Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009
Figured i'd come in here and post my 2 cents worth.
I bought an Iwata BCR and a compressor (also Iwata) that i don't remember the name of right now. I got the both of them as a set for $190, which i thought was pretty cool. The Compressor itself, online, was $200.
Anyway, i got into it because i *really* wanted to try my hand at painting the miniatures from the Starship Troopers miniatures game. The game itself failed, but i was able to buy a crapload of the figures kits for cheap.

I have to admit that i absolutely love the Warrior Bugs. they take about 15 seconds to put together and they really are just a joy to paint.

I'm not great at painting. I have Carpel Tunnel syndrome and i have a hard time getting a real fine spray pattern, considering they don't make a .03 needle for my AirBrush.

I bought a Flames Of War Tank, but it was too small for me to really put much effort into it. I have a couple of models that i havn't put together yet, but i have a P-51 Mustang from Tamiya that i use a test for different paint colors.

My camoflage pattern is terrible, but maybe, JUST MAYBE, i can offer a gem of advice for anyone who needs it.

For stencils, honestly, go to Office Max/Office Depot/favorite Office supply warehouse, and buy those plastic sheets that teachers used to use with the Overhead Projectors. I bought a box of 100 sheets for $18, and they are honestly one of the best investments i've made so far.

As far as paints go, i use Vallejo Acrylics. The colors mix okay although the guy at the local Riders Hobby told me to use a 50/50 mix of paint and water, althought that was bad advice.

I'm working on a Mitchell 2-engine bomber but i'm not happy with the way its going. I think i'm going to shift away from Tamiya, it seems like the majority of their models are warped/edges don't meet right. I considered buying one of the various flavors of joiners/Green stuff/whatever you want to use to close gaps, but i'd rather buy quality models that don't need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009
I went to a somewhat-local Hobby store earlier today. It was a bit of a drive, not that that stopped me from blowing $100.
My question is this, Is there a reccomended Website-store to buy Models and miniatures? I saw some of the WH40k, which i had never paid much attention to, that i would LOVE to paint. Except that the store i went to...i'm convinced had a 150% markup. Seriously. Who would pay $120 for a miniature... of ONE thing?
Also, looking for an Online store that sells Vallejo Air Model, since my REAL local store just got bought out by some POS company that only sells R/C stuff.
I need me some paints and new models :(

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009
Anyone use the Iwata HP-TR1, Trigger/dual action/side feed Airbrush? anything special i need to know about it? Mine arrives in the mail in a few hours.

Also, anyone ever painted (or played) Alternate Events WW2 miniatures game?

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009
Those Ma.Krotes looked absolutely amazing. The various types of armored-suit looking things not so much (terrible seam lines). The price is awful as well.
I saw that one of the contributing people for Fine Scale Modeler did a hover tank of some sort in that line.

Obviously it looked superb when he did it, but he mentioned that it was $80 and that was a bit much for something not four feet long.

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009
Nice Weathering on that Motorcycle thing up there.

Forgive me for asking, but so what if its a recast? I'm not trying to be snarky.
If its a recast, will it be lower quality? missing peices?

Also, Is painting resin any different than any other model (plastic) ?

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009

Cakefool posted:

I generally agree buying a recast is a poor idea, but if someone made a model, cast 200 of them & said that's it, no more, you'll likely never see, nevermind get the opportunity to buy one. Your only chance of getting hold of one is a recast, do you just say "Ah, nevermind, no-one will ever sell their unassembled, unpainted model, I'll just think about it wishfully" or do you buy the recast, knowing the artist isn't being deprived?

I probrably couldn't have said this better.
From what i understand, these models (the ones currently being discussed, the Krotes) aren't in production anymore. I went to the website on the last page, granted i don't read (whatever language that is) but i kind of thought that they weren't in production.

If they aren't in production, i'd have no problem buying recasts.

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009
Ever since i bought my airbrush, i've been using Vallejo acrylic paint exclusively. I guess i never really thought about it, but is there any reason why i can't buy and use the bigger (cheaper) bottles of non-name brand acrylic paint, as long as i thin it?
Paying $2.59 or so plus S&H (since my local hobby shop decided to go RC-only) for a tiny bottle of paint seems stupid, when i can get 8oz or 20oz bottles, whatever size they are, for $4 or $5, whatever they cost. Granted the selection isn't great, but i really enjoy mixing my own colors.

TL;DR
Any reason i can't use cheap paint in aibrush instead of more expensive stuff

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009
Keeping in mind i'm not a professional, but that compressor doesn't say anything about coming with a filter (most car tire pumps don't) but also...thats probrably more compressor than you need.

Unless it has a setting that allows you to change how much PSI/whatever measure of unit you use, you might be getting an awful big blast of air out of an airbrush. Youll hopefully buy (if you don't already have one) an adapter to allow that Compressors hose to fit your airbrush. And you'll want a airbrush-brand specific air regulator (IE:how much air actually reaches the airbrush, it's basically a valve between the airbrush and the hose)

I always thought that for Airbrushes, you were supposed to get one specifically made for airbrushes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009
I guess Airbrush brand specific was a little vague, sorry about that.

There are companies that make compressors specifically for airbrushes. Like Iwata-medea, who also make Airbrushes.

I was told not to mix brands (Badger/Iwata-medea) Even though my airbrush CAME with adapters to put an iwata-medea airbrush on another brand of compressor.

Then again, my information came from my LFHS guy, so i probrably got skewed information. That still seems like more compressor than an airbrush would need.

Sorry for any confusion, a google search says that a regulator isn't what i'm talking about. What i was talking about is an External Mac Valve, which lets me adjust airflow between the compressor and the airbrush, one of these;
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWHH8

FlashBewin fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 27, 2010