Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
How do people manage to get eyes painted on their scale models? Whenever I try to go for any face detail on various 1/35 plastics, I get a blurry mess, especially if there's primer underneath. Am I priming wrong? Dry-brushing the face without a primer at least makes the features stand out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

Sorry for the double-post - are there any handy guides for painting different kinds of WWII-era camo? Thanks again!

Edit-- also, any suggestions for painting unit numbers or whatever on tanks, planes, etc? I've done some kits that came with decals you could apply, but I've got some kits that I'd need to do numbers myself (or buy decals I guess, if that's an option?).

I've seen stencils for sale, but buying decals would probably be cheaper if you don't need a lot.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I also practiced my weathering/wear and tear/battle damage.

I think I overdid it a bit.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
It's a 1/76, so it's tiny. Spots that seem to be reflecting light like the one under the view port on the side are really hard to spot without magnification.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, that's the one. I mostly have 1/35 models, but the German armoured cars are too nifty to miss, especially for five bucks.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

I think it looks pretty neat, but the paint almost looks a little thick - maybe it's just the camera, but the paint seems to be obscuring some of the sculpted details on the model (rivets, viewports, armor lines, etc). Like, I could understand that effect if you wanted the model to look like it just got towed out of a swamp after being submerged for 40 years or something, but I'm not sure if that's the effect you were going for. :(

This is an old and pretty cheap kit. I don't even remember if the viewports actually had the slit on them or not. The detail is more visible in the back where there are hatches and exhaust vents.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, there are some very interesting old kits out there. I want the Zvezda cossacks kit, but it's not even on their website :(

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

So that front "license plate", was that a decal? Or did you hand-paint that?

That kit comes with decals for the plates and the crosses. I got that effect by painting over the decal and then scraping the paint off with a knife.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Can I have a link? I can't find it.

Also, I scored a Trumpeter SdKfz 9 today for under $10 on sale. There's a crazy amount of sprues in there for a 1:72. Too bad most of the detail it going to end up being covered :(

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Zvezda modern warfare extravaganza!

This is the best photo I managed to get of the grenade launcher guy. Having a phone for a camera sucks. His face also didn't turn out so well.

There are two kits in here, and the difference between the two is astounding. Spetsnaz #1 (the sniper and the three soldiers in front of an envelope) comes with no accessories at all, just the figures, a gun for each one and a rocket launcher. The Spetsnaz Fire Support kit (soldier with binoculars, soldier with automatic mounted grenade launcher, the soldier lying down and the soldier without sleeves) come with a ton of stuff, like backpacks, ammo pouches, even two bases.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

hentaipanda posted:

Woo, a scale modelling thread! I just started my first ever model, the Apollo 11 lunar module and boy howdy this is an awesome hobby to pick up. So far so good, only broke one little tiny piece and I haven't lost any!

I do have a question though. How do you guys make the lines so straight? I suppose you use masking tape? I've been trying to paint my model with a brush and the results are rather disappointing. Visible brush strokes, colour being a little off on different parts etc. And no straight lines dammit :argh: Since I suppose it's a bit too soon to invest in an airbrush, are there any tips you guys can give on paint brushing areas? Nothing fancy, just some solid colours.

Also, do you generally paint the model as a whole, while it's still on the strue or each part of it before it goes on the main body?

Apologies if these have already been asked, I skimmed through some pages but didn't see anything. But you guys are awesome and I hope I develop my skills enough to match you at some point.

Masking tape and silly putty if you need the line to curve. If the colors are off, make sure you mix the paint before you start painting. It can sometimes separate into layers and give a slightly different shade if you leave it still for some time.

I tried both painting things on the sprue and assembled, and I like painting the whole thing at once better. You can also do some highlighting effects by painting the whole thing black and then dry brushing successively lighter shades of the color that it's supposed to be on top of that.

You'll get good once you do this enough. There are a lot of little things I figured out as I went along that seem obvious now.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, that works too. One thing you should remember is that glue makes the paint run a bit. Be careful when gluing painted parts together.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Here's a larger and a lot more detailed SdKfz 222 than I did a few months ago, this time in 1:35, the Tamiya one. I tried to weather this one too, but it was somewhat harder to do in this scale without an airbrush.

Bonus bunch of guys from various Zvezda kits.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Black spraypaint while going really really softly on the nozzle. Sometimes I get either too much paint coming out or large blobs, but it works pretty well in the absence of an airbrush.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Is there is significant difference between resin kits and plastic kits other than the price tag?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

EvilMuppet posted:

Odd, I'd say the opposite is true.

Yeah, I'm with the bigger sack idea. Also draping canvas over a wire frame won't be particularly difficult to do in a realistic manner.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Just finished a 1/16th Tamiya Tank Crewman. I think the face needs some work, but I'm afraid of screwing up. I don't know how to do them well :ohdear:

Also here's a small diorama with Zvezda Soviet Mountain Infantry I did a while back. I tried to make the uniforms look dirty and faded, but it just looks poorly painted in some places :(

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I just got a Trumpeter 1:16 WWII Soviet Officer figure, and there are a ton of tiny brass parts in there. What's a good way of gluing them on? Would regular cement be able to handle that, or will I have to use some sort of special one?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Super glue. Use a toothpick or a piece of wire to apply it or something.

Are you going to buy a 1/16 trumpeter t-34 to go with your officer figure?

I don't have enough display space for an entire 1:16 tank, unfortunately.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I finished the Trumpeter 1:16 Soviet Officer. I think it turned out pretty well. The stripes on the pants look pink in the photos for some reason, they're a standard red in reality.

The model is noticeably taller than the Tamiya 1:16 German Tank Commander. I've never encountered seen before, all my 1:35 figures are the same size (with the exception of the Zvezda tank crew).

