Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the straightforward solution is to pony up for a workable set of tracks, paint them and then slide them on over the wheels and sprockets

I know that aftermarket tracks can be kind of pricey and a real chore to put together but I think I'm going to start using them because I've about had it with vinyl tracks. The tracks on the Tamiya Bradley I'm working on are just so horrendous looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
On a whim I got some AK weathering pencils. These things are pretty awesome and easy to use. I did some experimentation on one of the side panels of a Bradley I'm working on and I like the results.

Water soluable too if you make a mistake or want to do some blending.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
But can you get GUNMETAL watercolor pencils?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So since we are on the topic. What are some good modeling paints/supplies that you can find cheaper at a Hobby Lobby type place since they aren't "modeling" specific?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Space Jam posted:

Also it’s kinda funny how a model will look great with your own eyes but a close up photo will taunt you. Whatever, I’m proud of it.

I always had the opposite reaction. I've built a lot of models that I wasn't 100% happy with but they ended up looking great from a few feet away and in pictures. I guess because I'm not taking extreme close up macro shots.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I find it easier to paint the tools separately then glue them to the tank.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Friend posted:

Here's the truck in progress. The frame isn't attached to the body yet, and just ignore the bed, I'm going to try to experiment with the "paint rust then paint blue then sand lightly" trick. Also a lot of the rust/mud needs cleaning up (especially the roof).

The rust and overall weathering of the truck looks very nice especially for a first model.

Something that might be almost free for you is to try sponge chipping. Just cut a tiny piece of sponge (like the one you maybe already have in your sink) grabit with some tweezers, wet the sponge then dab it in a little bit of whatever paint you want to use for rust effects and then dab it on a paper towel until theres almost no paint left on it. Then go ahead and dab it lightly on the areas of the model you want to look chipped and rusty. It can produce surprisingly nice results.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Im almost finished with my Tamiya Bradley IFV (pics to come soon). I painted it in desert yellow as I was going for an Iraq war version. Anyone have any tips on how to get a good dusty finish? Im aiming for more of a "dusty from rolling around the streets of Baghdad" look as opposed to the "dustiness of rolling through the open desert for days on end" look if that makes any sense. I was thinking dabbing it with some light colored pigments might be good enough? I especially want the tracks to look very dusty.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Pigments work well. For the all over dust coat you're describing though, people will often make a very dilute mix of paint, 10 to 1 thinner vs paint, and very lightly spray that over the lower chassis, fading it as it goes higher up. With such a dilute paint, you can get a very hazy, light fade, that you can build in layers to suit your taste.

I've heard of this before but never tried it. Any idea what would be a good paint color to use for this?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
The Bradley is doneish.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Very nice work! Did you end up using pigments, or a light spray coat for the dust? Either way, it turned out great!

Thanks! I have some Vallejo desert yellow pigment so I just dabbed it on with a stiff brush and it worked pretty well. It was definitely the lazy way to do it lol. It kinda sucks that it ended up covering some of the chipping but I guess that would happen to a real Bradley too. I'm still debating if I want to attach stowage to it I guess it would look more realistic if I did.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Zodack posted:

Question for those of you who spray with lacquers:

I moved into a new house recently, upgrading from a small apartment, and want to swap over to the hotter stuff from acrylics. I initially planned to use the garage to spray, but know some people locally who swear by spraying indoors in a booth. I've got a room in the house set aside for hobby stuff, it's got an overhead fan and my booth can vent out a window. Is that enough ventilation to spray indoors? This feels almost like being new at the hobby and googling silly things like "how much thin cement to use" or "what psi to put your airbrush on" but since the fumes are toxic I figure better safe than sorry.

The room is 10x10 or thereabouts with one window and is only used for hobby work, nothing else

Like others have said you should be fine if you have a ventilated spray booth and a respirator. But some other things that help is if you have any other windows in the room to open them and if you have an window fan that can extract air even better. Also I like to have a standing fan behind me facing the windows when I spray. And I always leave the room with all the various fans running for at least 20 mins after I'm done spraying.

But if you have a garage that's a thousand times better. Id kill to have a garage to airbrush in. I know it's not always the best depending on how hot/cold it is but for ventilation purposes it would be a lot better than spraying in a room.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I have a question about chipping fluid. Will it only remove paint layers that are applied above it and leave anything applied below it? For example, Im building a tank and want to have some paint chipped off exposing some red primer underneath. I dont have red primer at this time and dont live anywhere near a model shop. But I do have gray tamiya primer, and red Vallejo acrylic paint so I thought I would prime it, lay down the red paint over it (to simulate red primer), then apply a layer of chipping fluid, then apply the green top coats. Then I would do the chipping and hopefully it will only expose the red. What Im worried about is will the chipping fluid eat into the red paint and when I do the chipping it will remove everything down to the gray primer? I hope that makes some sense. I definitely plan on leaving the primer and red paint alone for at least 24 hours before applying anything over them so hopefully this doesnt happen.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Theoretically yes, that is the point. But it depends how vigorously you chip, how well the layer beneath adhered, etc. I like to put on some kind of clear coat beneath the chipping layer, and let it really set up hard. Ideally, use stuff that isn't affected by whatever you use to thin the chipping goo.

