Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

First time poster here, randomly decided to buy a model recently and have been amazed by the stuff in this thread. I've been slowly putting my Revell 1980 Jeep Honcho Ice Patrol together over the last few weeks; all I have is a bottle of Tamiya extra thin cement, a 16-pack of vallejo colors, and a pack of Martha Stewart paintbrushes that have been lying around for years (not looking to dump a bunch of money into this new hobby just yet). I got this model because it was the cheapest I could find and it came with a snowmobile that I figured I could put together first as a practice run (thank goodness I did :pwn:).

The truck has been looking pretty bland (not great lines, my blue is flat so it just looks like a toy, etc) but today I finally started doing some detail painting and mixed some baking powder with a yellow ochre/brown mixture to add some rust/mud and it was the most fun I've had working on this thing so far. Still looks worse than whatever that kid probably posted on facebook but it was a blast! (Also I'm just now realizing I probably should've waited to do this once the decals were on...)

I've hosed up a lot along the way (gluing before painting and having poo poo accuracy with my brush are the main two) and I'm at the point where its all little fiddly bits and pieces like side mirrors, so before I gently caress up any more, are there any other hot tips you would give someone new to the hobby? I watched that ironman video from a page or two back where the guy weathered the road by dripping colors and smearing with a paper towel and that was the first time it clicked that I could do something like that without an airbrush. It seems like there are probably a billion little lifehacks but all I've really found are the baking soda thing, using a pencil to make nice lines in like the door creases, and something about salt that I'm already past the point of trying. Also anything on doing a wash with the acrylic paints I have because I've read it needs thinner, no just water, actually a drop of soap too, actually you want soapy water on the model and then soapy watery paint...

I appreciate any advice or resources! I'll try to post the final product once I'm done (but not the snowmobile... yikes.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Here's the truck in progress. The frame isn't attached to the body yet, and just ignore the bed, I'm going to try to experiment with the "paint rust then paint blue then sand lightly" trick. Also a lot of the rust/mud needs cleaning up (especially the roof).

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement from a few pages back! Haven't had much time to work on the model lately but I'm definitely going to try that sponge chip technique.

Chuck_D posted:

Someone please 3D print a set of trucknutz in 1/16 scale. Hell, do it in 1/35 and I'll put them on my models just to troll the assholes at Missing Lynx.

I read this ten minutes ago and immediately ran to my 3d printer. I gave the paint some texture with a q-tip which resulted in pubes.

Friend fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 11, 2024

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Yeah I can put some in an envelope. Spent the day perfecting it so it looks way less lovely and finally has a hanging hole. There are a bunch on Etsy for RC cars too, a little bigger than technically accurate but the same model stolen from thingiverse

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I don't know how y'all have the patience for some of this but I salute you.

As promised, here's my first model ever, a 1980ish Jeep Honcho. Paint sucks for a miriad of reasons and decals are delicate as heck huh? One just plum fell off of a light while I was showing my wife, not to mention the license plate that lost a corner (which she wisely suggested I cover with a bunch of mud)

3D printed truck nutz have been distributed by the way. If you want your own, pm me. I only require something small and/or flat in return.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I cannot assist you much in the discussion on steam engines or trains as I'm not into that. I know a bit about r/c construction equipment and a decent amount about r/c semi trucking though. It's amazing the level of complexity and detail you can in many r/c kits these days. The price for the super scale, niche stuff can get up there....but it's cheaper than full size! That's what I tell myself, anyways.

Here are pics of the 1/14 Tamiya Globe Liner semi truck tractor I built last year. Had full lights and sound, and I installed an engine shaker unit to where when the truck was "running", the truck would indeed shake like it was idling. I built this truck be an off-highway style hauler. Wound up selling it though to go with the heavy duty Cross R/C truck that I showed in my last post.

I did the truck in colors to match my Tacoma.

I think we're supposed to be best friends? I settled for my jeep honcho model because it was cheap, but I specifically wanted to do a cab-over to match my grandpa's he used to deliver propane in the 70s, and settled on this because I could sorta make it match my blue Tacoma. That looks awesome.

Edit: noooo I don't want to snipe this thread

Friend fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 28, 2024

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

First but hopefully not last! As corny as it sounds, every model you build is a learning experience. "XYZ thing is tricky - maybe there's a better way to do that. ABC technique worked well, but I think I can do it a little differently to get an even better effect." It's easy to get discouraged with some of this stuff, but don't. Maybe try a new technique on each model you build. You're already digging into some weathering so maybe expand on that if it interests you. Grab (or make!) some washes and start slopping those around and I think you'll be surprised with the results.

Yeah most of the frustration was my impatience, gluing some of the pieces together when I should have painted first. That and an inability to paint details well with the tools I had, but I'm looking forward to starting a new one. Definitely want to try with another cheap car/truck and try to make it look neater before I tackle a big semi. Might even get an airbrush, I had no idea they were so cheap.

That said, when it comes to model reissues, is there any advantage to getting a more recent one? This Peterbilt was created in 1970, and there is a 2012 version, a 2017 version with Coke decals, and a 2023 version with Coors. If I don't give a poo poo about the decals, should I just save money and go for the older ones or will there be some level of QC improvement by getting a more recent one? Seems like a stupid question but some comments on these models say it sucks and it's impossible to build and others say the opposite, and one review of the 2012 showed a ton of flashing but an unboxing of the 2023 looked perfect.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Chuck_D posted:

I've wanted to do battle damage on a model since I was kid. :D

I call this one "Bit of a rough go today, eh, chap?" A 610 Squadron Spitfire Mk Ia returns home after tussling with some Messerschmitts over the Channel.

Now that this is done, I can get working on the payment for Friend, purveyor of micro-scale Trucknutz™.

I said I would accept a cardboard coaster from a local bar or a 90's pog you have in a drawer or some random sticker or whatever the gently caress would fit in an envelope. Your models ITT have been super inspiring and motivational and dope as hell so don't worry about finding something perfect! I literally hit a few buttons and my robot printer whirred for 5 minutes to make a dozen tiny nut sacks.

Send me something dumb before I have to give you a red text about testicle theft >: (

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Chuck_D posted:

The check is in the mail! I swear it! :D

You're off the hook, the tiny singing (were?)wolf arrived today and is howling on the hood of my pickup, thank you

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Starting model number 2, the bizarre 007 Diamonds Are Forever police car. I wanted to try to get somewhat of a nice shine to the paintjob though. I got some absurdly-fine sandpaper and actually bothered to do a coat of primer this time, but I'm not ready to buy an airbrush. Do I have any chance brush-painting the body and sanding it or should I just get a can of spray paint at home depot? Any tips on number of coats/how long to sand/etc. is hugely appreciated

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That old AMT kit? I haven't built that kit, but having built some re-released older AMTs, I'll say this: please don't let it turn you off of modelling altogether.

Oh yeah it's total dogshit (and all I have to compare it to is a revell pickup), I just wanted something to practice painting with before I get a model I actually care about. Thanks for the tips!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Friend posted:

Oh yeah it's total dogshit (and all I have to compare it to is a revell pickup), I just wanted something to practice painting with before I get a model I actually care about. Thanks for the tips!

Update: I loving hate hate hate this model and the garbage cheap airbrush I got on amazon. Nothing fits on the model, and as for the sprayer, I'd get a more even coverage if I filled my mouth with paint and went "spppptttthhh." I had a whole long paragraph typed out but I will spare the thread. Just needed to vent a little.