Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Recommend me some works of funny, harsh literary criticism along the lines of A Reader's Manifesto by B. R. Myers. Or compilations like Roger Ebert's I Hated Hated HATED This Movie, but for books rather than films. Amusing negative reviews that really rip apart the books at hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Thanks all! I should reread Le Ton Beau at some point; I recently reread Godel, Escher, Bach for the first time in years.

Oh gosh, I'd forgotten about that one! Another thing worth revisiting.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
I'm interested in unconventional/anachronistic translations of ancient and medieval poetry, along the lines of Maria Headley's recent take on Beowulf or Birk and Sander's Divine Comedy. Especially translations of the Homeric epics in unconventional ways.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Those all sound like just the sort of thing I'm looking for, thank you three!

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
I'm interested in sci-fi that explores the culture and thought processes of intelligent beings that are very different from humans (animals, aliens, artificial intelligences, whatever), such as Le Guin's "Author of the Acacia Seeds." Also nonfiction and philosophy that touches on similar ideas, e.g. Flusser's Vampyroteuthis Infernalis.

ScienceSeagull fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 30, 2021

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
I read Dragon's Egg and the sequel Star Quake years ago, don't really remember much. Thanks for all the recs!

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
If they don't have these already, the Dinotopia series by James Gurney, The Way Things Work by David Macaulay, and anything by Graeme Base. I loved those when I was little.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

yaffle posted:

After Man by Dougal Dixon is back in print.

I think New Dinosaurs by the same author is still out of print, but it's definitely a Cool Book Uncle book. (I think I discovered that book, and the ones I posted about earlier, from my Cool Book Grandparents.)

I probably wouldn't recommend Man After Man, though.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Yeah, it's not bad in itself, but it's much darker in tone than Dixon's other books and the illustrations of modified humans might be a bit scary for young ones.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
What are some entertaining nonfiction books about controversies in science and academia? Such as The Linguistics Wars by Randy Allen Harris (the new edition of which is on my to-read list). I'm primarily interested in stuff related to linguistics, cognition/neuroscience, and biology, but other fields are welcome too if the more technical aspects are explained in a way accessible to the general reader.

ScienceSeagull fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 3, 2022

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
What are some good collections of microfiction, flash fiction or short-short stories? I'm not totally clear on the cutoff points for those terms, but I mean like a page maximum in length, maybe only a few sentences. I'm especially interested in fantasy, horror, and weird fiction in this format.

ScienceSeagull fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 19, 2022

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Azhais posted:

Don't know if they're quite as short as you're looking for, but Bruce Bethke's (of Cyberpunk fame) current project Stupefying Stories is a magazine with short stories and such

https://stupefyingstories.blogspot.com/

There does appear to be a few shorts on the main blog atm too

Yeah, I was thinking of even shorter short stories than those, but they look cool, thanks!

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Thanks for the recs, everyone!

fez_machine posted:

For sci-fi check out Terry Bisson

I always liked They're Made of Meat, so I definitely will.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
I've read Invisible Cities and loved it-- something I should revisit sometime. Thanks for the reminder.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
I'm interested in stories that deal with infinity, eternity, and related concepts -- truly enormous expanses of time and space, or huge numbers more generally. Such as Borges' Library of Babel, and Steven Peck's Short Stay in Hell (which is based on the Borges story).

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
What are some books like Einstein's Dreams or Invisible Cities? Short stories exploring weird alternate worlds or thought experiments.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
You might like The Northern Caves and the short story Where Oaken Hearts Do Gather, both available online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
The Embedding by Ian Watson. A couple of the stories in Le Guin's Changing Planes also feature unusual languages.