels (The Stand being my favorite). Also, I think it sets up some aspects of The Dark Tower series, but I haven't read those yet.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zedlic posted:

I am looking for books that play with the medium in some way. Unreliable narrators, strange chronological order, stylistic weirdness, anything that twists and bends the medium while using it to tell a story.

My favorites in this category are House of Leaves, The Raw Shark Texts and Blindness. Currently reading The Shadow of the Torturer and really like how it's written. Any suggestions on where to go next?

Kurt Vonnegut is pretty famous for this. Check out Cat's Cradle for a narrator obsessed with a fictional religion that embraces the absurd.

Also seconding The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Narrator is an autistic child who finds comfort in mathematics.

One many people haven't read is James Gunn's The Toy Collecter. A guy becomes a drug dealer to afford a lifestyle of collecting toys to reclaim his childhood. Very dark, and still funny. Similar to his film Super in tone, but grittier.

Anything by Daniel Handler for adults. The Basic Eight is like a darker version of Heathers set in the 90's, Adverbs is a collection of intertwined stories where questionable narration is a major focus, and Watch Your Mouth is an unreliable narrator with the first half of the book is told in opera form, second a twelve step program. Watch Your Mouth is my favorite, but it's extremely hosed up :barf:, even if it's well written and funny.

Also, Dice Man is alright. It's an interesting premise and the narrator is a horrible person.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've been watching the BBC series Sherlock, and I've gotten the Mystery bug again.

I'm in the mood for a mystery where the case is seemingly supernatural (it can be anything: vampires, werewolves, ghosts, etc.), but the conclusion is based in reality, much like The Hound of the Baskervilles. The more literary the better, but pulp is fine.

I enjoy Agatha Christie, Sir Arther Conan Doyle, and hard boiled detective stuff like Raymond Chandler, (I'm also planning to get Stephen King's new book Joyland) so I'm really up for anything. I just prefer to be able to try and solve it before the answer is revealed. (I'm not very well-read in the genre, so any general recommendations would be appreciated as well.)

I really didn't like the first book Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series, so nothing like that.

Also, what's the verdict on Christopher Fowler's Peculiar Crimes Unit series?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've wanted to read more Russian Lit. as well. I have two friends that study in Russian Literature and Russian History in college, and they both recommended me Notes from Underground by Dostoyevsky and The Portable Nineteenth-Century Russian Reader edited by George Gibian. I read a copy of Peaver and Volokhonsky's translation of Notes From Underground, and I really liked it. It's a short read and very interesting. George Gibian's collection is a bunch of poetry and short stories from all of the big names, from Pushkin to Gogol, Dostoyevksy to Chekov. Some of the translations are by done by Nabakov, so you get some of his style, too. I've seen it in a few different bookstores, so it should be easy to find.

Lolita's great too, but I fall in the camp that considers it American Lit., even though it's a grey area.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I found out yesterday that I'm going on a business trip to Peru for a week. I have never been, and I'm looking for a good book to give me at least some type of bearing on it. Doesn't matter if it's fiction or non-fiction. It can just take place in Peru or be about Peru, preferably something that gives me insight in their culture, history, or interesting facts about them.

Ideally, I'd be interested in reading something like A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson, but with Peru, but I'm really open for anything. Plus points for literary merit (if fiction).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tliil posted:

I need some good books where the protagonist is an unapologetic murderer, scoundrel, and criminal. Anti-hero or pure villain, I'm not particular. I just wanna root for some bad guys.

Seven Days of Peter Crumb by Jonny Glynn

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Post Office is great. Factotum's a good follow-up to it. For poetry I started with Mockingbird Wish Me Luck, which is really good and is an in-between for those two.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone recommend me a good book on chemistry? I was absolutely terrible at it in high school, and I wish I had a good knowledge on the subject.

Preferably something engaging and thorough, easy to grasp?

I was looking into The Disappearing Spoon, but I don't know if that's what I want.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that doesn't sound like what I'm looking for. I'm more interested in actually learning about Chemistry in an easy-to-digest manner while still being thorough, and hopefully entertaining. Thank you for taking the time to answer me though.

I'll check out those videos when I'm not at work.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Circle Nine posted:

:spooky: I'm looking to read about ten books this month and I'm wanting to make them all spooky halloween/autumn themed books, but aside from Bradbury's stuff I'm having trouble finding good things to add to the list. I've read most of the classic horror stuff (sleepy hollow, hill house, dracula, etc) as well. Any recommendations for some nice spooky October reading? :spooky:

The New Dead is an anthology that collects zombie stories by modern horror authors, including Joe Hill, Joe R. Lansdale, Max Brooks, and others. My friend got it for me because I love horror. I was a bit skeptical, but it's actually a lot more hits than misses. There are some disturbing stories, some creepy ones, one or two funny ones, and some are kind of emotional. The majority of the stories are good, and at worst they're readable. Plus you might find a new author you like.

