Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Can any one give me some good mind numbing/or not urban fantasy/paranormal romance since they seem to be just about the same thing these days? I've read the Sookie Stackhouse books, Kim Harrison's books, and quite a few others. What is at least an entertaining read, please help me book barn, your my only hope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

King Plum the Nth posted:

Not my native genre but I asked an expert in the field. Apologies if some of these are repeats. Here's the list:

Patricia Briggs - Mercedes Thompson series (first book: Moon Called)

Rachel Caine - Weather Warden (first book: Ill Wind) and Morganville Vampires series (first book: Glass Houses) [Actually, I did read the first one in this series and it was a lot of fun - KPtN]

Carrie Vaughn - Kitty Norville Series (first book: Kitty and the Midnight Hour)

Tanya Huff - Vicki Nelson Series (first book: The Blood Prince) and Summon the Keeper

Laurell K. Hamilton - Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series (first book: Guilty Pleasures)

Emma Bull - War for the Oaks: A Novel

Maria V. Snyder - Study Series (first book: Poison Study)

Jacqueline Carey - Kushiel series (first book: Kushiel's Dart)

Juliet Marillier - The Sevenwaters Trilogy (first book: Daughter of the Forest)

Cecilia Dart-Thornton - The Bitterbynde series (first book: The Ill-Made Mute)

Elizabeth Haydon - The Symphony of Ages series (first book: Rhapsody: Child of Blood)

Patricia Briggs - Mercedes Thompson series (first book: Moon Called)
Have read these books and they were entertaining.

Rachel Caine - Weather Warden (first book: Ill Wind) and Morganville Vampires series (first book: Glass Houses) [Actually, I did read the first one in this series and it was a lot of fun - KPtN]
The Weather Warden series was great I started and finished every book in it last week. The Morganville Vampire series is teen lit and ~200 pages for 7-8 bucks is a bit hard for me to see it worth it I'm going to check have price books for them.

Carrie Vaughn - Kitty Norville Series (first book: Kitty and the Midnight Hour)
The kitty Norville series is a lot of fun.

Jacqueline Carey - Kushiel series (first book: Kushiel's Dart)
I haven't read the Kushiel books but Saint Olivia was a great read.

Laurell K. Hamilton - Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series (first book: Guilty Pleasures)
I hear scary things about this series and how the main character goes and becomes a whore for anything supernatural and gets really creepy.

I'll look into the other series though thank you.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

freebooter posted:

Took the words out of my mouth, except I was going to add "but it sucks."

Can anyone recommend me some fantasy where people cross from our world into the fantasy world? Obvious choices are the Narnia and His Dark Materials series, and I've also read Joel Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame and have Stephen King's Dark Tower series on my TBR pile. Anything else?

Neil Gaiman's books in general, Neverwhere (really fun read), Stardust (another fun read), and American God's fit this. A lot of urban fantasy would also hit that but instead of going from real world to fantasy world its more like learning the real world as they know it is not all their is.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I just finished Blood Song Raven's Shadow Awesome book 1. I heard about it here comparing to The Way of Kings and The Name of The Wind two other books I like. What else is close to as good as it is?

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Ethereal Duck posted:

You might like The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. I also highly recommend everything by Joe Abercrombie, starting with The Blade Itself. Other options are The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett or I suppose Brent Weeks' books, though his Night Angel series really grates on me personally.

I have read The Lies of Locke lamora, the Night Angel books and the colormagic thing, and the Warded man and Desert Spear by Peter Brett, I need to try and retry to read the Joe Abercrombie stuff.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Ethereal Duck posted:

I recently read the Riyria Revelations, maybe you'll like that. It was hardly innovative but it was a fun read.

I have already read that also. I happen to read a wee bit. I guessed how that would end and was still happy.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Merchant Prince series by Charles Stross. It has class politics, industrialization and magic world travel.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

EGSunBro posted:

So I'm part of a holiday book exchange thing for my lit. class. We did it Secret Santa style, and the i have no clue what to give to the girl I drew.

According to the info sheet we had to fill out, she likes comedy romances starring female leads, giving examples such as Twilight and anything by Nicholas Sparks. No sci-fi or non-fiction allowed. So basically, what is a comedy light romance novel for teens that's obscure enough not to have been read by somebody like that, but notable enough to be found in a public library?

Give her Ghost by John Ringo and I can't even finish what I was writing. For her is boning ok for the book or not ok?

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Give me some suggestions for books that are unlike anything I've read before. I mean something like Flame Alphabet, City of Saints and Madmen or something.

House of Leaves.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Lex Talionis posted:

No.

Next question?

Seriously, though, big human-shaped robots are the peculiar obsession of the Japanese. I don't know of any original English fiction involving them, though if there is I'm sure someone here will know. Heinlein's Starship Troopers and John Steakley's Armor are good novels involving power armor but that's not really the same thing.

Your best bet is probably to look through Haikasoru's inventory. They translate Japanese SF novels into English. I can't recommend from experience but I've heard good things about All You Need is Kill.
John Steakley's Armor READ IT NOW so good even if dated. It is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Walh Hara posted:

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?

Phillip K Dick might have written other books about that topic but I'm not familiar enough with his other works.

Charles Stross? Like a guy spreads his consciousness into a swarm of pigeons.