Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Millow posted:

I really like Vonnegut and Murakami and have read most of their offerings. Any other authors (and specific books) I should check out?

As a big Murakami fan I really enjoyed Banana Yoshimoto's Kitchen, a book containing two short stories about characters in Japan (they are not as intensely metaphysical as Murakami's work, but they do have a quality similar to his - especially in terms of interpersonal communication).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Got a seven hour car ride comin' up and I was hoping someone might provide a great Audiobook recommendation. I reckon the Audiobook can also be up to fourteen hours long given I've a return ride soon after. Fiction is probably the genre I am looking at, though if it's a great reading of a sci-fi/fantasy novel or a brilliant non-fiction reading, those may suffice. Historical fiction like James Clavell would be cool because I can see that being entertaining, but hell, I'll take Patrick Stewart reads Confessions of a Shopaholic if that's good too.

I have never listened to an Audiobook if that helps.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

colonelsandy posted:

Max Brooks World War Z is probably the best audiobook I've ever listened to (cast includes Mark Hamil, Henry Rollins, and Alan Alda to name a few), highly recommend it. Also Murakami's Wind Up Bird Chronicle is amazing as well.

I decided to try A Wild Sheep Chase, having read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, and I got about seven minutes into it before realizing that Audiobooks are absolute dreck. Problem solved!