Oh clear coat that's a good idea I didn't even think about that. I have plenty of lacquer clear coats that should protect whatever I don't want chipped. Thanks!

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I got this sanding sponge set off Amazon. You get a wide variety of grits and lots of it for real cheap especially compared to Tamiya sanding sponges. The only downside is they aren't as flexible as Tamiya.
18 Pcs 320-2500 Grit Sanding Sponge, Ultra Fine Sanding Sponges Pads, Soft Foam Sand Block Wet Dry Sandpaper for Model Drywall Metal Wood Furniture Polishing https://a.co/d/5ZcWfEI

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Zodack posted:

Lacquer in hobby room update: primed a kit today using Tamiya Fine Surface Primer with the window fully open and a fan behind me and my usual 3m mask with pink OV filters. There's a lingering odor after I was done, though not very strong. Figure that's par for the course. My booth has one of those blue mesh filters that goes in front of the fan and frankly at the rate that thing picks up particles it makes me wonder if it's useful at all or blocking airflow. It was fine for acrylics, a bit leery with lacquers. Picked up some Tamiya Lacquers and Gaia Notes are in the mail, so we'll see how things shake out as I go. Good news is weather is up to 60s this week so I'll take it as a sign that the garage is a good backup if I need it.

Mostly this has reminded me what an abject mess the room is in and my hobby stuff is in post-move, it's just parts and boxes in piles with no organization.

I assume you're talking about the rattle can Tamiya primer. I've always noticed that spray paints leave a lot more residual fumes than when I've airbrushed lacquers. Maybe it's all the propellant. And yeah those filters get clogged up pretty fast. Thankfully it's just aquarium filter floss material and you can get a big roll of it on Amazon for pretty cheap.

So anyway I had another question about chipping fluid. Is there like a time limit on how long it will "chip"? So like if I sprayed the fluid on a model, then like a week goes by before I can spray the top coats will the chipping action no longer work when I wet it with water?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Zodack posted:

Yeah, I'd love to run primer through the airbrush but it seems like the only way to get it from Tamiya is to decant it from the can (or I'm bad at searching online / looking through my local hobby store's stock). I actually did not know what the filter was made of so thanks for the pointer!

Tamiya sells their primers in a jar and it's pretty thick stuff so you need to thin it quite a bit with their lacquer thinner to be able to airbrush it. But, I find it incredibly hard to clean out of my airbrushes. Like moreso than regular lacquer paints. I generally use hardware store lacquer thinner to clean my airbrush but for whatever reason Tamiya primer is just so resistant to it. I guess that's why it's such good primer. Acetone would probably work better. But for that reason that's why I almost exclusively use their spray can primers now. It's just so much easier.

Also Mr Hobby makes really good primers that you can airbrush too. I haven't tried them myself but they seem to be really amazing from what I've seen online.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Zodack posted:

The jar that looks similar to mark setter/softer jars or a cement jar with a longer stem? I legitimately thought that stuff was special surfacing primer that was not intended for thinning into an airbrush

It's the same square jar style as their mark setters. It's the same primer as the spray cans just a whole lot thicker.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Zodack posted:

Lacquer attempter back with more questions:

I've got a bottle of Tamiya Flat White. I also have a vortex mixer, so I mixed it up with that before spraying. I've read Tamiya is a 2-1 thinner to paint mix for lacquers, but even undiluted it seems really thin. I'm used to thinning acrylics but that generally feels like mixing water with a thicker solution. I tried spraying around 30 and then around 25 psi as it seemed very diluted. A few observations:

1) unthinned I seem to use a ton of paint to get a decent coat on a piece
2) thinned I see what looks like a wet coat buildup but very, very little pigment

White was likely a bad choice for a first attempt. There was some gunk at the bottom of the jar that I freed up with my pipette and then I sent it through the vortex again.

Any pointers? I could be doing things correctly and not being patient with thin coats, but unthinned I was seeing 10ish pipette drops only making the first mist coat on a single piece.

