Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Question, I need some 25-35mm diameter wheel/tyre combos, something like on that scout car above. I only need a couple, I'm in the UK, any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

...or even the engine grease that's going to be sealed inside the hull.

Those people scare me. There was this one article I read where a fella used 4 kits to build an artillery piece, using the most accurate bits from each kit and still ended up scratchbuilding the entire cockpit with controls, then painted & weathered it & glued the hull top on. Back of the (scratchbuilt with hand-wound springs) drivers chair was just visible through the 12mm hatch.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Just Another Lurker posted:

Nice to find a model thread by the way. :dance:

There's a general painting & modelling megathread over in Traditional Games / Discussion, borne out of a warhammer thread so it's a little less serious.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

I have that one bookmarked. The level of detail and accuracy this guy strives for is something else:

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4172

Not the one I'm thinking, but equally as bad/scary/awesome. This one had the guy making a lifesize cardboard mockup of the drivers footwell to study where scuffs & dirt would occur.

Also using 0.1mm brass sheet to make an accurate copy of the radio.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I generally agree buying a recast is a poor idea, but if someone made a model, cast 200 of them & said that's it, no more, you'll likely never see, nevermind get the opportunity to buy one. Your only chance of getting hold of one is a recast, do you just say "Ah, nevermind, no-one will ever sell their unassembled, unpainted model, I'll just think about it wishfully" or do you buy the recast, knowing the artist isn't being deprived?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I enjoy scratchbuilding, the issue likely won't come up for me.

I type this then realise I have a box of casting stuff beside my chair I intended to use to make my own armoured vehicles. Doh. I was/maybe still am going to build a French VAB in the scale I prefer, then cast a bunch. If I sell any, should I send a cheque to Renault? :ohdear: (not trolling, just a joke)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

...near impossible (for me) to scratchbuild :smith:

What is it you're after?

Not saying I could make it, just interested.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Very nice, I love the sentinel/helmet jobby.

What scale is that flying wing?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's a Golden Retriever, it just stands there waiting for the next thought to occur.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wait, can we go back to that boat? Because it's incredible.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yes, the pinhead is 'too hard', or certainly harder than the file was designed for. Is there any way you could use a grinding wheel on a dremel? I've got a set of diamond-coated files my wife had no use for, they clog very easily but go through anything. No brand unfortunately, sorry.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

lilljonas posted:

Speaking of compressors and airbrushes and stuff, I wonder if anyone has any experience from resin casting. I'm just starting out, and I often get the comment that a vacuum pump or similar can be very useful for getting out the air bubbles. The guides I find mentions putting your cast inside a painter's pressure pot, but when I look for advice on what to look for I quite naturally only find discussions between actual painters. Does anyone know about a good affordable painter's pressure pot or similar vacuum contraction that is suitable for small scale resin casting? I don't want to spring 250 bucks on something that turns out to be useless for my purpose.

I guess I'm looking for something like this: http://www.artmolds.com/product_details.cfm?product_id=220&page=0&cat_name=Studio%20Accessories

But I have no idea which ones are good or not and what price range I should go for.

A pressure pot is simply a rigid container with a vacuum pump attached. A cheap vacuum cleaner plumbed into a big plastic carver box with lid will get you started. Work on the seal, strengthen the box, switch to a real vacuum pump, good enough to lower the pressure & pull out the bubbles from the resin.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don't know how that happened.
Edit:

lilljonas posted:

How much pressure can you get through this? It sounds like a cool idea and would probably cost about as much as the makeshift vibrating table I was planning to make until I can afford a professional vacuum pot. I'm guessing I would need a one-way vent as well, and somehow attach it to the box I use? I'm just not sure how this rig would look like, since I'm far from the handyman kind of guy.

Not a lot.
Should be cheap, there's no need for a valve, just glue/silicone seal a flanged tube through the wall of the box, slightly smaller than the mouth of the vacuum cleaner, plug the vacuum into the port, switch it on, the pressure differential should keep it in place. If you can combine this with the vibrating table you can get good results.

As a bonus, when not in use it'll just be a big box with a hole in it you can store stuff in.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

A fella on my local freecycle asked for model kits recently due to breaking both legs & being bed-bound. He got so many offered he became the model kit swap go-to guy (like 500 kits), might be worth asking, mention what its for, hope for a couple generous souls?