Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
I found Hardcore Zen to be very formative as a teen, but I don't know if it holds up.

I remember it being more about growth in a life of general debauchery, but there may have been a stint in the pen involved.

While I'm no Buddhist or Zen practitioner by any stretch, the mindfulness and thankfulness it exposed me to planted seeds which I try to cultivate to this day.

malnourish fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

escape artist posted:

Two requests:

A good Pratchett audiobook that will serve as an entrypoint into his other works. I've heard mixed things about the audio versions.

Also, any books that discuss LGBT treatment in modern prisons. I am wrapping up an Oral History of Riker's, but that only has a single chapter focusing on LGBT issues.

Butcher's Crossing by John Miller is a hell of a read. And it scratched my Cormac itch. If you want something a little more "fun" that is also well-written, try The Thicket by Joe R. Lansdale.

The Once and Future King is pretty great if you haven't read it.

Just finished Mort today and rightly enjoyed it

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

caspergers posted:

The audiobook or the dramatization? I listened to the latter from audible recently, it was my first intro to prattchet and I liked it too. As an American I delight in regional English accents and dramatizations are a good way to enjoy that.

Drama. Finished Equal Rites and onto Wyrd Sisters now, so far, so good!

tuyop posted:

Friend,, you should definitely read Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Tokarczuk

Having just finished that book myself, I'd instead recommend Peace by Gene Wolfe.

It scratches a very similar itch and I found the story much more emotionally resonating, the writing better, and it was quite simply scarier in hindsight.

malnourish fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 18, 2023

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Annath posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for any entertaining book/series that contains both scifi/technology and magic. Think... Shadowrun?

I'm less concerned with whether or not the books are "good" in a literary sense, just if they are entertaining.

For example, I think the Dungeon Crawler Carl series is awesome. They're not gonna win a World Fantasy Award or a Hugo, but they're a fun combo of SciFi and fantasy (admittedly much more SciFi overall).

A bit of a stretch, but Gideon the Ninth & co. are fantastically entertaining magical fantasy books with a smattering of scifi trappings.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

woke kaczynski posted:

I've recently gotten back into reading a lot more now I've unearthed my eReader. Most of what I read tends to be sci-fi, and lately I'm really craving sci-fi that specifically has novel treatments of genders, sexualities and relationship structures. I've got several excellent anthologies on those themes, I loved Left Hand of Darkness and I was recently started back on my bullshit with reading the middle section of The Gods Themselves. Any recommendations that might have flown under the radar?

I don't know if you consider this "under the radar" (nor sci-fi for that matter) but the Too Like the Lightning series is built in a foundation of novel relationships, genders, and sexualities.