Edit: Small update, tried out a dark blue at 2 paint : 1 thinner at 20 psi and it went on much more nicely, though maybe not as smooth as I was imagining. Could be I've been babied by the darker Vallegjo model air colors for too long

I've airbrushed tons of Tamiya lacquers and always mixed 1:1 paint to thinner and never had any issues spraying at around 18-20 psi. What are using for thinner? Obviously Tamiya lacquer thinner works great but my favorite was Mr Hobby leveling thinner. And like you said, white is always the most difficult color. My best tip for you with that is always spray white paint over white primer. If you're spraying over anything darker than white it's going to take a million coats which is not ideal for a number of reasons.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Why is it that Tamiya tooling from 35 years ago (like the Nissan R32 GTR or 300ZX or even older stuff like a lot of their tank models) still holds up so well compared to other brands like Revell or AMT? Do the molds need to be changed out periodically and some brands don't do that?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I swear by lacquer based primers like Tamiya and Mr Hobby. Especially if you need to sand the primer. Acrylic based primers like Vallejo I don't even know what makes them a "primer". They sure as hell don't bite into the plastic.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

Possibly stupid idea: can I airbrush Tamiya Accent Panel Liner onto plastic primed with lacquer (Mr Surfacer)?

I'm doing a one-off project (painting a Digimon virtual pet black as a gift, remember those things? They still sell them at markup to sad millennials) and want the paint coat to be rock solid, able to withstand everyday pocket and purse jostling.

I've read that enamel is my best shot but I don't feel like ordering a whole bottle for 1-3 coats and I have this panel liner lying around and it's enamel, soooo...

If you really want to protect it hit it with a 2K clear coat after you're done painting it. I'm pretty sure you can get 2k In gloss, semi gloss and matte finishes.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Dumb question: Is there any point in upgrading the hammer?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

I just pass a lighter up and down the needle for a few seconds, that clears it out.

I've heard other people say this. That has to be incredibly toxic though. I would do it outside.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Tamiya is releasing a new sportier version of the Datsun 240Z and oh God it's going to get me back into car modeling
https://www.tamiya.com/japan/produc...sTN-7rG6Kw9otGU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I am also working on a F4U Corsair. I have been building car and tank kits for a while but this is my first plane. After painting it I hit with a gloss coat so I can do the decaling, but my question is what kind of clear should I put over it after that? Right now it kind of looks "correct" with the gloss coat so maybe I should use gloss? Or would semi gloss look more realistic? I have matte too but I feel like that might not look right. The real planes seem to have a little bit of shine.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

netizen posted:

Which kit are you building? I'm building Tamiya Vought F4U-1D Corsair 1:48

The painting instructions say:

I was planning on going with Tamiya sea blue (XF-17) and finish with a glossy clear coat. I know nothing about planes though, so that might not be accurate. Some of the finished models I've seen on reddit have a matt or satin finish which don't seem quite right based on pics I've seen. So Idk...

Did you model yours with the wings folded? I can't quite make up my mind if I want the wings folded or not. Seems like it could be a pain in the rear end and my modeling skills are basically zilch at this point.

I'm working on the 1/72 Tamiya F4U. It doesn't have folding wings but if it did I would definitely do unfolded. Folded would probably be cool for an aircraft carrier diorama. Id upload some pics but the imgur uploader isn't cooperating with me right now but I'm going with a pretty worn look, like the ones that were land based on Pacific islands. Apparently that lime green color in the cockpit is a primer and the whole plane is painted with it so I did some chipping effects with that color as well as some exposed metal. Again, I wish I could post pics.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

my type 59, tank 390 project is finally complete. and by complete coincidence* i finished it on the anniversary of the fall of saigon.

album with the rest of my photos here:
https://imgur.com/a/apUpqZE

e: album of some of the reference photos i used
https://imgur.com/a/wW0lgWq

*this would have been finished months ago if i didn't decide i needed to paint each part of the project 3 or 4 times until i got sick of it

That's awesome. What model is that?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Now that imgur uploads work I can show you all the Tamiya 1/72 F4U Corsair I just finished. I've been building car and tank models for years but this is my first plane model. I made tons of mistakes but I'm pretty happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

That plane is amazing. How do you get the blue paint to come through the decals? Is it paint on it, or you scrape away or dissolve it somehow?

Thanks a lot! It's paint. Basically I just sponge chip over the decals with the body color. I started doing this because I would build a model, do all the various chipping on it then apply the decals and it would look really off because the body would look kind of worn but the decals (which in real life would be painted on) looked pristine. Also one time I damaged a decal putting it on and a little bit of it tore off and I realized it actually looked more realistic that way. So now for decals I'll usually dab a little paint on them so they don't look so new and clean compared to the rest of the body.