Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

KitschCraft posted:

I'm interested in books about money; fiction or non, but not how-to. Specifically, I'm looking for books about how money or the lack of money affects and influences a person's life. The book should have financial and/or class standing as a pervasive theme.

Books I've read and liked, for example: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Nickle and Dimed, The Working Poor, Random Family, No Shame in My Game on the poverty end of the spectrum, and American Psycho, Martin Amis' Money, on the affluent end. The more specific detail, the better (like the tin-can bank in Brooklyn). The book doesn't have to have much literary merit as long as it's interesting and personal.

Similarly, I'm interested in true crime where money/greed heavily influenced the criminal(s). Anything from Mob stories to crooked day-traders, to elaborate schemes to steal millions from corporations.

Fictionwise, try Easton Ellis's Glamorama. It kind of has a thread in many of the things you mentioned. New York model trying to open up a new club, gets involved in other things...

[b]Den of Thieves[b] is what I'm reading right now, about the big insider trading scandal in the 80s'. It's unbelievable what these guys did for money. Total financial black arts.

I also just finished Michael Lewis's [u]Liar's Poker[u] which is a good story about working at Salmon Brothers before their decline. I would recommend reading it if for no other reason than for the Human Piranha section. I laughed so hard at that part. Overall it was an entertaining book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

barkingclam posted:

Can anybody recommend a good anthology of English (or American) literature for a non-student? I've been reading my sisters Norton and Longman anthologies while she's home for the summer and really been enjoying them. But they're both a little too textbook-ish and expensive for me to go out and buy myself. Is there anything like this meant for more general reading?

If you don't mind old editions that I used way back in the dark ages, I might be able to dig out some anthologies for you for free. Just PM me if you're interested.

I also wanted to thank this thread for ruining my sleep this past week, as I was reading House of Leaves. Next time I read it, I won't read it before bed time. :drat:

Awesome book.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Looking for some good nonfiction books on 9/11. It's hard to separate the good ones from the crap. I have a couple of novels lined up (Delillo's The Falling Man and one other I can't remember), so I guess fiction as well.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Argali posted:

This may seem a bit obvious, but have you read the official 9/11 Report?

You know, I actually haven't! Thanks!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I've searched the thread for a recommendation, but haven't seen anything, so here's my request: I'm looking for a book that addresses how to think like a philosopher. I know philosophy is a massive subject, so I'm not really sure where to start. Should I look at classic philosophy texts, textbooks, a Dummies book? I really have no background in the subject other than the Yale philosophy of death videos on YouTube, but it's really piqued my interest.

Edit: thinking about it over lunch, it seems like I'm most interested in logic and morality.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 7, 2013

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Sort of a recommendation question: I've tried reading Carl Sagan's "Demon Haunted World," but never make it more than halfway through as I get a preaching-to-the-choir feeling.

Would Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion" be more of the same?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Looking for a good intro to philosophy. Never took philosophy in college and always sort of wished I had. Any good starting points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Lawen posted:

That's a bit like saying "looking for an intro to Science" but Simon Blackburn's Think is a decent primer on Western philosophy.

Right, I knew that was a pretty broad and vague request, but I honestly don't know where to start.

What got me interested lately is watching the Shelly Kagan courses on the philosophy of death and dying, which made me think about how we perceive time (and how real/unreal it is), trying to think about space beyond 3 dimensions... Again, vague.

Think and The Story of Philosphy sound like good starting points, thanks! If you guys have any more ideas I'd love to hear them.