Goodreads page
Amazon page

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good, well-written, credible books on body language?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if anyone's noticed, but Amazon is doing a deal called the 12 Days of Deals that started on the 2nd. Every day they're putting up a set of popular ebooks on sale for less than $4. I've already gotten The Goldfinch, If On A Winter's Night A Traveler, Underworld (DeLillo), The Cuckoo's Calling, In One Person (Irving), The Cider House Rules (Irving), The Man Who Folded Himself, Don Quixote (Grossman translation), Stardust, Blindness, John Dies at the End, and Endless Night (Christie), all for $2 a piece.

Today's deals are:

Cat's Cradle (Vonnegut)- A classic Vonnegut
Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks (by Ken Jennings the Jeopardy guy)
Grub Line Rider (Louis L'Amour)
Open Range (Lauran Paine)

There are others, but nothing that stands out. Today looks like a weaker day, too. They're putting other books up on sale as if by random, and not advertising it, so if I find something, I don't mind putting it in this thread.

(Sorry if there's a more appropriate thread for this, I figured it would be good here.)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea. But the Kindle App is free for Apple devices.

I did find this How-To from google. Maybe that'll help?

How To Read Kindle Books In iBooks, And Keep Your Library In The Cloud

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good books on the science of sleeping and dreaming?

Dreamland: Adventures in the Strange Science of Sleep is pretty good example.

I know it's kind of a broad subject, but I'm looking for any good books that cover any aspect of the subject. Dream Logic/Psychology, the chemistry involved, dream disorders, etc. Really, anything.

I'd like to stick to science and psychology, but fiction that deals with it in an interesting and/or informative way would be cool too.

(I've read some of Freud's works, and have looked into C.G. Jung, but I don't know where to start with the latter.)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I know it's a little late in the day, but as part of Amazon's 12 Days of Deals, Alissa Nutting's novel Tampa is only $2.99 for Kindle. The plot isn't for everyone, and I haven't read it yet, so I can't vouch, but from what I've looked into, it's polarizing: some love it, and others hate it. Which is to be expected for a novel about a pedophile. Nonetheless, reviews are mostly positive.

That's the only deal I noticed today, as the special was "Books For Her", and the selection didn't appeal to me.

Tampa on Goodreads

EDIT: Tampa is still on sale.

Also, as part of the 12 Days of Deals, for today only, Philip K. Dick's Valis is $1.99.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 8, 2013

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Decius posted:

Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series

While it is very British, I really didn't like The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. It's a 71-year-old man writing through an 11-year-old girl, and it feels like that. It is very much a first novel, with none of the characters fleshed out and the mystery not very intriguing. I was disappointed, because I like the idea of a girl solving mysteries with chemistry in a 1950's English countryside.

So, what I'm asking is, are any of the sequels better or worth it?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I taught elementary students at an after school program for a while. We had a reading time, and I made a point to see what the kids were reading. If she really likes Fantasy, and the obvious Harry Potter is out of the window, maybe get her books in Rick Riordan's Heroes of Olympus series? They were hugely popular. Same with the His Dark Materials series

I remember reading, and still love (Daniel Handler's) Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, which do great for vocabulary, have an interesting structure that begins to play with it's own tropes, and has a lot of literary references. They're dark, morose, and very funny. If those prove to be too dark or (somehow) boring, Daniel Handler's alter ego has a newer book series for older kids in the same Unfortunate universe called All The Wrong Questions which is based in noir and mystery.

I also really enjoyed Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, which involves monsters, time-loops, WW2, and other awesome things. But the main character is 16, and acts like it.

Other good ones:
Something Wicked This Way Comes
The Giver

Edit: The Flavia de Luce series I'm not really a big fan of the series, and it was brought up recently, but I think it's appropriate. It's about an 11 year old girl in 1950's England that is obsessed with chemistry and uses it to solve mysteries. The first book is about a murder mystery, but it's from her perspective and everything. I don't remember there being anything mature, and it's pretty light-hearted.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 13, 2013

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

YF19pilot posted:

I will start making a list, her birthday is early March so I'll hopefully be better prepared.

