Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I'm looking for conspiracy theory books that don't waft the odor of "crackpot".

I'm not into the 9/11 truth movement-- I've heard all of their arguments.

I started Jessie Ventura's American Conspiracies, and learning about the conspiracy of the Wall Street coup of FDR was fascinating.

Things like Northwood, and MK Ultra fascinate me. Anything regarding the military and the men in black as well.

Given these parameters, does anyone have some recommendations?

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

bobkatt013 posted:

Anything by Richard Belzer

I can only find one conspiracy theory book of his, the rest are novels, but thanks for the recommendation!

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Does anyone know of any good short stories or novels that have ghost/horror/supernatural themes? I'm not big on King, but I've read his work. I enjoyed his son's short story collection, though. I want something interesting and unsettling.

I grabbed an anthology called "Poe's Children", so we'll see how that goes.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
What are some quality books that have unreliable narrators? Possibly (but not necessarily) ones with narrators who are unreliable because of psychiatric issues like delusions?

If there is a twist involved, please try not to spoil it.

Please, nothing from Palahniuk.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Keep the recommendations coming, guys :)

I really appreciate them. I actually have Pale Fire from the library, just haven't gotten around to reading it because I also have Pale King from the library. (just now realized I checked out two books with Pale in the title)

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
This is going to sound lame but I would like a book that tickles my ocean phobia. You know, something about deep seas with giant monsters.

The Odyssey, Moby Dick, Jaws, The Abyss, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea... I've already read. As you can see the level of the text can be low or it can be very high, I just want me some drat sea monsters. And yes, whales are scary as hell to me.

Like, I legitimately scare the hell out of myself playing that Endless Ocean game, if that gives you any perspective. The massive frontier of darkness surrounding me with enormous creatures. I've just been browsing lately and can't find anything. I need something light to flip through while I tackle Don Quixote.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Thanks! And thanks for not laughing at me, too :3:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Let's direct all Burroughs discussion here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505231

I'm going to sleep for the night, but I have a few more things to post in there, but I figured I'd start you guys off.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Can someone recommend some non-fiction that explores well, economic anthropology, economic psychology, or neuroeconomics (yes, it's a real thing).

I'm not interested in the basic stuff, either. A few articles I've read have really gotten me interested in the topic(s) from a personal research standpoint.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I want a philosophical Western that also has some violence.

I read Blood Meridian and All The Pretty Horses, so no more Cormac but something similar would be great, or like Deadwood

Feel free to mock me but give me a good recommendation too, I know nothing about westerns

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
what's up with this novel Tampa by Alissa Nutting? can somebody give me some trigger warnings on that? I am curious but a little hesitant after reading the synopsis. Is it horror?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Explicit descriptions of a teacher sexually abusing her students and fantasizing about abusing her very underaged students, if I can judge from the first dozen pages or so. Imagine something like Lolita but told realistically and with poo poo prose. It’s not horror in the genre of fiction sense, but it sure felt horrible to me before I gave up.

gently caress that. The only reason Lolita is tolerable is because the act is never actually described on page, it's all off page and implied. Hard pass then.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Looking for a book that gives me this vibe

join us reading Suttree in the book of the month thread!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
North American Lake Monsters is a must read. Probably among the first horror books I would recommend to anyone who wants to explore beyond King and Koontz. It is utterly brilliant.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
are there any well-written books, say memoirs of people being incarcerated?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
The more modern the better. I want to know about 21st century jails.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Butcher's Crossing by John Williams. In the 1870s, inspired by Emersonian poetry, a Harvard student travels to the frontier to find himself.

Extremely slow burn, but beautiful prose. My first John Williams but it won't be my last.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Two requests:

A good Pratchett audiobook that will serve as an entrypoint into his other works. I've heard mixed things about the audio versions.

Also, any books that discuss LGBT treatment in modern prisons. I am wrapping up an Oral History of Riker's, but that only has a single chapter focusing on LGBT issues.

MockingQuantum posted:

I read Blood Meridian about a month back and I'm looking for some other books like it as a result. I don't need anything nearly as bleak or intense as Meridian (or really want anything that intense for a bit, lol), mostly looking for westerns that don't really idealize or mythologize the American west, or at least play with some of the standard themes in interesting ways.

Butcher's Crossing by John Miller is a hell of a read. And it scratched my Cormac itch. If you want something a little more "fun" that is also well-written, try The Thicket by Joe R. Lansdale.

Rand Brittain posted:

Can anybody recommend good sources for Arthurian stuff? I'm particularly interested in stuff that didn't make it into the canon that most people remember today, like Galehaut and the members of the Round Table who were sorcerers or werewolves or other crazy poo poo like that.

The Once and Future King is pretty great if you haven't read it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'm really trying to get my dad to read books. He's nearing retirement and needs something to do. One of the few books he's read in recent years was non-fiction about a sailing race around the antarctic circle. So, something like that, nautical adventure books are what I'm looking for. Probably gotta be non-fiction, but maybe a novel if it's really good.

Sounds like he might be into Nathanial Philbrick's nonfiction

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Want a novel or short story with a significant portion of it taking place in a modern prison. I read American Rust recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

regulargonzalez posted:

Are there any first hand accounts of the experience of dementia?
The final chapter of David Milch's memoir Life's Work

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Kvlt! posted:

any recs for stuff McCarthy-esque westerns or neo-western books like Blood Meridian and the Border Trilogy except with punctuation?

The Son by Philip Meyer
Only Killers and Thieves by Paul Howarth
Joe Lansdale The Thicket
All God's Children by Aaron Gwyn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I need something short to medium length that will grab me and keep me interested. I have DNFed 6 books in the past few weeks and I am in a rut. Bonus points if it's available on Libby in audio form without needing a hold. Actually, that's mandatory because of my neck injury.