Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Coming across my first kit with abs parts that will be painted rather than just internal structure pieces. Anything I should know about working with it? I want to paint them and they're body parts so they'll be clipped together and I'd like to do the usual stuff, i.e. glue/cement it together then erase the seams. I saw some posts about lacquer eating abs before? Are enamels okay? They'll also be connected with regular styrene parts, can I cement them together?

edit: looks like i can go get a tube of abs specific cement, or just dab a tiny bit of acetone... hm

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sprue goo, is there any commercial product that's faster drying? I've got a nice batch of acetone / ps diy mix which has great qualities but the big drawback to it is it can take days to a week to completely solidfy particularly for big patches. I've also tried ps/extra thin cement which gave a way runnier material. Dries faster but only because I cant really make thick patches with it.

I'm using it to rebuild and support a major joint in a model so it has to be thick.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Friend posted:

Yeah I can put some in an envelope. Spent the day perfecting it so it looks way less lovely and finally has a hanging hole. There are a bunch on Etsy for RC cars too, a little bigger than technically accurate but the same model stolen from thingiverse

hell yes put them on everything. Trucks, tanks, planes, ships.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

take a nun to a jungle and she comes out a bloodthirsty heiress

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I have no idea why or how this ended up in this page. having too many tabs open probably.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looking closer at it, yeah that seems to be what they want you to do. There's no color on them just the outlines so you've got to paint them up like old animation cels used to be done.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dont throw it away, just add more thinner! Enamel can be easily reactivated even when dry, unlike acrylic which is a one way process.

The downside is you'll want a light touch when painting on previous enamel layers because the thinner base will reactivate and lift them up if you're messing about too much on it. A dabbing motion rather than strokes are more helpful here. This also goes for lacquers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Snipes are like thread nuts.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

it just means you can pack more of them onto a shelf

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ahahahah was that from the goon hi-mock contest or did the hi-mock contest extend beyond SA?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I mainly remember the one fighting for its life on a giant mech crapper

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Unkempt posted:

I was told to post M'Gundams here

So I did.

Bless you shittying Hi-Mock.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

True. There's even one that's got the head that's pretty muck a HiMock's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4mJLoSsbOI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007