Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm intending to make a diorama base for a model I want to build. Ideally I'd like to use foamcore, but should I put something stronger like thin wood underneath, or will two layers of foamcore be enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
A lot of people paint in assemblies. So you might build the wheelbase of a vehicle and paint all of the supension, tyres etc... then build the engine and paint that... then the crew compartment... Then glue it all together and finish off with detailing and weathering etc

This way you won't end up with unpainted parts that you can't reach with a brush but can still see. It also makes it a lot easier painting awkward areas.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
There's a chinese company called Kitech who have some fairly interesting models. Apparently they're all recasts, and of dubious quality. However, it was the only way to get a model that I wanted and would be near impossible (for me) to scratchbuild :smith:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Cakefool posted:

What is it you're after?

Not saying I could make it, just interested.

V-22 Osprey in 1/72 scale. I got the kitech one and the quality isn't that bad. There is/was an Italeri kit in that scale but it seemed to be out of production with no prospect of return. I haven't actually made it yet though - the plan was to make some kind of diorama but I only recently found suitable figures to go with it.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Shallow posted:

I ask because the 40K forum The Waaagh is mad for their original Ork tank, which I'm sure looks familiar but can't place it: http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Resin-Kit-Warhammer-40K-Ork-Tank-/250682062093?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

That looks like a cast of a scratchbuild/conversion. Turret looks like a real-world 1/35 tank turret but I can see a few GW bits and pieces in there.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

Edit-- also anyone know a place to get these MiG Productions walking tank kits for a somewhat reasonable price?

They cost 70 Euros new from the Mig store, which is about 90 dollars equivalent before shipping I think. I wouldn't expect to find them too much cheaper than that.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I believe this is relevant to our interests, gentlemen:

http://www.funlol.com/15983/Build_your_own_chopper.html

My modelmaking generally goes like this:

1] careful careful...
2] oh god I'm bleeding
3] OH GOD NOW SUPERGLUE GOT IN MY CUTS OH JESUS IT HURTS
4] girlfriend is mocking me, this is the worst hobby :smith:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Nebakenezzer posted:

Hinds are sexy as hell, good choice.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Nebakenezzer posted:

This plane is cool.

Also, with some careful lighting and photography, you could use that tabletop or whatever it is to make it look as if the plane was flying over water.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

No Pun Intended posted:

How do you usually deal with ejector pin marks? I have an airfix kit I'm working on and the backs of pieces are quite shocking when it comes to them. The worst thing is they are mostly on places which won't be obscured by construction.

You could use a small amount of some kind of putty or surfacer to hide the marks, then gently sand them flat as long as they're not across detail.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Hellbeard posted:

I ordered this:

I have no idea what I'm doing. I think I'll get a couple of 1/72 kits to practice on basic techniques of every aspect of scale modeling. Any good comprehensive guides on basic techniques?

Not sure if it's the same kit, but I have a half-assembled Merkava in a box somewhere because the one I got had metal parts for the ball and chain curtain which drove me insane when I tried to get the drat bits to actually stick on the model correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

LASER CUTTING!!!!!

HELL YES. I'd love to have an awesome urban layout for 1/285 gaming