Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Mr. Powers posted:

So, semi-related. Can I get some suggestions for lines of airbrush ready paints that don't need to be thinned? At both shops, they only had our could order paints that needed thinning and I was told here (or on a starter guide) to use pre-thinned paints to start.

I am not 100% on this but I believe that Vallejo paints come pre-thinned. Either way if you are planning to airbrush acrylic paint, it is really easy to thin. You just need to add some water or windex until you get the correct consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Lahmian medium is used to dilute paint to be used as a more transparent wash. It doesn’t work as a clear coat as all. It causes the pigment to be thinned and dry out more evenly than using water.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I'm sure you could also just pick up some Future Floor Polish and just brush it on too. It's what I use through my airbrush for a gloss coat.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Just go to a local automotive store or a store with an automotive section like Walmart and its ilk to find higher grit wet/dry sandpaper. I usually go from 400 grit up to 800 grit because it doesn’t matter too much if you are painting the kit. I’d go up to about 2000 if you want it unpainted.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I used Vallejo chipping medium recently and ran into the same problems. Luckily I was going for a totally messed up robot, so it worked, but no idea what went wrong.

I even left the medium to dry for over a week and still had cracking. When I went to do my chipping the paint would either flake off in big chunks or not at all and I’d have to scrape the paint off.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I love freaking out about every minor flaw in my model and then a day or two after finishing it up I completely forget what’s wrong with it.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Unkempt posted:

If you want something a bit different, the nicest kit I've ever made was one of Hasegawa's construction vehicles. I made one of the rollers but it looks like they're all really good quality. Fun to go hog wild with the weathering, too.

Sergio Solo did a neat build of one of those models.

https://youtu.be/C1-BwHrMVio

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
It’s not a plastic model kit but I just finished my third Studio Ghibli paper model.

And here it is with the rest of them. The others are the houses from “When Marnie Was There” and “Ponyo.”

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Here’s a link to the Kiki house.

https://www.amazon.ca/Studio-Ghibli...ay&sr=8-1-fkmr3

They are surprisingly simple to assemble. All you need is a knife, tweezers and white glue. This specific model is great due to it being covered in green flocking which can cover up any mistakes/crimes.

The only really stressful part of the assembly is that you get one short shot to get your pieces aligned correctly due to it being paper. You can’t really tear a part off and reglue it with destroying it.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

drat , now I'm second guessing the Star Destroyer, and thinking I should go with the older kit and an aftermarket lighting kit.

The kit with lighting is okay, but unexpanable if you want to light odd areas. And from what I can see, the LED's are white, which doesn't really match the amber/yellow lights seen in the original SW. Plus it doesn't have any red LED's for the few red lights on the studio model. If I go with the aftermarket lighting kit, I can tint the end of a fiber bundle with clear paint to whatever I need.

Green Strawberry makes a very nice aftermarket kit, as well as some PE detail kits as well. Think I'll go this route.

You could go the Plasmo route and diy the lighting kit yourself.

https://youtu.be/x9A9FaT1wsE

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

How do I do a whitewash effect on a tank that looks like whitewash, and not just loving up a white paint job?

This guy does great work.

https://youtu.be/S2ewAO1OFD0

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
If you are trying to copy some small pieces this might be a good technique:

https://youtu.be/mVZLXLaidjQ

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Looks fantastic. I really want to dip my toes into an armor model, my tastes have outgrown Japanese robots that brought me into the hobby.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Slugworth posted:

A paint marker might be a good way to go. Maybe it'll help to just explain what I'm doing:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/stompie-the-mandela-way-t-34-tank

I'd like to replicate it as closely as possible, and I can't imagine I'm gonna be able to mask it properly with my very limited masking experience. Tape seems like it would be a nightmare, and I've never used masking putty. If this strikes people as a do-able first puttying project though, I'm open to the idea.

Also, I know a few people have been talking about doing t-34s - Group build idea, everyone does a different Stompie paint job.

You can easily use silly-putty or poster tack as masking putty, it’s especially good for making more organic, rounded looking camo.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Arrgh. I’ve been trying to spray some metallic paint through my airbrush the past two nights and it keeps clogging instantly. I’ve been using VMC paint, but I may have to try my bottle of VMA instead tonight since it’s better formulated for airbrush use. I really don’t remember having such issues before though.

