Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Radio Talmudist posted:

I just finished gorging myself upon the 70 or so official Sherlock Holmes stories. My thirst for mystery is not yet satisfied, however, and I'm looking for another hefty mystery novel or collection of mystery stories to occupy my time. I'm not sure what I'm looking for more - extraordinary conundrums, unique, colorful detectives or vibrant historical settings. All three brought me to Sherlock Holmes in the first place. Psychological mind-benders are also welcome.

Dorothy Sayers's Peter Wimsey series. I don't know if the conundra are extraordinary but I think the other two match up. At least one ("Whose Body") is out of copyright so at least it won't cost you anything. (My favorite "Murder Must Advertise")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

bloodynose posted:

So, now I want something actually spacey and sciency. In the past I've read Dune and Ender's Game and while I enjoyed them both, would rather get into something else than continue one of those right now.

Alastair Reynolds's Revelation Space &seq. Maybe also Iain Banks's Culture novels?

quote:

I've heard the Foundation series is awesome, but I'm open to other books/series as well. If I do decide on Foundation though, should I start with Foundation or Prelude to Foundation?

Read the original trilogy and then stop.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Metajo Cum Dumpster posted:

I need to delve into a good space "opera" epic, a book series like Babylon5, something that is epic in breadth but doesn't slouch in the middle just to pad out a few more books. Like ASoIaF, but in space! Recommendations? No Ender, though.

You may as well go to the source and read Lensman.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Morlock posted:

Hans Zinsser's Rats, Lice and History (a "biography" of typhus);

Rats, Lice, and History has a footnote that reads:

quote:

If the reader does not know what this term means, it is too bad.

When I read it I put little bits of paper between pages where Zissner said something good but I gave up partway through because there were just too many.

Carl Zimmer also had Parasite Rex, which was only marginally about human disease, but it's a good book.

A Nation of Laws posted:

If you like science but are science retarded like me check out the Best American Science and Nature Writing series, it contains excellent essays for general consumption.

one can often get older editions of these for real cheap at remainder stores

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Blurred posted:

Can someone recommend me a good book about dinosaurs? Looking for something relatively in depth, which covers theories about their evolution and biology etc. rather than just a book with pretty pictures. Most of the dinosaur books I can find on Amazon seem geared towards children. :(

I think the guys over at 'Saurpod Vertebra Picture of the Week' had some posts about dinosaur books a while ago, and even if they didn't there's in-depth talk about (some kinds of) dinosaurs http://svpow.wordpress.com/

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

Im wondering if there are any fantasy novels out there that uses tropes and character archtypes usally seen in western novels. Basicaly a wild west fantasy novel.

The Flight of Michael McBride?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

BlueBayou posted:

I really want to read a book about time travel that is told in chronological order. Do any decent ones exist?

The Man Who Folded Himself by Gerrold (?)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

fritz posted:

The Man Who Folded Himself by Gerrold (?)

I don't know if it's 'decent', especially as it's sometimes referred to as The Man Who hosed Himself but I'm going on your "wacky adventures of misfits and their malfunctioning time machine told in chronological order" clarification.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I like a lot of people hated reading and school, and only recently picked it up as a hobby, therefor I missed out on a lot of classics since I probably read them hating every minute of it.

Right now I can say the only "classic" book I read and like are 1984 and Animal Farm and most of my reading right now is history books. I'm pretty open to anything you can recommend, even if I don't agree with it religiously or politically.

Sorry about having such a broad question, but its better then googling "what classic book should I read?"

If you can find a bookstore (or, even better, a library) with a 'literature' section go there and scan the shelves and if you see something that looks interesting leaf through it and maybe read a page in the middle and some at the beginning and see if it's good!

I mean, people itt can sit here all day and rattle off good book titles, or you can take this γνῶσις and know how to find good books your own self!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Turtle Parlor posted:

I found a book at Barnes and Noble by Roger Zelazny, "The Amber Series 1-10" or something like that. Looked up the Amber stuff on Wiki and found some other sites and i think it might be something I like. Anything I should know about the series before dropping the coin on em?

Zelazny was one of the giants of the field for a reason. Do it.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Facial Fracture posted:

I really like historical biographies/autobiographies and eyewitness accounts of history either about or written by obnoxious liars, loudmouth windbags, failures, and other people whose lives are invariably more interesting than successful, kindly old dears. Anything that's simultaneously edifying and gossipy, preferably with an author whose bias is evident all over the place.

Maybe Hunted Through Central Asia by Paul Nazaroff? (Nazaroff was a White Russian who made you think that maybe the Reds had the right idea)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Death Hamster posted:

The problem is I think I've read most of what's out there:

quote:

(1-17)
I think that's it...

dude :(

There are literally hundreds of new books published in the genre every year. Fellas upthread already mentioned Brust and Cook, get yourself some Erikson or Pratchett or GENE WOLFE or find a used book store and get some Hugh Cook; Kate Elliot just finished a series and there's also her previous one, Kerr's Deverry books are finally done and yea the last couple stunk but the first few are great and there's like a million of them; I see you mentioned Dave Duncan, Lawrence Watt Evans is kind of like him.

For these vague kind of genre recommendations you shouldn't listen to some jackass like me on the somethingawful.com forums you should GO TO THE LIBRARY and GET A LIBRARY CARD and FIND THE GENRE SECTION and GRAB SOME BOOKS AT RANDOM TO SEE IF THEY ARE GOOD because what's the worst that can happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Death Hamster posted:

I have read (and love) Gene Wolfe, but I figured his New Sun/Long Sun/Short Sun books were counted as Science Fiction/Dying Earth genre and not Fantasy...although I can see how they would be.

Thanks for the other recommendations, though.

Man, you can't split hairs that fine, New Sun's got a dude with a sword going around having adventures and in any case I was thinking more along the lines of the Latro books or Wizard/Knight. You're also a Duncan guy and you didn't mention his older stuff like /The Cursed/ or /West of January/ (yeah maybe this one's /technically/ on the sf side but you can just sort of pretend you didn't see that part).