Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Ponuh posted:

This might be a bit too esoteric a request for this thread but I'm looking for a good, substantial although sub-monstrous history of the Soviet Union, or a few. Thanks kindly.
In my class on Soviet History we used Ronald Suny's The Soviet Experiment. It's pretty good for a textbook-level history, I think.

I can't speak about any others at the textbook level (most of the things I've read have been focused on the period from the Revolution to the beginning of WWII, and have been either primary sources or very academic works), but you should be very wary of any books you look at regarding Soviet history. It's still a relatively poorly researched and very, very contentious field. You'll find bizarre biases and misleading interpretations all over the place.

If you have some formal history training it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but if not, read a bunch of reviews about anything you're looking at and keep in mind that a bunch of those reviews (and a bunch of the books) will come from Soviet apologists, another bunch from Trotskyists, and another bunch from people who are still angry that we didn't nuke the commie bastards when we had the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU