Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

FPyat posted:

I want to read someone's collected essays and articles, hopefully with at least a few penetrating book/movie reviews, maybe even music reviews.

I really enjoyed The Wave in the Mind by Ursula Le Guin, and it's got great essays on Tolkein, Tolstoy, and Twain (among others).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah, there's not a lot of description of gore in Christie beyond thumps on the head or stabbings. I'd maybe avoid The Body in the Library since it touches on a body in the aftermath of a car accident, but even then it's not in particularly descriptive terms.

edit: also body in the library is a marple book and most of those aren't as good lol

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

My top 5 poirots:

Five Little Pigs
Cards on the Table
The Hollow
The ABC Murders
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd/Murder on the Orient Express (take your pick; two decently well written mysteries with extremely bold twists)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Honestly I think a read of Ackroyd where you know the twist is just as good but in a different way.

I'm kinda lukewarm on Curtain. I love the central conceit but a lot of the writing surrounding it is a little clumsy, I guess? and I'm not a huge fan of the ending.

Either way, I wouldn't recommend it as babby's first Poirot anyway.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Don't get me wrong, even a bad Poirot is better than your average mystery*, and Curtain's not a bad Poirot, but if I had to pick five, Curtain wouldn't be on the list.

*except Hickory Dickory Dock and Elephants Can Remember which I am much less charitable about

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

The Young Wizards series is pretty good if you're looking for a more sci-fi take on magic. The series started in 1983, last book was published in 2016 (+ short stories published later), but the author's gone back and updated the first few books (edit: all the books published at the time) around 2012 iirc.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 29, 2023

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Really what I want to recommend is Earthsea tbh

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

tuyop posted:

I'd recommend the Binti novellas. They're delightful and accessible and afrofuturism is great!

Afrofuturism is great, and I'm gonna hijack your comment to request some recommendations in that particular genre because I'm sadly under-read in that regard.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I feel like the Craft Sequence books by Max Gladstone might be up your alley but idk if they have audiobook versions. They pretty much have to, right?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Hastings is fun in the Poirot tv show because they give him a new dumb hobby every episode and it's usually somehow relevant

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

and the short story comp.basilisk.FAQ is written as a usenet post

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Any of Ursula le Guin's sci-fi books (particularly Lathe of Heaven, Left Hand of Darkness, The Dispossessed, and Always Coming Home) are a great read.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Musui's Story owns

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Anyone got any suggestions for afrofuturism that isn't the usual suspects (Octavia Butler and N.K. Jemisin)? I wanna get more into it but I don't know where to start looking.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I think I've read Who Fears Death but not anything else she's done. I'll take a look at her other works, too.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Upsidads posted:

So any good books on Japan or Italy at the immediate era after ww2

Barefoot Gen is a classic if you're ok with manga.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Upsidads posted:

I'm looking for less depressing than Grave of the Fireflies (which is everything) more of a historical overview. Like how do you move past Mussolini or MacArthur

Definitely not Barefoot Gen, then.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

The Tough Guide to Fantasyland and/or The Dictionary of Imaginary Places

e: probably the former is more suited

If you want specifically mythology and are okay with specifically Greek mythology, it's hard to beat the D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths. The Illustrated Book of Myths by Neil Phillip is a good one too.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 21, 2024

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

This one's a long shot, but anyone have any suggestions for english-language books about the Ainu, particularly ones about the language? Dictionaries etc are fine if they're more recent than, like, the 1900s.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Maybe the BLIT series by David Langford? a cycle of short stories revolving around the idea of images that can crash the human brain. Granted, none of them are that long, but you might find them interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Alex Horne wrote a book about getting into birdwatching with his dad that might be interesting, esp if they're a fan of British comedy as well (what a venn diagram that is)