Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

delicious beef posted:

Two entirely unconnected requests:

1. Can anybody recommend me well-written post-apocalyptic themed stuff. I'm talking about stuff similar to The Road or I am Legend. Not so much interested in Sci-fi explanations of whatever the event is, but about people surviving in the aftermath. I really loved The Road, so something like that would be wonderful.

Riddley Walker! It's a personal favorite of mine, written in deconstructed English after a nuclear war has rocked all civilization (at least England) back to the middle ages. Riddley, the main character, is a young man who is the new story teller in his village, basically the person in charge of the oral history and mythology. Something happens that leads to Riddley coming into possession of something that the local governor wants, and Riddley has to hide, along with the secret, from the people who are pursuing him.

It is not an easy book to read, the language it's written in is very hard to understand at first (take a look at the first few pages on Amazon; it took me about 50 pages to get comfortable with it, and honestly if I hadn't had to read it for a class I would have given up), but the story is a wonderful meditation on the role of humanity and our pursuit of technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I'm looking for any books similar to Herman Hesse's Siddhartha, any leads?

I read that in the same class I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, so that might be worth looking into. Less Buddhism, more philosophy in general, but still very interesting philosophy being presented.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Barracuda Bang! posted:

So, I'm thinking that I'd really like Hemingway, but I'm afraid of picking the wrong one to start and not getting hooked. What's the best first Hemingway book for a soon-to-be college graduate who loves to travel?

My favorite is The Sun Also Rises, and I'd guess it's what you're looking for. My high school was fairly big on Hemingway, and this was the last piece of his that we read and the first one I really out and out LOVED. At some point I plan on going back and reading more of his, but I think it's a good place to start for someone new to him.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find it--what's a good starting point for Murakami? I'm leaning towards Hard-Boiled Wonderland, but Wind Up Bird Chronicles and Kafka on the Shore sound good too.