I ran my airbrush through a long cycle in my ultrasonic cleaner, I hope that fixes the problem partially.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Quick mini-review. Right off the bat, this is an AK Interactive product. Like many overzealous euro-hobby companies, they seem to have permanent foot/product-in-mouth disease. While this book is completely inoffensive, some may want to shy away from companies that have made dumbass business moves or released some tasteless products from time to time.

Moving on... I've been a big fan of all of AK Interactives FAQ books, which up to now have dealt with painting techniques for Armor and Air. Now they have a new book out, FAQ - Figure Painting Techniques, by Kiril Kanaev. This mainly deals with the painting of busts and larger 1/35 and 1/16 scale figs, but the techniques are still of use to those that have figures in their vehicle diorama. This new book is a huge tome of amazing tips and techniques for figure painting. I hadn't heard of Kiril Kanaev before this, but evidently by the work on display he's a master. Everything from the products to use, to the different styles and techniques to pull off amazing paint-jobs. Definitely worth a buy for those with deep pockets.

https://ak-interactive.com/product/figures-f-a-q-figure-painting-techniques-the-complete-guide-for-figure-scale-modelers/

I just ordered the big expensive book because I really want to get into figure painting and I can’t keep track of all the video tutorials I have watched on YouTube. I’m excited to get my hands on it!

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
That kit looks like a great start if anyone wanted to do a cool kitbash.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I forgot to post pictures of my latest project that I finished back in January. It is my first 3D printed project with a resin printer and I painted up a Wingman from Apex Legends for my brother-in-law as a housewarming gift.

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-apex-legends-wingman-86407

Adding real screws for details really makes the model appear much more realistic.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I’ve completely abandoned my fdm printer since I got my resin one. The higher detail and much easier and less post-processing (sanding layer lines) vastly makes up the slightly higher cost of material. I much prefer 30 minutes to an hour sanding and touch-up of resin versus 20 hours of sanding pla plastic.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Booyah- posted:

Very cool! What's the painting process on this like? I have a 3d printed warhammer prop that I want to paint up but don't know how to get started on something like that. I'm sure having an airbrush will help at least

I primed with with some automotive filler primer just to fill any layer lines I missed during cleanup. After that I painted it all with acrylic paint through my airbrush.

The 3D model was broken up into to component parts so I barely had to do any masking at all.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Those tarps turned out fantastically! Great work!

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I loved Sergio Solo’s videos but he stopped uploading a couple of years ago.

https://youtube.com/c/SergioSolo

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Vorenus posted:

I haven't gotten to use it yet, but I built a very crude PE part bender. I'm hoping what it lacks in artistry it makes up for in function.

I also had a fun time painting the road wheels for my tank. Did them in Tamiya NATO Green after a long day at work, let them dry overnight. I was very confused, because I'm holding these next to pure black and I can barely see a hint of green. My strained eyes flick away to rest upon the bottle sitting on my bench: Tamiya XF-61....Dark Green. NATO...Dark. The letters are similar enough it's understandable, right?

I’ve always wanted to build my own PE bender since I saw Plasmo make one on YouTube a year or two ago.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Depending on the model or part I like to pin it some how if needed and then stick the piece on top of a pill bottle with some blue tack.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Night Shift uses a really simple technique of a light zenithal highlight over the figure and then some thin glaze layers of paint that looks to be really effective.

https://youtu.be/kMRYdTTYyBU

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I finished building one of those cute book nook dioramas I keep seeing on Ali Express. It is without a doubt the absolutely most difficult modelling project I have done. I’m much more used to just painting some plastic pieces and putting them together; much more difficult when it’s itty bitty little paper objects with extremely tight tolerances. The instructions were definitely lacking in some extremely important areas such as basically having to carefully disassemble the entire structure when I realized that I glued a side and the back panel in the wrong orientation as to which end butts into the other. It is absolutely adorable though!

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKRs7Ow

Old Swerdlow fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 1, 2024

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Having built a book nook diorama kit I greatly understand the effort required in putting these cute little kits together! Fantastic work!

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Finally decided to paint my latest project after sitting half finished on my work bench for almost a year. The model files come from here: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/pokeball-origin

I’ve got some Pokémon models printed to put inside the pokeballs but I haven’t painted them yet.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Warmachine posted:

The classic Fat Pikachu takes me back 20 years.

I’m lucky that my wife has saved a lot of toys from her childhood. It has a hole on the bottom so you can put it on top of a pencil!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should paint a little lightning bolt on the Pikachu's pokeball. :allears:

If I remember correctly there is a file for that one!