I'm sorry I keep adding more, but how can I forget one of my all-time favorite books as a child: HOLES. I loved that book as a kid. And hated the Shia LeBouf movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If anyone's looking into a fun, comedic, science-fiction detective novel, Douglas Adams's classic Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is on sale for the kindle on amazon.com for $1.99. It's very worth it, and the deal is for today only.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

No Longer Flaky posted:

Couldn't find a dedicated Poetry recommendation thread, or just poetry discussion thread. I haven't read a lot of poetry but I've always been a fan of Czeslaw Milosz. Are there any good collections you guys could recommend?

The Voice That Is Great Within Us: American Poetry of the Twentieth Century

Absolutely a must-have poetry collection with an awesome assortment, mini-biographies on each poet, a great mix of big names and small names, and it's very easy to find. (I've seen it at every Barnes & Nobles I've been in.)

Edit: If you don't mind ordering a used copy online, Reflections on a Gift of Watermelon Pickle is another great collection with an interesting setup. It's intended to be an introduction to poetry for all ages, so each "chapter" gets increasingly complex. It's an anthology, and it's very fun. I took it on a road trip with me, and my friend, who never reads in general (let alone poetry), picked it up, read five poems in a row and liked it.

Double Edit:

Blurred posted:

Could anyone recommend any blogs that review / rip into bad books?

Erin at Forever Young Adult did a pretty good job at drunk reviews of Flowers In The Attic that I really enjoyed. It's pretty funny and makes me never ever want to read those books.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 20, 2013

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I work for a school that trains commercial divers. I've worked for them for two years, and while I've never worked offshore, I've helped train people, I've been to 186 feet, and I'm a scuba instructor part-time. Part of my job is to inform people interested in the program on the career, and I have a hand out sheet that I give people to look into. These are the books on the hand-out:

The Simple Guide to Commercial Diving by Steven. M. Barsky and Robert W. Christensen

Deep, Dark and Dangerous by Rebecca Harrison

20,000 Jobs Under The Sea: A History of Diving and Underwater Engineering by Torrance R. Parker

Cast a Deep Shadow by Gary L Harris

Diving Pioneers by Eric Hanauer

Bottom Time: The Adventures of a Commercial Diver by Norbert Weissinger

"Bottom Time", "Diving Pioneers", and "Deep Dark and Dangerous" are your best bets for what you want. The others are best found on ebay.

If you want, I can PM you some links to documentaries on the subject too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Momotaros posted:

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you! Some of those books are $95+, are those recommendations text books? (not that I mind, I buy text books about film making all the time)

And of course I'll take those documentary recommendations as well!

No, they're just out of print, or are history books of the career. It's an extremely small industry compared to anything else, and the printing of reading material reflects that. There are only about nine good schools in the country, the one I work for being in the top two, and we're in the top 4 or 5 in the world. That said, it's a rapidly growing industry, and it's a lucrative career path if you're willing to put in the work.

As for our text books, we use the US Navy Dive Manual and The Professional Diver's Handbook, but both are pretty dry reads and are more for theory and How-To-Do-This and things, and aren't really worth reading unless you want to get in the career.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I'm on a mystery kick lately, and enjoy detective fiction. But I prefer something different. Can anyone recommend me good mysteries with an eccentric detective, or one that has an unusual handicap/circumstance?

Examples of books that fit what I'm looking for:

Inherent Vice by Pynchon: a detective who's constantly stoned or on hallucinogens.
The Little Sleep by Tremblay: a detective who suffers from severe narcolepsy which causes hallucinations, memory loss, and automatic behavior while asleep.
The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters: a detective story set in a world that will be destroyed in six months.
The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse by Rankin: a little boy and a teddy bear detective in Toy Land.
Three Bags Full by Swann: a flock of sheep solve a mystery.
[b]The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie[b] by Bradley: A 12 year old girl who loves chemistry solves a murder. (I wasn't the biggest fan.)

Any other good books that fit this category? Especially ones that are on par with the first three I mentioned.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You guys have dropped some good recommendations, I've already ordered a few.

I have read Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and I have Dirk Gently, and I just forgot to mention those, but they fit the criteria well.

If anyone has any more recommendations, I'd love them. I'm building my reading list for this year.

You guys are awesome, by the way!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just want to say thanks again for all the detective novel recommendations. There were some cool gems, and I got a good reading list to start this year. Thanks everyone!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Irony.or.Death posted:

Cross-posting from the psych thread: I have decided I need a book about lobotomies. The ideal would be a combination technical manual/case studies/aggregate statistics, with actual anatomical detail and descriptions of behavioral change. Initial browsing makes me think most of what's been written has a much greater focus on historical context and ethics than the details I'm looking for. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd very much appreciate them.

