Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i saw dasein
Apr 7, 2004

Written postery is worth reading once, and then should be destroyed. Let the dead posters make way for others... ~

Archyduke posted:

Eggers has a new book out, or coming out very very soon-- here's some info . Maybe some Chabon or Lethem? People are probably kind of tired of hearing about it, but "Infinite Jest" might appeal to a Zadie Smith fan.

Oh, and "Sentimental Education" is really cool, if she hasn't read it already.

Yeah probably most stuff from McSweeney's would appeal. If she hasn't read it yet she's partically guaranteed to enjoy the Corrections if she likes Eggers and Smith. Infinite jest might be a bit heavy given the circumstances. have you considered short stories? could be better for who doesn't necessarily want to concentrate for a long period of time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i saw dasein
Apr 7, 2004

Written postery is worth reading once, and then should be destroyed. Let the dead posters make way for others... ~
I remember Barbarians at the Gate is about RJR Nabisco being pretty interesting. It covers the leveraged buy out of Nabisco and RJ Tobacco Company, which was basically a move designed to make a lot of money for a few people who didn't really deserve it. I recently read House of Cards and found it good and very personal, it's very much about the personalities at play in Bear Stearns throughout the life of the firm. Both are non-fiction obviously.

i saw dasein
Apr 7, 2004

Kapucinski's Another Day of Life is non-fiction set in the Angolan civil war, very evocative and I think gives a really strong sense of what it is like to be present for decolonization. Many of his other books cover revolutions and coups. Michener is sort of a grocery-store paper back writer, but some of his stuff has real merit as far as giving you the general sense of the history of a place. His book Covenant covers pretty much all of South African history through fictional accounts of various families. Not great writing by any stretch but useful in learning something about South Africa without slogging through history books.

i saw dasein
Apr 7, 2004

Quantumfate, life of pi would probably be a good choice, its very light and easy and entertaining, but also kind of reminded of Hesse a little. very popular book club type read, but excellent.