Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

JayJay posted:

Can anyone recommend a good science fiction space pew pew lazers "epic" series. Aka spanning multiple books with the same characters. I do not like when books end. :argh: What would be the science fiction equivalent to the Wheel of Time?

I couldn't let this post pass without mentioning the Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton. Although it's a trilogy, the print is really small and each volume weighs in at over 1000 pages, so it's more like about 6 "normal" sized books.

It certainly fits the bill for epic. The very first chapter in the first book is not explained until nearly the end of the second. I won't give away the main premise as that could be seen as a spoiler by some, as part of the mystery of the first book is figuring out exactly what the gently caress is going on. All I will say it is skillfully combines hard, intelligent sci-fi with elements of horror on a truly grand scale.

Also contains one of the most depraved, evil bad guys I've ever encountered in fiction: Quinn Dexter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

tentawesome posted:

I've been listening to the Archaeological Fantasies podcast recently, and I really enjoy it. I'm looking for some books that debunk poo poo like Ancient Aliens. I've got a few of the ones that have been specifically mentioned on the podcast on hold at the library, but while I'm waiting for those to get transferred I'm looking for something I can hopefully read on my Nook.

Isn't the best way to debunk Ancient Aliens to just watch it?