Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Rubicon by Tom Holland is a great pre-Augustine book. It focuses primarily on the late-Republic, with some crossover into Octavian's time. It's not overly academic or anything, and it's not too stupid either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Haha, that's awesome.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I finished up Ancestor's Tale by Dawkins a couple weeks ago. What are some other awesome evolution books? Preferably not too hardcore (I'd say Extended Phenotype was a bit too over my head when I gave it a shot years ago).

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I like basically all of Murakami's stuff. But the problem is I've almost read it all. Anything similar?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

I consider Murakami, Gabriel García Márquez, and Jose Saramago to be the "big 3" of magical realism, so either of those two would be good choices. Saramago's best imo is Blindness, but most all of his work is good. I've only read One Hundred Years of Solitude by Márquez but it's excellent.

e: alternatively, much of Kurt Vonnegut's work might fit though I consider him a bit lighter weight, at least in his prose style, than the previous bunch. Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse 5, and The Sirens of Titan are likely choices.

I really enjoyed Blindness and I've read most of Vonnegut; never read 100 years though and I've always meant to, looks like that'll be up next.

Qwo posted:

John Fowles (The Magus) is essentially a superior Murakami and Takashi Hiraide's (The Guest Cat) writing sounds a lot like Murakami's.

Never heard of either of those, will toss them on my used book shop shop list.

Enfys posted:

As far as authors similar to Murakami, there are several of the big magical realists I would check out: Salman Rushdie, Isabelle Allende (especially The House of the Spirits), Jorge Luis Borges, maybe Laura Esquivel's Like Water for Chocolate.

For Rushdie should I just read Satanic Verses? Or is there a "better" book? And Borges rocks, one of my favorites.

No Longer Flaky posted:

I think you'd like "How to survive a science fictional universe" by Charles Yu. It's really good even though the title makes it sound stupid and formulaic.

It does sound dumb! But I'll check it out for sure.

lumbergill posted:

To add to all the great suggestions (read 100 Years of Solitude! It is superb), I find Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita has a similar feel to what you're after, and is also one of my favorite books ever. Magical realism meets political satire in Soviet Russia.

Okay definitely reading 100 years next.

bowser posted:

(I'm reading A Confederacy of Dunces now and really enjoying the absurdist elements)

I'm reading that one now too, it's got some serious ha has. You aren't in the echo park book club are you? I'm reading it for the aforementioned club.