Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Light from Uncommon Stars has that as a big theme. It's definitely a very scifi/magical realism book, so I really enjoyed it, but it's not a grounded and realistic thing if that's what you're after.

Selachian posted:

Catherynne M. Valente's Space Opera comes to mind.

These are the two that spring to mind, but yeah, not grounded and realistic for either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IBroughttheFunk posted:

This is a pretty broad request - I've been in a bit of reading rut and have been trying to get back in through historical fiction, one of my favorite genres. Anyone have any favorite titles they'd like to recommend? I particularly enjoy works that take place outside the US and Europe (Pachinko, The island of Sea Women, and Amitav Ghosh's entire Ibis trilogy are particular favorites of mine). But definitely not opposed to solid works set there (I've enjoyed nearly everything I've read from James Mcbride, Louis Erdrich, and Carlos Ruiz Zafón).

Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond books are beauties, starting with Game of Kings.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

WARRIOR CATS

Yeah my 9yo is nearly done inhaling the literal dozens of these.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Really Big Numbers and Gallery of the Infinite are awesome.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Most Dickens scholars agree that not only is The Muppet Christmas Carol the best adaptation of Dickens' work, it's actually a bit better than the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULaNvmjZWxg

Citation needed (because I would absolutely read an article by a real Dickens scholar discussing that movie)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I have no source, I just assumed

Yeah I figured, it would just be fabulous to read!