Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

stealie72 posted:

Just stopping by to say gently caress length and link tracks. Going to just get aftermarket for the next kit.

Link and length can be annoying, but there is no style of track worse than a bigass sprue of multi piece links that are attached via one of the surfaces that have to fit together. I hate it so much. I bought a Trumpeter kit of a Russian laser tank and check this poo poo out:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PriorMarcus posted:

Tamiya paint pots fit fine, yep. However I'd recommend using this without the ball bearings.

The ball bearings are useful if you are shaking paint by hand, but the vortex shaker shouldn't need them. Just hold the pot against it with the corner touching and it should mix fine.

Ball bearings if left too long, depending on the type of metal/paint, can actually start to break down/rust and ruin the paint.

Also, ball bearings in a glass container can make a huge goddamn mess lol.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

"No, Trumpeter, I don't believe I will."

(It's their BMP-3)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am building a couple of Andy's and Das Werks 1/16 models and all the tracks are individual parts, with 3 pieces. So like 450 pieces to cut and sand and glue. So now I am going to do a Puma and a Greyhound instead. I wish puma kits would tell you there is supposed to be a big rear end mold line on the turret. I sanded the one on my bolt action kit off.

Loool I've done stuff like that before. The sanding off detail, not the multi part links. Every time I come across the latter I either find some marginally better aftermarket option, or just do the front part of the tracks and put it on a shelf between two other things. Life is too short. More importantly, I burn out too easily.

I found a company (read: guy) that sells pre-assembled working tracks, Sector35. But it's out of stock everywhere I've looked. The guy is Ukrainian, and the internet rumor mill says he was killed in a rocket attack. :(

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

:yayclod:

edit: :yaybutt:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 23, 2024

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

That whole build is pretty sweet, but I especially love the wood grain on the ppsh.

Meanwhile, speaking of Russian equipment, I was working on the trumpeter BMP-3 I complained about before when I was struck, as I occasionally am, by how BIG modern fighting vehicles are.

Here's the work in progress with a Char B1 in the same scale. Imagine what a BMP with a 30mm auto cannon could do on the Eastern front.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

neurotech posted:

The thing I’m struggling with is how do cut clean holes for windows.

How would you do windows in an actual hut?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Charliegrs posted:

I'm working on the 1/72 Tamiya F4U. It doesn't have folding wings but if it did I would definitely do unfolded. Folded would probably be cool for an aircraft carrier diorama. Id upload some pics but the imgur uploader isn't cooperating with me right now but I'm going with a pretty worn look, like the ones that were land based on Pacific islands. Apparently that lime green color in the cockpit is a primer and the whole plane is painted with it so I did some chipping effects with that color as well as some exposed metal. Again, I wish I could post pics.

The imgur upload feature in Awful has been completely broken for a while now due to changes on imgur's end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Warmachine posted:

I think you underestimate our appetite for build logs and, more importantly, problems arising that are eerily similar to real-life Tiger problems.

Lol I was just thinking