Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Anyone got any good recommendation for books regarding mortuary sciences, the death industry, and societal mythologies involving death and the afterlife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

The DPRK posted:

Currently reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy for the first time. Really enjoying the huge, detailed world, the magic, the epic nature of the quest and the overwhelming odds.

I fancy something like this when I'm finished, but written by a modern author. Something which kind of reflects some contemporary concerns but through the high fantasy genre (I don't really fancy going into the wider tolkien universe at this time, I'd sooner delve into a whole new world (I also don't want to go with Games of Thrones which I've seen given as an example of "21st century tolkien")).

What can you recommend? If you're a big Tolkien head, what have you really liked recently that comes close to it?

If you don't need a serious tone then Terry Pratchett's Discworld

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

MohawkSatan posted:

I've got bad taste and enjoy bad things, like Dungeons and Dragons novels. I just finished the Brimstone Angels series, anyone got suggestions for something similar?

If you liked DnD novels and don't mind a comedic tone go for Discworld by Terry Pratchett (unless you've already read them)

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Its Coke posted:

I'm looking for fiction with any of these qualities

- Clever wordplay
- Based around a historical event
- Includes exploration of real mystical or esoteric principles
- Skillfully evocative descriptions that paint a picture

Tea Obreht's The Tigers Wife

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Looking for casual books about the philosophical failures of enlightenment, critiques of pure reason, how poo poo capitalism is, the ideas of Leo Straus and the ideas of Hannah Ardent.

Anything out there that covers most of those bases?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Rhulman's Ratio is a very good general purpose cook book

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

The Dawn of Everything, a New History of Humanity?

quote:

A trailblazing account of human history, challenging our most fundamental assumptions about social evolution--from the development of agriculture and cities to the emergence of "the state," political violence, and social inequality--and revealing new possibilities for human emancipation. For generations, our remote ancestors have been cast as primitive and childlike--either free and equal innocents, or thuggish and warlike. Civilization, we are told, could be achieved only by sacrificing those original freedoms or, alternatively, by taming our baser instincts. David Graeber and David Wengrow show how such theories first emerged in the eighteenth century as a conservative reaction to powerful critiques of European society posed by Indigenous observers and intellectuals. Revisiting this encounter has startling implications for how we make sense of human history today, including the origins of farming, property, cities, democracy, slavery, and civilization itself. Drawing on pathbreaking research in archaeology and anthropology, the authors show how history becomes a far more interesting place once we learn to throw off our conceptual shackles and perceive what's really there. If humans did not spend 95 percent of their evolutionary past in tiny bands of hunter-gatherers, what were they doing all that time? If agriculture, and cities, did not mean a plunge into hierarchy and domination, then what kinds of social and economic organization did they lead to? What was really happening during the periods that we usually describe as the emergence of "the state"? The answers are often unexpected, and suggest that the course of human history may be less set in stone, and more full of playful, hopeful possibilities, than we tend to assume. The Dawn of Everything fundamentally transforms our understanding of the human past and offers a path toward imagining new forms of freedom, new ways of organizing society. This is a monumental book of formidable intellectual range, animated by curiosity, moral vision, and a faith in the power of direct action.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

Just got back from a trip to England and realized how ignorant I am of their history. For example, I vaguely know about the wives of Henry the Sixth (but it might be Henry the Eighth?) but I had no idea there was an entire civil war in the 17th century.

So, recommendations for a well written, engaging book that does a survey of at least 1066 through to the 20th Century? Ideally on Kindle. Thanks!

The English and their History by
Robert Tombs

Goodreads check some of the reviews, see if it's your speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Who has recommendations for books on mythical and hero stories from an anthropological perspective of over arching development? If that request makes sense