It's not shown on the box art, but the kit comes with a PPSh submachinegun. The strap both for it and the map case has to be made out of paper.

The base and the little plate were also included in the kit. I'm going to put some kind of terrain/grass on there for a mini diorama. There is also an extra head without a cap, but with the same face, a flattened tank crewman's helmet, an alternate collar and a different pistol holster.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 6, 2010

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
If they're hollow, you can thread some string through the center, hang them up, spray them and have them dry like that.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I'll second that Trumpeter suggestion. I've seen some pretty drat detailed stuff on 1:72 Trumpeter models. The only downside is that some of the parts are really small and aren't very easy to glue on.

Does anyone know a good site to order models from that ships from Canada? Failing that, some place that delivers here in a timely fashion for non-ridiculous prices.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 23, 2010

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Keket posted:

drat you thread and all your pretty pictures and cool models, went out and got my first tank to try and build, here are the results.

Neat, I haven't actually seen any KV1 models for sale at all. What scale is this in? I like the rust effects.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I've made a Tamiya PAK40, as well as a stand with a bunch of sandbags on it. The sandbags turned out more like bricks, but it still looks more or less decent.

Click here for the full 1296x976 image.

Click here for the full 1296x976 image.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Great armour plating! Did it come in the kit or did you make your own?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I made a small trench diorama to stick a few figures into. I had better pictures, but most of them vanished to a filesystem error. All I could salvage were these two. Also the lighting in these pictures turned out really weird, the color of the sandbags is a lot yellower, and that PPS isn't anywhere as shiny.

The figures are a mix of a whole bunch of different sets. Two Zvezda ones, two Tamiya ones and a Dragon.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
None of your images work.

Some of the kits in there are pretty interesting. Definitely looking forward to E-series ones.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Nice tank! I thought I'd share one of my own that I did recently.

It's a really old Tamiya kit, but it's not as bad as reviews make it out to be. The only thing I don't like about it are the rubber band tracks.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Panzer II Ausf F or G, I forget which one. This kit.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 24, 2011

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I finished a Tamiya R75 with sidecar. Pretty good for such an old and cheap kit.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Here's a (Zvezda?) ISU-122 in 1:35th scale. Since I got it partially completed with no decals, and I don't even have a printer with me right now, let along fancy decal paper, I did my own period-accurate inspirational slogan on the sides. Came out kind of crooked, but good enough. The figures are from a bunch of manufacturers. The tank crewman is Zvezda, the infantrymen with shoulderboards are MiniArt. The ones with PPS submachineguns are Tamiya and the remaining two are Dragon.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Cool tank! A word or warning: be careful with those Ukrainian kits. I don't know why, but every single one I've put together had ridiculously brittle small parts.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The snap together stuff is really boring. You'll get like 10 or 15 pieces for the entire model, and half of them don't even hold together very well, so you have to glue them anyway. I don't think any kit that doesn't cost ridiculous amounts of money will be too difficult to put together.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I don't think it would stop at the 6th kit. I look at the stuff I made when I was starting out that I thought turned out pretty well, and it looks terrible compared to what I can do now. At least you can always strip off the paint and redo it to acceptable standards.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
That's quite a number of models. I don't think I ever had a backlog that long, aside from the one time my grandfather sent me one of everything that Zvezda makes. I think I would run out of food money occasionally too if I didn't run out of room to display my models. I should probably take some of the figures off the general shelf and put them into dioramas.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Pretty nice! Yeah, the only thing missing is mud on the tracks and whatnot. If you're feeling adventurous, scrapes from ricochets or something.

I have put together the Tamiya Soviet anti-tank team kit recently.

The kit is pretty pricey for only five guys, a machinegun and a chunk of wall. The wall bits aren't detailed on the other side, you presumably have to glue them together, which gives you a ridiculously thick wall. On the upside, you do get two PTRDs, one with the handle in the carrying position and one with the handle in the firing position, as well as a sprue with extras: two helmets, a Degtaryov machinegun, two backpacks, 2 PPS and 2 PPSh 30 round mag submachineguns, 4 stick mag ammo pouches, one drum mag ammo pouch, one Mosin ammo pouch, two canteens and three trench shovels. Overall, not really worth the $30-ish you'll most likely pay for it, unless you're dying for a Soviet anti-tank team and can't spare a Panzerfaust from a German kit.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 21, 2011

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I wanted to modify a figure a bit, so I got some Tamiya putty (tube with the orange cap). How do I use it in a way that I do not poison myself and melt a hole through my floor?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What exactly are you trying to do? If you are trying to sculpt something to add to your model, you won't be able because it is far too thin (almost like paste). It's supposed to be used for filling gaps, cracks, etc.

It contains a solvent that will dissolve plastic (this is how it adheres itself to the plastic), so there is a danger that if you use too much you will damage your model.

If you want to sculpt something, use epoxy putty

I needed to fill in some cracks that shouldn't be there. Googling suggests that it's suitable for that purpose. And you can't use it for sculpting? The box said you could :(

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yes, it is. I managed to fill in the gaps I needed filled without damaging anything. The putty seems to have shrunk when it dried, is it supposed to do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
And here's what I needed the putty for! I'm happy with my puttying job, you can't even see where the cracks used to be.

The kit is Trumpeter, Soviet Artillery Commander Inspection. The uniforms depicted on the cover are 1940-1943 type, but the figures themselves don't have any insignia on them, aside from the stars on the hats. I tried to make the chevrons from putty and that didn't work so well. Still, it depicts a rather uncommon subject matter. Now I just need to get that 203mm howitzer that's show in the background on the box, but it seems to be not only rare, but fairly expensive.