Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Fellwenner posted:

I'd like some recommendations for poetry. I cannot get into it, but I'd really like to be able to at some point. Every year I make this promise to myself and break it.

PYF has a PYF poem thread. I'd say just give the thread a read-through, and take not of the authors you liked and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Haruki Murakami. I've read

- Norwegian Wood
- The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
- Kafka on the Shore
- Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

What else of his should I read? I haven't loved anything since the first two, so if there's anything outstanding I've missed, tell me.

Give A Wild Sheep Chase and Dance, Dance, Dance a go (in that order, the latter's a sequel).

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I am thinking of maybe reading Infinite Jest this summer holiday. Now, I've heard it has a whole tonne of foot notes and so forth. So the question is more in the lines of whether to get a physical copy or an e-book. Is it alright to get this for my Kindle and just read foot notes when I'm done with the thing? Or do you recommend I get the physical book so I can easily jump back & forth between sections as I progress?

e: Unless Kindle has a simple way of jumping text to end note and back to the text again, in which case the question's moot.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 17, 2014

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What's a good, fairly famous book for moms? Mothers day is coming up and she's been saying she has nothing to read lately.

Asking what's "a good book for moms" is like asking what's "a good book for guys". What kind of books does she like to read, and what has she read before?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Galick posted:

So, any books centered/themed around time travel/manipulation that aren't YA trash? Probably a shot in the dark there, but hey, it's a theme I'm loving lately.

there's always HG Wells, but I guess you've read that already

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai and The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa springs to mind.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marxism

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Kaizoku posted:

A Wild Sheep Chase or Colorless Tsukuru and his Years of Pilgrimage would be very good considering the things you like about him, but honestly it's all good.

I'll second A Wild Sheep Chase, and also add The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I read Infinite Jest last winter and I'm getting the bug again for a gigantic insane novel. I realize there's probably nothing exactly like it, but when I was talking to some friends the other day I realized that Neal Stephenson (another author I like) is kind of a B-movie genre director in the same way one might compare David Foster Wallace to a great auteur like Stanley Kubrick. So like, a five page essay about some nerd's optimal way to eat Captain Crunch is great, but I'd love something that's a bit more literary but still highly readable. Does any of this make sense?

there's always In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust if you're really keen on great behemoths

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Cousin's fifteenth birthday is coming up, and he is a total petrolhead. Recs?

I googled some Henry Ford biographies for you, and this was supposed to be good

Watts, S. (2005). The People’s Tycoon: Henry Ford and the American Century. New York: A.A. Knopf

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Boner Calhoun posted:

Can anyone recommend any good novels over 1000 pages long?

War and Peace and In Search of Lost Time maybe

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

sophie's world is, no joke, considered a good starting point for someone completely new to philosophy, or so I've heard.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

I'm having kind of a hard time articulating the type of book I'm looking for.

Basically if you are familiar with the depressive-suicidal black metal genre of music, something like that in a book.

Depression, suicide, self-destruction, grief, loss, mental illness- in a narrative/story. Not like a "I went to a mental hospital and this is my experience" type thing...more of a work of fiction. An exploration of themes I listed before in a narrative/novel. I'm not even sure if something like this exists.

No Longer Human, The Book of Disquiet, The Clown, Hunger, arguably Confessions of a Mask

edit: Doctor Glas, too

ulvir fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 23, 2015

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

crossposting from the real lit thread. I swear I didn't leave out syrian kurdistan on purpose.

ulvir posted:

anyone got any reqs for kurdish literature (novels or poetry)? whether it's from the diaspora or from within turkish, iraqi or iranian kurdistan doesn't matter

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ulvir posted:

crossposting from the real lit thread. I swear I didn't leave out syrian kurdistan on purpose.

ulvir posted:

anyone got any reqs for kurdish literature (novels or poetry)? whether it's from the diaspora or from within turkish, iraqi or iranian kurdistan doesn't matter

I really hope I don't have to take this request to goddamn 4chan or something

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I've got that one lying about on my kindle actually. I might just have to dive into that one after voices from chernobyl

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

another good source of free ebooks is uni of adelaide:

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

all y'all anime lovers better check out osamu dazai. no longer human is pretty good and also depressing

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

by ruling out translations you've already excluded some pretty good novels right off the bat.

edit: but The Comfort of Strangers by Ian McEwan might fit the bill.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 22, 2016

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

The Old Man and the Sea I think, warming up to read The Sun Also Rises.

