Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PowerCosmic
Feb 11, 2010
Cool thread! Are Gundam model kits welcome here? If so, I'll have to start taking some pictures and sharing.
I come from a studio arts background; yet, I've never tried painting model kits. I would really love to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerCosmic
Feb 11, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

Well I'm glad I found out about this thread. I've built a few things, and while most of it isn't really amazing, I still have fun doing it. Most of the following is hand painted (the stug III, Skyline, and Porsche are exceptions though). I have a paasche, but it doesn't get much use.

Don't sell yourself short. Those are some sweet paintjobs, man!

PowerCosmic
Feb 11, 2010

Midjack posted:

One thing I've been told when trying to color match is that small kits seem darker than the full size article. Not sure exactly why this is; it probably has something to do with the way the brain sees colors (small things reflect less light).

I haven't run into this myself yet; have any of you?

I've not heard of this phenomena myself but your logic makes sense. Also, I personally (and foolishly) tend to put kits on a shelves rather than well-lit, exposed desktops/tabletops. This habit is, of course, in direct contrast to how the genuine article would be displayed; so I can say on a personal level that the lighting conditions are dramatically different.

PowerCosmic
Feb 11, 2010
This thread inspired me to finish my Zaku 2.0 gundam model kit over the weekend. I ended up having to use more adhesive than I would have liked, but oh well.

What's the best glue to use on plastic kits?

PowerCosmic
Feb 11, 2010
Thanks for the advice! Ordered a few Testors "Model Master" Liquid Cement applicator online. Should be immensely less messy than the tube of gorilla glue I used over the weekend.