Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

I'm looking for some recommendations for good non fiction titles, preferably history. I know it's a broad topic, but I want to learn about pretty much anything. I just got done reading Confessions of an Economic Hitman, and it opened my mind towards lot of things. I've posted a general list below, but if you think I should read about a certain topic, or learn more about something, please go ahead and recommend it. I'd like the best of the best titles.

The Revolutionary War
The Civil War
World War II
Vietnam
The Cold War
Economics
Panama
Oil
Prison/Gangs
The Middle East
CIA/other government agencies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

I'm having a hard time finding books that suck me in. I'm a very picky reader and spend hours in Barnes and Noble trying to find something that interests me. So I'm going to post some books that I loved, and hopefully you guys can help me out.

Catch Me If You Can by Frank Abagnale
Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins
A Stir of Echos by Richard Matheson
House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

I also love reading about how hosed up humanity is. Whether it be about government, conspiracies, mans inhumanity against man, genocide, or murder/mystery. Pretty much anything that would having me hating people and wishing I could change the world when I'm done reading it.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Funyon posted:

I'm having a hard time finding books that suck me in. I'm a very picky reader and spend hours in Barnes and Noble trying to find something that interests me. So I'm going to post some books that I loved, and hopefully you guys can help me out.

Catch Me If You Can by Frank Abagnale
Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins
A Stir of Echos by Richard Matheson
House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

I also love reading about how hosed up humanity is. Whether it be about government, conspiracies, mans inhumanity against man, genocide, or murder/mystery. Pretty much anything that would having me hating people and wishing I could change the world when I'm done reading it.

Anyone? I feel neglected. :(

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Could anyone recommend some good books by Stephen Leather? I finished reading Nightfall not too long ago and I loved it. I know the book has a sequel, which I plan on reading. But I also see that he has a poo poo ton of other series/novels. Any worth checking out?

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

I can't believe I'm asking this but can anyone recommend any good self help books? 2011 sucked balls for me (father died, bad break up) and I really need to get my poo poo in order.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

I'm dumb when it comes to politics. I have opinions of course, but ask me to back them up with facts and I'm dead in the water.

Could anyone recommend any books on the current political climate in America? Or any informative book about politics that would make me less of a retard? I'm not really sure what to ask for, since I'm, as I said, completely dumbfounded when it comes to politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

I'm looking for a book about the history of communism. I can't say that I know too much about it. I'd also like something about what living in a modern communist country is like, as well as something about living in Stalin's Soviet Union.