For sale: Baby shoes, never worn

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

no longer human, plus some of Thomas Mann's short stories

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

BotM suggestions for next month?

I already suggested orhan pamuk, m8

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I need titles of specific recommended works and/ or at least a sentence saying why a given rec is a good pic.

A strangeness in my mind. It's a pretty good novel that details the life of a poor street salesman in the suburbs of Istanbul and how he copes with changes not only in Turkish society but also changes to the city itself. the narrative structure is also interesting in the way pamuk gives his side characters a real voice.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Burning Rain posted:

Try Fear and Trembling (do not Kierkegaard's book by accident)

please do read Kierkegaard cause it's good

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any recommendations for fictional non-fiction books? Two examples are Motel of the Mysteries and The Atlas of Remote Islands.

Maybe Never any end to Paris fits the bill?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

oh, yeah. The Borges collection Labyrinths also has a bunch of stories that are narrated and framed as if they're about real languages and places and so on.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

my favourite essay is the one where Derrida discusses the shame (and the shame of being ashamed) of being naked in front of his cat

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

uncle blog posted:

I'm looking for books with protagonists who have alternative world views. Examples are books like Fight Club and American Psycho. People who strongly believe in something different and could be considered inspiring (by some people at least). Preferably people who are successful in whatever their goal is. I'm really fascinated by stuff like that.

Satantango

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Carl Sagan's Cosmos and Pale Blue Dot are p deece

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

try searching around on that standford plato site, they might have something. though I would assume a lot of it'll be philosophy of religion and the like.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

Two recommendations please. I've read House of Leaves a few times and I want another book to replicate that experience. What's the best meta-narrative book? I think Nabokov has one that's supposed to be pretty good, right? And I remember hearing about a book called If On A Winter's Night A Traveller. I know these are both supposed to be meta-fiction but not sure how highly they are recommended.

Secondly, a horror novel in the same meta-fictional vein. If there's nothing close, then just a good horror novel along the lines of the main Navidson Record portion of House of Leaves.

Thanks!

pale fire and if on a winter's night a traveller are both good. I also recommend flight of Icarus by Raymond Queneau

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

you can't silence us

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

A human heart posted:

What a weird way to think about a book.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ugh,, just ugh, at the very hungry caterpillar. ugly duckling cliche much?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

no longer human by osamu dazai

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I read a synopsis and it sounds super bad

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

(I may have asked about this previously somewhere but gently caress me if I can remember where and what the results were). This is pretty broad in that I'm also interested in other sorts of media besides books but there's something I want more of: literary shenanigans. I mean both works that are deceiving or attempting to deceive the reader/audience*, and also works about works meant to deceive the reader/audience in some way. Doesn't really matter if it's fiction or not.

Flight of Icarus by Raymond Queneau.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

tuyop posted:

That book is like 50% interesting fantasy plot and 50% bending over backwards to represent as many oppressed groups as possible and gender flip in ~important~ ways. It rubbed me like tokenism and I felt vaguely offended by the whole thing.

if a post could have a massive neckbeard this would be it

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Meldonox posted:

Can someone recommend me some good downers? I'm looking for something bleak and lonely, preferably in an everyday modern setting.

if you can accept that neither are really that modern:
The Clown by Heinrich Böll, No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai, Contempt by Moravia, The Class by Hermann Ungar

if you want funny and bleak at the same time, try Satantango or just about anything Thomas Bernhard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

Is there a similar recommendation for Scandinavian folklore? Aside from the Eddas and the Danish merelover

here’s some from Norway, with lots of recommendations for further reading

ulvir fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 3, 2019