The only thing I got for you is My Lobotomy by Howard Dully, which goes a little in history and science, but is mainly a memoir with first hand experiences and effects from being lobotomized.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

lumbergill posted:

I'm looking for something fairly easy-reading, to ease me through post-oral-surgery pain. I am looking for something noir-ish, possibly fantastical. I recently read The Manual of Detection, by Jedediah Berry, and would love something along those lines. Other authors that I have enjoyed and fit the mood I'm in are Jasper Fforde, Haruki Murakami, Raymond Chandler, Neil Gaiman.

Right now I'm reading The Little Sleep. It's a modern hard-boiled detective novel, and the narrator is a detective with severe narcolepsy. This causes hypnogogic hallucinations, false memories, automatic behavior he can't remember, lost time, cataplexy, and he can fall asleep at any moment. So solving a case isn't that easy for him. He's also self-conscious, tries to be witty and suave like Bogart but fails miserably, and he's kinda delusional.

It's not uncommon for the contents of one chapter to contradict the previous chapter, and it makes you question what's real and what's in the narrator's mind, but it's actually easy to follow and very enjoyable. And as the name implies, it takes a big inspiration from Raymond Chandler.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

bowser posted:

I'm looking for something that meets the following criteria:
- Modern setting
- A well written relationship, but not necessarily a romance book. I'm thinking of some recent movies like Drinking Buddies, Her or The Spectacular Now...Books about what it means to be in a relationship, not just characters falling in love
- NOT genre-fiction. I'm just tired of sci-fi and fantasy. I don't mind if the story isn't 100% realistic (I'm reading A Confederacy of Dunces now and really enjoying the absurdist elements), but no magic or technobabble please.

It's not a modern setting, but it's a quick read: The Ballad of the Sad Cafe by Carson McCullers. Here is a good (but long) quote from it that I really like.

quote:

"First of all, love is a joint experience between two persons — but the fact that it is a joint experience does not mean that it is a similar experience to the two people involved. There are the lover and the beloved, but these two come from different countries. Often the beloved is only a stimulus for all the stored-up love which had lain quiet within the lover for a long time hitherto. And somehow every lover knows this. He feels in his soul that his love is a solitary thing. He comes to know a new, strange loneliness and it is this knowledge which makes him suffer. So there is only one thing for the lover to do. He must house his love within himself as best he can; he must create for himself a whole new inward world — a world intense and strange, complete in himself. Let it be added here that this lover about whom we speak need not necessarily be a young man saving for a wedding ring — this lover can be man, woman, child, or indeed any human creature on this earth.

Now, the beloved can also be of any description. The most outlandish people can be the stimulus for love. A man may be a doddering great-grandfather and still love only a strange girl he saw in the streets of Cheehaw one afternoon two decades past. The preacher may love a fallen woman. The beloved may be treacherous, greasy-headed, and given to evil habits. Yes, and the lover may see this as clearly as anyone else — but that does not affect the evolution of his love one whit. A most mediocre person can be the object of a love which is wild, extravagant, and beautiful as the poison lilies of the swamp. A good man may be the stimulus for a love both violent and debased, or a jabbering madman may bring about in the soul of someone a tender and simple idyll. Therefore, the value and quality of any love is determined solely by the lover himself.

It is for this reason that most of us would rather love than be loved. Almost everyone wants to be the lover. And the curt truth is that, in a deep secret way, the state of being beloved is intolerable to many. The beloved fears and hates the lover, and with the best of reasons. For the lover is forever trying to strip bare his beloved. The lover craves any possible relation with the beloved, even if this experience can cause him only pain."

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Apes-Ma posted:

I recently got into Pynchon and I am reading and loving the hell out of The Crying Of Lot 49. I already own V. and Gravity's Rainbow, but I am unsure if I should just throw myself at GR or if I should wait and try to tackle V. or some of his other novels like Inherent Vice first.

Any takers?

Inherent Vice is the third in the "California Trilogy", which is The Crying of Lot 49, Vineland, and IV. I personally love Inherent Vice, and it's one of my all-time favorites, but it's much more Casual Pynchon than Encyclopedia Pynchon.

V. is a great book, but it's pretty out there and it leaves more questions than answers, and that's kinda the point.

You really can't go wrong with a Pynchon book, it just depends on how much you want to dedicate to it. If you want a challenge, read GR, V., Against the Day, and especially Mason & Dixon. If you want a more relaxed, fun experience with the depth hidden in plain sight, read Vineland, Inherent Vice, or Bleeding Edge.

