Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
The best solution I found for a low rpm rotary tool was getting an cordless electric screwdriver and buying a chuck to mount dremel bits on it

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

https://www.skil.com/screwdriver-circuitsensor-onehandcollet-sd561201/

This plus a chuck is what I use. Tops out at 230 rpm, has lights to aid visibility and it’ll even find active circuits!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

it won't be the strongest bond but tamiya's thin glue will (eventually) work its way through paint to make a bond

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

the straightforward solution is to pony up for a workable set of tracks, paint them and then slide them on over the wheels and sprockets

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

yeah the ones i got from t-rex studios for my t-55/type 59 rock, way better than the workable tracks miniart sells for their own kit lol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

you can get an organic vapor respirator as well to be double sure

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i like link and length when they give you an axle alignment tool like tamiya usually does. otherwise something ends up slightly out of whack and ruins the whole look in my experience

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I'm not much of a photographer but step one of my tank 390 diorama is now complete. onto crew figures and then the gate it'll be crashing through on 4/30/75

lot of firsts for me on this project though tbh my process was largely just following night shift's t29 videos lol. clutch material in this was tissue paper which made the (hard to see) torn mantlet cover and after a dozen attempts an acceptable NLFSV flag

e: and i just noticed i forgot to put the clear lens in the headlamp lol

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 9, 2024

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

the tamiya 1/350 fletcher is nice, I liked it better than the trumpeter kit

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

ohh she even had the innate sense to get the KT with the good turret

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Lord Ludikrous posted:

She got a bit confused and overwhelmed by the sheer amount of M4 variants that were on the shelves apparently, so she decided to be on the safe side and just stick with the M4 original.

I’ve assured her that when it comes to Shermans there’s no such thing as “the wrong one”. I never expected to hear my other half ask me “what the hell is an Easy Eight?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CZWKr8_8C4

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i have the opposite problem of charging in ahead, not liking how it turns out, and then redoing it until i need to rebuy the kit from the damage i've done

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Thanks to the goon who several pages ago recommended I build a Tamiya Fletcher as my first 1/350 ship. I have finished the build, not just have to add paint. I'll probably get out the airbrush next week. In the meantime, time to figure out which ship to build next!

looks great. one thing i love about the tamiya kit is that they put the rubber gimmicks they use to make tank tracks rotate freely into the fletcher's turrets so you can spin them around. the trumpeter kit has you glue them in place

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I just use a needle that I cut the eye of in half to make a Y shape to hold the glue

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

my type 59, tank 390 project is finally complete. and by complete coincidence* i finished it on the anniversary of the fall of saigon.

album with the rest of my photos here:
https://imgur.com/a/apUpqZE

e: album of some of the reference photos i used
https://imgur.com/a/wW0lgWq

*this would have been finished months ago if i didn't decide i needed to paint each part of the project 3 or 4 times until i got sick of it

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 30, 2024

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

It needs a bunch of people complaining that the Type 59 is pay to win bullshit.

wait for my next project :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

miniart type 59 with trumpeter soviet tank figures. I used a vinyl cutter to do the styrene patterns for the gatework rather than pay $200 for the lasercut set someone in vietnam is selling lol