Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

GorfZaplen posted:

The Wingman series by Mack Maloney, an ace fighter pilot fights against neo-nazis in a post-apocalyptic war torn United States. Several of the books have explicit anti-racist themes where he fights against the KKK (who now have fighter jets too). The author is pretty open about his politics being different than most men's fiction writers although his books are still pretty hoo-rah america and military for dads of that stripe. I'd say these lean more into men's pulp than technothriller territory though!

One of the Wingman books involves an invasion from a literal asiatic horde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

You aren't supposed to be laughing at it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

If you read it as comedic, you are reading it wrong.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Doom Mathematic posted:

I am looking for a book I could give to a six-year-old (reads at the level of an eight-year-old) son of a friend of mine for his birthday. His parents say "genre of your choice" and I'm veering toward science fiction but I don't have any idea what's out there. I also know children's books can be all over the place in quality. So, just like a fistful of recommendations I can peruse would be good? Thank you in advance.

This is likely a little bit on the advanced side for that age, but might work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ILKI02Q/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

It is a Sci-Fi retelling of Captains Courageous.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

regulargonzalez posted:

The Great Train Robbery is fantastic, arguably Crichton's best work. Based on a true story and all that.

I remember at least one part of that book that is not fantastic at all.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

MockingQuantum posted:

Can you expand on this, maybe in a spoiler? I probably won't ever read it but if there's something really rough or lovely in the book I might warn her away from that one.

Sorry, I haven't opened this thread in a bit.

Chapter 19 of The Great Train Robbery involves obtaining an important key by sending someone to seduce the person carrying it. The girl sent is 12 years old, and this is rather played up in the narration.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thread, I want zombie survival novels. Zombie books. Books about zombies.

What I've read/heard of:

- World War Z (fascinating, fun, deeply flawed)
- Lilith Saintcrow's Roadtrip Z (platonic ideal imho)
- Mira Grant's zombie novels
- Girl with all the gifts
- White Trash Zombie series by Rowland
- Zone One

Specifically I'm in the mood for generic "zombies are breaking out / have broken out, and now we must survive!", hopefully with a theme of humans teaming up. I'm down with series, kindle unlimited, anything, as long as it's cool zombies. (I'm also down for less generic stuff, but not as much?)

I'm also listening to Zombies, Run! on my iphone as a fitness app, and I adore zombie games ala Project Zomboid, State of Decay 2, Days Gone, and so on.

Not a novel, but Stephen King has a short story that takes place in a classic zombie apocalypse - Home Delivery, found in Nightmares and Dreamscapes

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Just finished reading His Dark Materials / Book Of Dust to the kids, what's something good we can dive into next? They're 10 and 8 but enjoy a lot. Done Harry Potter and Narnia too.

I asked google and got this list, and it looks like there's a few they'd probably enjoy (Exhalation, To Say Nothing of The Dog, The Bone Clocks), but they all seem Adult. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing (we just did SpaceBoy by David Walliams and it felt weird to be doing something so silly), but are there any books or series I'm missing?

At that age the Sherlock Holmes stories might be a good fit - most can be read in an evening, but they might still be a bit of a high bar for independent reading.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

Specifically, I want to find the best(?) versions of the big three Abrahamic texts: Torah, Bible, and Koran.

Sounds like you might want to look into works like The Making of the Bible: From the First Fragments to Sacred Scripture and A History of the Bible: The Story of the World's Most Influential Book (both of which have been well received. by religious institutions, they're not deliberately iconoclastic)

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Paperhouse posted:

any other good novels that are written partly or entirely as conversations happening on an internet message board? I thought it was a fascinating way to tell a mystery story

Diane Duane's Spock's World has some portions written on the Enterprise's internal BBS.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'm really trying to get my dad to read books. He's nearing retirement and needs something to do. One of the few books he's read in recent years was non-fiction about a sailing race around the antarctic circle. So, something like that, nautical adventure books are what I'm looking for. Probably gotta be non-fiction, but maybe a novel if it's really good.

Hard to go wrong with the classic Bounty trilogy by Nordhoff.. The middle book, Men Against The Sea, in particular sounds fitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

tuyop posted:

Dragon’s Egg by Robert L. Forward is about a neutron star passing through the solar system and the interesting implications of extreme gravity and magnetism and time dilation for evolution.

Both this and the sequel (Starquake) are on the short side as well, so it is a nice selection for a club format.