Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
Please recommend me a book that is like Hard-boiled wonderland and the end of the world by Haruki Murakami. What is so appealing about it to me is that it's part sci-fi that is clearly not written by a sci-fi author, part magical realism/fantasy. I've looked through the recent 'recommend me literary sci-fi' thread, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for either. It's like what Philip K Dick would write if he was Japanese instead of schizophrenic; a great story that just happens to have sci-fi elements to it.

Don't bother recommending anything else by Murakami, I've read it all and I definitely need that sci-fi angle that (sadly) only Hard-boiled wonderland has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Recommend unto me 'philosophical' sci-fi about robots/androids. Think 'Do androids dream of electric sheep', but also some of the Animatrix shorts, the second renaissance and matriculated in particular, and Ghost in the Shell. Basically I'm looking for anything that is actually about robots/androids, rather than stories that just have them because they're sci-fi and robots are typically associated with sci-fi.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

colonelsandy posted:

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good collection of fairy tales?

The collected works of the brothers Grimm, obviously. If you're interested in more modern fairy-tale-like short stories, check out Neil Gaiman's Smoker & Mirrors or Fragile Things, and Haruki Murakami's The Elephant Vanishes.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

AberrantBassist posted:

I'm looking for a book where the main character does something destructive to his/her body to forget a painful even in his/her own life.

You need to watch Pi by Darren Aronofsky.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

But it is almost completely unrelated to the Cthulhu mythos, and is in fact the major work of the Dream Cycle. I think about the only connecting element is that Nyarlathotep shows up at the end to give the reader a taste of Lovecraft's complete inability to write dialogue.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

I'm looking for dystopias/utopias that focus on the civilization and societal aspects. 1984, Brave New World, Walden II, (and though I haven't read it, I think it fits) Atlas Shrugged. What I'm NOT looking for are post-apocalyptic dystopias like McCarthy's The Road or Aldous Huxley's Ape and Essence. Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Shab posted:

I'm looking for some science fiction that gives a believable account of an alien species. Something in the vein of The Mote in God's Eye. A first contact novel wouldn't be out the question as long as it presents an alien species and culture that I can really get interested in.

Blindsight, by Peter Watts. His aliens are alien instead of uninspired anthropomorphized wish fulfilling masturbation machines.

edit: Because they are actually alien they don't have a culture in a way that is comprehensible to us.