Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

timeandtide posted:

I'm interested in non-fiction books about nuclear weapons in a few areas: 1) history, 2) the sociological/cultural effects on Japan post-war or the world at large, and 3) any sort of philosophical books about the topic. Also, any Internet sites, online articles, etc. are fine too if you have a good one to recommend.

I am interested in a similar topic, but moreso on the Nuclear Energy side of things. How the reactors work on a technical level (but not TOO textbookish) and maybe some good stories that can give the layman a good understanding of what happens inside a Nuclear Plant. I've read the howstuffworks articles on Nuclear Energy and Nuclear Radiation but still trying to get a sense of what the hell Nuclear reactions are on a practical level. For example, a book that explains the nuclear reaction and how/why it does not become a chain reaction that completely destroys the world. Hoping to find a regarded authority on the topic that isn't heady and overly scientific.

In a NON-related topic. I am looking to read some on Confucius. Is there a good book that would be a great place to start? I'm looking to understand his teachings and maybe a book that has a good author who gives good scenarios and interpretations of them.

Thanks much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Just finished watching Frost/Nixon and realized I am grossly unfamiliar with the events that took place leading up to and during the Watergate scandal. I'm sure there is a LOT of books on the topic but is there one or two that stand out as the authority on the topic?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm looking for some good books that tackle Union Negotiations. Historical stories of successful or failed ones, business-school primers on the topic, fiction, etc. Anything that can help me get more situational awareness on the topic. My end goal is to help provide some strategic insight into my company COOs approach to his Union strategy.

I know this is likely a tough request, but if a goon can't fill it, no one can! Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Archibald Cox posted:

Instead, how about you don't participate in union-busting?

Who said that is what i'm doing? The strategy my COO wants to drive is one where the union agrees to more productive-oriented incentives instead of entitled. In turn we will give them MORE rather than less 'for-sure' incentives. The company needs it to grow and it's counter to typical Union desires.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Aero737 posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for some sort of a survival novel? As a kid, I loved reading Hatchet, and I've been addicted to shows like Survivor man and I love the outdoors/camping. I would love to read some fiction sort of dealing with the subject.

An extremely entertaining non-fiction read is Emergency by Neil Strauss. Essentially a journalists 'journey' to learn how to be a survivalist and his political views as to why. If you're looking for a polished survivalist though this is not the way to go, but great book nonetheless.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

KitschCraft posted:

I'm interested in books about money; fiction or non, but not how-to. Specifically, I'm looking for books about how money or the lack of money affects and influences a person's life. The book should have financial and/or class standing as a pervasive theme.

Books I've read and liked, for example: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Nickle and Dimed, The Working Poor, Random Family, No Shame in My Game on the poverty end of the spectrum, and American Psycho, Martin Amis' Money, on the affluent end. The more specific detail, the better (like the tin-can bank in Brooklyn). The book doesn't have to have much literary merit as long as it's interesting and personal.

Similarly, I'm interested in true crime where money/greed heavily influenced the criminal(s). Anything from Mob stories to crooked day-traders, to elaborate schemes to steal millions from corporations.

Confessions of an Economic Hitman, this book will change your life.
When Genius Failed <-- Fantastic blow-up of the worlds 'smartest' traders which resulted in a massive bailout that would have broken the worlds financial system if ignored

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm looking for a good book on Darwin. I'd love for one that characterizes the man as well as his research. Ideally, there would be a good amount of stories and anecdotes about his research. Not looking for a heady read, just an enjoyable one that I can learn more about the man and the study!

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hey all, was really hoping to get a recommendation for a fantastic Cyberpunk book. I've really been itching for something in this genre and haven't read any in nearly two decades. What are the definitive books/series that I must read that I can't refuse. I have tried to read Neuromancer a few times in the past but never got far into it, that is not to say that I shouldn't get it another chance, but that's not likely where I'm headed right now. Also, I'm not afraid of epic series/trilogies either.

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

DannyTanner posted:

Snow Crash?

Already read that, and loved it. I also read Anathem and found that to be very good, although extremely long.

edit: Looks like I also have to rescind my comment about not reading any for nearly two decades as I forgot about Snow Crash!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

Snowcrash is very good, and I actually prefer Gibson's Bridge trilogy to the original Sprawl trilogy, but I think I'm in a minority with that.

Dang, that does look good! You may be turning me on to revisiting Gibson now that I'm much older. Aside from Gibson and Stephenson are there any other cyberpunk staples? I fell in love with Jeff Noon and his Vurt series in my teens but was also big into (light) drugs and counter culture at the time.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ok, you've all got my brain going. I've been on a big fantasy kick the past few years and was wondering if there was any good cyberpunk/scifi series with fantasy elements which could include magic, medieval structures of rule, etc. Thinking there could be some really fun stories provided the author doesn't make them too gimmicky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks guys, appreciate the suggestions. Will check them out!