This year I'm going to read through all of Pynchon, and I'm going to chart my descent into lunacy in a blog.

Also, use Pynchon Wiki.

Fellwenner posted:

I'd like some recommendations for poetry. I cannot get into it, but I'd really like to be able to at some point. Every year I make this promise to myself and break it.

You should check into Poetry Daily. They have a great variety, and an archives section, so you can discover something new every day.

For books, you should buy a used copy of Reflections on a Gift of Watermelon Pickle. It's a book of poems designed for a person new to the format. The poems start simple and get increasingly complex. It's an interested format, and really enjoyable to read.

If you want an awesome anthology with amazing variety, try The Voice That Is Great Within Us. It has most of the great and influential American poets, mini biographies on who they were and their influence, and a mix of their most famous and some great-but-not-as-well-known. It's nice to be able to open up randomly and find a new poem you love.

Billy Collins is pretty cool, and I like to show him to people that aren't familiar with poetry. His collection Ballistics is good, but any of his collections are good. His poems are just brief little insights into the world he lives in. I like his poem Searching. See if you like that.

For Bukowski, try Mockingbird Wish Me Luck, which is a great collection. It has his poem rain, which is a good indicator of his style. It also has some darkly funny/cynical poems, like My Friend William. If you like those, I'd check him out.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Poetry is just a medium. If you like Science Fiction, you aren't going to like every Sci-Fi book you read, you're going to like certain authors, or certain types of stories. Same with movies, music, paintings, and any other art form.

There are poets out there that are more broadly enjoyed, like the humorous Ogden Nash, the odd e. e. cummings, Edwin Arlington Robinson, Emily Dickenson, I mean the list can go on.

Your best bet is to get an anthology, like I recommended. Any library should have a decent collection of anthologies. Make a list of who you like, and then try to find collections that contain them and those similar, or just get collections of their full work.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 13, 2014

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

End Of Worlds posted:

If you're over the age of 19 and you're not grappling with some deeply-rooted misogyny don't touch Bukowski with a 10 metre cattle prod.

That's really harsh and oversimplifying a great writer, and I vehemently disagree.

"If you're not gay or deeply into hedonism, stay away from Oscar Wilde."

"If you're not a stoner or into mathematics and history, stay away from Thomas Pynchon."

"If you've never been on a ship or hung out with a cannibal, stay away from Moby-Dick."

"If you've never been on a safari or a fishing trip and didn't fight in a world war, stay the gently caress away from Hemingway."

I am over the age of 19 and not a misogynist, and I think Bukowski is fantastic. My girlfriend who introduced me to his writings was also not 19 or a misogynist. His works are a great representation of depression, loneliness, addiction, and someone battling their insecurities. Each of his books capture the problems that anyone can experience at certain points in their life. He can be very poignant and heart-wrenching. Yes, he uses an extremely exaggerated character to convey his ideas and themes, but he also wants to be entertaining to the reader. He was a flawed person, yeah, but to write him off because of his flaws is really ignorant. If you don't like the book or author: cool. Don't write off all of his works or the people that enjoy it because you don't like it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Why not try The Twilight Zone Anthology. All new stories, some by Serling himself. I have a friend that's currently reading it and he only has good remarks.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone recommend me a non-fiction book about the Nazi interest and practice of the occult? I've always heard that Hitler was interested in the supernatural as a military weapon, so any books that explore that would be awesome. I don't care if it's a dense, fully-researched textbook-style, or if it's a light read, as long as it's something that goes into the why they looked into the dark arts, and how.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Can of Cloud posted:

Recommend me THE post apocalyptic novel to read.

From the top of my head, I have read:

The Road
Fahrenheit 451
Atlas Shrugged
Cell (Stephen King)

The Stand by Stephen King (uncut is good, but you can enjoy the original, which some prefer) .

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Lawrence Block was mentioned in here recently, and ten of his books are on sale on Kindle for today only here.

I've never read him, but I thought I'd mention it anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tosk posted:

Hey, I just finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I believe it was recommended here, even. I really, really enjoyed the book and particularly the way it narrated the main character's life with beautiful prose and poignant moments that make one think back to their own life a little bit despite the book's rather larger-than-life story. If anyone has any suggestions for books in the same genre, I'd love to hear them.

Have you read anything by John Irving? You could try A Prayer for Owen Meany. It's an epic about two characters growing up in New England, one of them a shy but athletic type, the other, Owen, is an albino dwarf who is a devout Christian. It explores friendship, faith, fate, love, family, and the Vietnam War serves as a catalyst. It's very good and hits all the points you requested.